Convicted criminals could avoid jail from next week because prisons are full

Started by SKY News, October 14, 2023, 07:07:51 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on October 14, 2023, 09:45:42 AM
There are only two viable solutions.

Build more prisons which will cost a lot of money. Or imprison fewer people, which risks leaving more scumbags on the streets free to commit more crimes.

I suggest we try and avoid having to pay for the former by finding effective alternatives to imprisonment for some non-violent offenders who have not committed property crime and have hurt no one. Eg, why imprison someone for driving whilst disqualified, when you can destroy his car, seize his property, impose loads of community service and heavy fines deducted at source from his income? All this would hit a lot harder than a couple of months in prison anyway.

And why waste prison space on some toe rag selling pot to willing adult customers? Confiscate his supplies, seize his property, evict him from his current home, shedloads of community service and heavy fines deducted at source from his legitimate income should be a hard enough hit. Jail could be an option in reserve if he continues but for a first or second offence the former should suffice so that he is not occupying a cell which could be used to keep violent or sexual offenders inside for longer.

If the crime does not involve violence or sexually unacceptable behaviour, does not involve the theft of any individual's or businesses' property, does not involve the wilful damage of property, no one is hurt and the only victims are consenting ones - eg someone buying a bit of pot - alternatives to jail should be encouraged. As far as I am concerned these alternatives can be as tough as they can be made to be.

But let's keep prison space insofar as we can reserved for those who pose a direct threat to people and their property, without having to fork out to build more prisons for such scumbags.
The other viable option is just keep cramming them in . I don't really care if there are 2 burglars in a cell or 20 .Making prisons a little more uncomfortable would maybe make some of them think twice about their life choices .

Barry

Crikey, Steve wants to make people homeless.

I'd rather reduce the prison population by sending the worst offenders to Ukraine to help in the war against Russia. Less serious offenders could be sent to an uninhabited island, given some building materials and a food starter pack and learn to fend for themselves.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

There are only two viable solutions.

Build more prisons which will cost a lot of money. Or imprison fewer people, which risks leaving more scumbags on the streets free to commit more crimes.

I suggest we try and avoid having to pay for the former by finding effective alternatives to imprisonment for some non-violent offenders who have not committed property crime and have hurt no one. Eg, why imprison someone for driving whilst disqualified, when you can destroy his car, seize his property, impose loads of community service and heavy fines deducted at source from his income? All this would hit a lot harder than a couple of months in prison anyway.

And why waste prison space on some toe rag selling pot to willing adult customers? Confiscate his supplies, seize his property, evict him from his current home, shedloads of community service and heavy fines deducted at source from his legitimate income should be a hard enough hit. Jail could be an option in reserve if he continues but for a first or second offence the former should suffice so that he is not occupying a cell which could be used to keep violent or sexual offenders inside for longer.

If the crime does not involve violence or sexually unacceptable behaviour, does not involve the theft of any individual's or businesses' property, does not involve the wilful damage of property, no one is hurt and the only victims are consenting ones - eg someone buying a bit of pot - alternatives to jail should be encouraged. As far as I am concerned these alternatives can be as tough as they can be made to be.

But let's keep prison space insofar as we can reserved for those who pose a direct threat to people and their property, without having to fork out to build more prisons for such scumbags.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

SKY News

Convicted criminals could avoid jail from next week because prisons are full

Convicted criminals could avoid jail from next week because prisons are full, according to reports.

Source: Convicted criminals could avoid jail from next week because prisons are full