King Charles to acknowledge ‘painful’ past on state visit

Started by Borchester, October 11, 2023, 10:03:04 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on October 12, 2023, 09:43:05 AM

Nothing wrong with apologising. All this continual self pity on the part of the Kenyans demeans them, but costs us nothing and gives our professional victims a lonely thrill. So I am ok as long as we don't have to put our hands in our pockets

Well we are Kenya's biggest overseas investors so I guess some of that is putting our hands in our pockets .
Generally speaking though the act of apologising for past generations actions could never end ,there will always be somebody looking for a free lunch so its best to nip it in the bud and say we wont be apologising for anything . 
To be fair though the royals are using language that stops short of an apology so no harm done either way 

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 12, 2023, 09:00:11 AM
Yes, how many times will be enough...?
I would have told them to do one when they started getting all noisy about us apologising .Once was embarrassing enough for me .

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 12, 2023, 07:32:01 AM
How many more times do our representatives , in this case the King , have to apologise for perceived injustices of the past ? 

When all's said and done Kenya compares pretty well with other east African countries with millions of pounds in direct investment from the UK every year .

Nothing wrong with apologising. All this continual self pity on the part of the Kenyans demeans them, but costs us nothing and gives our professional victims a lonely thrill. So I am ok as long as we don't have to put our hands in our pockets

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 12, 2023, 07:32:01 AM
How many more times do our representatives , in this case the King , have to apologise for perceived injustices of the past ? 

When all's said and done Kenya compares pretty well with other east African countries with millions of pounds in direct investment from the UK every year .
Yes, how many times will be enough...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on October 11, 2023, 10:03:04 PM
to Kenya

Nothing wrong with that. Provided it does not translate into either aid payments or an increase thereof.:)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/11/king-charles-to-acknowledge-painful-past-on-state-visit-to-kenya

When all's said and done Kenya compares pretty well with other east African countries with millions of pounds in direct investment from the UK every year . 

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on October 11, 2023, 10:10:59 PM
I can't open that link Borky.

Sorry about that Nick. No one hangs onto the spoondollies like the Guardian.

See if it works now 
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on October 11, 2023, 10:03:04 PM
to Kenya

Nothing wrong with that. Provided it does not translate into either aid payments or an increase thereof.:)

https://archive.ph/malb7#selection-1199.0-1199.66
I can't open that link Borky. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Algerie Francais !