Tamworth and Midbedfordshire?

Started by Borchester, October 20, 2023, 04:36:00 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on October 20, 2023, 08:43:21 PM
A Tory is someone who wants his or her laws made at Westminster. A remainer on the other hand, wants to be told what to do by Brussels and is just an arsehole.
That reads more the current definition of a dyed in the wool reactionary. 

Any real Tory worth their salt believes in their individual and the collective ability to thrive in, and help develop, a wider community for as many people as possible to enjoy. 

The elderly staid, withdrawing from the world and snuggling down comfortably in their potting sheds, and sniffing their own farts while being fed ideas by GB News in a fenced-off European off-shore Bhutan, are living a recipe for decline...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 20, 2023, 08:26:14 PM
You don't say what your idea of a Tory is.
Pretty Traditional for me . Small state , liberty and freedoms within a social structure . Defending our traditions ,family ,the rule of law and fiscal responsibility 
Many here appear to reckon it should be something like BNP and EDL shoehorned into Ukip or Reform, with nukes on the sidelines to rid ourselves of inconvenient third-worlders.
To be fair those parties have more conservative values than the conservatives do . I wouldn't go anywhere near the EDL but would have no qualms voting for any of the others if circumstances required it (which they have in the past). The more the country is pushed left the more inviting the right looks 
My ideal is based on the old Disraeli idea of one nation conservatism, founded as it was on the observed inequalities stemming from the industrial revolution...
Disraeli was a snob . He wanted to maintain the class system with everyone remaining in their place and knowing their obligations to society . That wasn't freedom or even conservatism it was serfdom 

Borchester

Many here appear to reckon it should be something like BNP and EDL shoehorned into Ukip or Reform, with nukes on the sidelines to rid ourselves of inconvenient third-worlders.

My ideal is based on the old Disraeli idea of one nation conservatism, founded as it was on the observed inequalities stemming from the industrial revolution...

A Tory is someone who wants his or her laws made at Westminster. A remainer on the other hand, wants to be told what to do by Brussels and is just an arsehole.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 20, 2023, 05:17:13 PM
Well put it like this , they are more Tory than Sunak , to me anyway ,looking on from the right to see if anyone's coming my way .

I see nobody by the way , not yet .Me too , along with the poll tax , that would liven up the layabout army :)

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on October 20, 2023, 04:43:27 PM
The only thing she did wrong was to invent global warming.

Well yes, but that was only to fettle the miners and while Global Warming put the kibosh on them, it was all fantasy anyway.

To my way of thinking Maggie's biggest mistake was to try and reform the rates.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 20, 2023, 03:29:56 PM
Are/were Johnson and Truss Tories?

I don't think so, and they were certainly not followers of the One Nation Conservatism that caught my imagination when I began arguing politics with my dad twenty or more years ago. He is Labour and a staunch union member, and politically he still believes that ripping things out and replacing them is the way to go — I like the organic approach of Tory ideals which incorporates persuasion where possible, even to the point of paternalism and pragmatism and toughness when needed.

Thatcher had those qualities...
Well put it like this , they are more Tory than Sunak , to me anyway ,looking on from the right to see if anyone's coming my way . 

I see nobody by the way , not yet .
Quote from: Nick on October 20, 2023, 04:29:15 PM
Thatcher was an enigma, and unfortunately never to be repeated. Oh what would I give to have her back!!
Me too , along with the poll tax , that would liven up the layabout army :)

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on October 20, 2023, 04:37:48 PM
Boris Johnson is now the 'Jeremy Corbyn' of the Tory Party.

So Tory voters stayed away in the 2 by-elections . . . or rather, people who normally vote Tory didn't come out to vote. So they can't be counted on to vote Tory in future, can they?

The enigma of Thatcher was that she was a strong and principled PM, but with disastrous policies.
The only thing she did wrong was to invent global warming. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on October 20, 2023, 01:59:26 PM
Boris was who we voted in, and we had no say about his exit. If Boris was back as PM the Tories would win the GE.
Boris Johnson is now the 'Jeremy Corbyn' of the Tory Party.

So Tory voters stayed away in the 2 by-elections . . . or rather, people who normally vote Tory didn't come out to vote. So they can't be counted on to vote Tory in future, can they?

The enigma of Thatcher was that she was a strong and principled PM, but with disastrous policies.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 20, 2023, 03:29:56 PM

I don't think so, and they were certainly not followers of the One Nation Conservatism that caught my imagination when I began arguing politics with my dad twenty or more years ago. He is Labour and a staunch union member, and politically he still believes that ripping things out and replacing them is the way to go — I like the organic approach of Tory ideals which incorporates persuasion where possible, even to the point of paternalism and pragmatism and toughness when needed.

Thatcher was an enigma, and unfortunately never to be repeated. Oh what would I give to have her back!!

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 20, 2023, 02:31:41 PM
Its gone nick , the tory leadership  have pissed off too many people .Even the tories have had enough of them . They got rid of anyone who wanted to be a Tory against the members wishes , Johnson was hounded out , Truss removed for having the audacity of having Tory policy's and the man the money men wanted installed as their puppet in number 10 .

Streetwalker

Boris was who we voted in, and we had no say about his exit. If Boris was back as PM the Tories would win the GE.

As for the By-Election, the turn out was 30%, Tories simply didn't turn out, they will for a GE so no conclusion can be taken from that.
Its gone nick , the tory leadership  have pissed off too many people .Even the tories have had enough of them . They got rid of anyone who wanted to be a Tory against the members wishes , Johnson was hounded out , Truss removed for having the audacity of having Tory policy's and the man the money men wanted installed as their puppet in number 10 .

Borchester

As for the By-Election, the turn out was 30%, Tories simply didn't turn out, they will for a GE so no conclusion can be taken from that.

That is true, but the Tories have been trailing Labour by up to 20% in the opinion polls for the past year, so while these results were a surprise, I doubt that the Conservatives will find a general election a lot of fun either.

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 20, 2023, 02:12:40 PM
Don't see Labour as having to do anything Posty . I see them as the reserve striker who has been sitting on the bench for 6 months .

The fans are getting pissed at the useless T@@@ that's playing up front and are calling for his removal from the team . They of course forget that they guy on the bench is there for a reason

So the fans get their way and soon realise the useless T@@@ wasn't so bad after all ,well not as useless as the one now playing anyway

So the fans start calling for an alternative as they don't want either of the useless twats they want a new striker .

That is a neat analogy.

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 20, 2023, 01:18:07 PM
Problem is that Rishi Sunak is probably the best of a fairly crumby Tory bunch.

In a more perfect world, these two defeats should slap some realism into the Tories, subdue the party's divisive factions, and allow Sunak to replace dead wood in the administration so it can formulate policies the UK needs, and give it a chance of another five years in power.

As it is, if Labour plays its cards right, it will be the next government. And, looking on the brighter side, a couple of terms in opposition might allow the Conservatives to resume their real Tory ideals...
Don't see Labour as having to do anything Posty . I see them as the reserve striker who has been sitting on the bench for 6 months .

The fans are getting pissed at the useless T@@@ that's playing up front and are calling for his removal from the team . They of course forget that they guy on the bench is there for a reason 

So the fans get their way and soon realise the useless T@@@ wasn't so bad after all ,well not as useless as the one now playing anyway 

So the fans start calling for an alternative as they don't want either of the useless twats they want a new striker .

Nick