Tamworth and Midbedfordshire?

Started by Borchester, October 20, 2023, 04:36:00 AM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

The idea of another Tory leadership contest before the next election might seem far-fetched, but it could happen. Although the Tories look set to lose the next general election whatever, how badly they lose could be affected by who is leader. 

My wildest imagination provides this scenario. Boris Johnson contests a by-election in a safe Tory seat early next year, manages to win the seat (just). Immediately begins a back-bench challenge to Rishi Sunak that culminates with Johnson becoming PM again in time for the election campaign. Tories heavily defeated in the election, Johnson gets blamed, leading to yet another leadership contest. 

I doubt if that's what will happen, but if it does, it would be the epitome of modern Tory behaviour.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on October 20, 2023, 04:36:00 AM
To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to lose one by election is unfortunate, to lose two makes Rishi Sunak look a bit of a head dick
Problem is that Rishi Sunak is probably the best of a fairly crumby Tory bunch.

In a more perfect world, these two defeats should slap some realism into the Tories, subdue the party's divisive factions, and allow Sunak to replace dead wood in the administration so it can formulate policies the UK needs, and give it a chance of another five years in power.

As it is, if Labour plays its cards right, it will be the next government. And, looking on the brighter side, a couple of terms in opposition might allow the Conservatives to resume their real Tory ideals...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on October 20, 2023, 04:36:00 AM
To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to lose one by election is unfortunate, to lose two makes Rishi Sunak look a bit of a head dick
Looks like we both got out of the fartsack at the same time borky . Thought the tories would lose a few votes with people staying at home in protest but didn't expect true blues to put their x in the other box 

Sunak has to go , a stiff brush through cabinet and the right of the party installed . Its the only way to avert what now seems inevitable 

Borchester

Algerie Francais !