And now for some good news.

Started by Nick, October 27, 2023, 05:43:33 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2023, 10:08:03 PM
Pubs are closing all over the country, it has nothing to do with Brexit, it's due to drinking habits and the fact Supermarkets don't have to apply VAT to booze, pubs do.
Nick whether you like it or not Brexit is a factor. Supermarkets do have to apply VAT plus other tax to booze.

Alcohol Duty: rate changes - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

At the current VAT rate, and assuming 100% pass through wherever alcohol is purchased, from 1 August 2023 the tax on a typical:

• 4% ABV pint of draught beer will be 0 pence higher
  • 4% ABV 500ml bottle of non-draught beer will be 5 pence higher
  • 5% ABV pint of draught cider will be 2 pence higher
  • 5% ABV 500ml bottle of non-draught cider will be 5 pence higher
  • 40% ABV 25ml serving of whisky will be 3 pence higher
  • 5.4% ABV 250ml can of spirits-based RTD will be 6 pence lower
  • 11% ABV 250ml glass of still wine will be 5 pence higher

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2023, 10:08:03 PM
Pubs are closing all over the country, it has nothing to do with Brexit, it's due to drinking habits and the fact Supermarkets don't have to apply VAT to booze, pubs do.
This is true . Pubs used to be packed to the rafters at 5pm for a couple of hours back in the day as the workers had a well deserved pint or two . Then a short lull early evening before everyone came out to play again for the night time session .
A reduction in manufacturing , construction losing its jobs to migrants ,work from home , taxation and home drinking have all contributed to pubs losing its customers .

Many a rebellion was started over a pint of John Smiths , its why the government wont do anything to help the pub trade . Its a lot easier to control the population if they are indoors being fed BBC news ,at worst they are just shouting at the telly .

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2023, 03:03:45 PM
I don't live anywhere near Redruth. Pubs in Cornwall are now closing at an ever increasing rate there won't be many left after the next few months. (Also I cannot afford to go to a pub any more, the prices are ridiculous.)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 01, 2023, 07:10:49 PM
Which is why they are closing , locals dont use them . They will probably become seasonal .
They are closing for a combination of reasons, the over tourism taking up the vast majority of housing means that they can't get staff. That mean a lot of them had cut down opening time to 5 days a week. It is also of no benefit to them for the place being rammed with tourists with not enough money to go into a pub. (Also a lot of locals can't afford to go to a pub because of the high prices, low wages and the high cost of living.
Also other businesses are closing down including pasty shops due to high costs. 
Only yesterday this happened:- Cornwall building company goes bust with huge unpaid tax bill - Cornwall Live
Also locally a number of small businesses have given up trading, electricians, plumbers, and other one man bands.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2023, 03:03:45 PM
I don't live anywhere near Redruth. Pubs in Cornwall are now closing at an ever increasing rate there won't be many left after the next few months. (Also I cannot afford to go to a pub any more, the prices are ridiculous.)
Which is why they are closing , locals dont use them . They will probably become seasonal .

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 01, 2023, 02:56:14 PM
It is not something that I wanted to mention, but maybe the pubs aren't keen on serving Pappy. No offence meant, be he is hardly Redruth's Little Ray of Sunshine is he ?

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2023, 12:07:04 AM
National! you specifically said Cornwall. There are 3 large Tesco's in the Redruth area, none of which had empty shelves. You also said the pubs were not serving food which also was complete nonsense.

It is not something that I wanted to mention, but maybe the pubs aren't keen on serving Pappy. No offence meant, be he is hardly Redruth's Little Ray of Sunshine is he ?

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2023, 12:07:04 AM
National! you specifically said Cornwall. There are 3 large Tesco's in the Redruth area, none of which had empty shelves. You also said the pubs were not serving food which also was complete nonsense.
I also stated national and provided references for the shortages  nationally which you ignored despite the media/press/trade reporting of shortages. I stated pubs had "burgerised" menus due to staff shortages, not that they were not serving food. That still applies. (However given the rate that pubs, restaurants, and cafés are shutting down in the area. Next year is looking bleak for anyone wishing to eat out with vary little choice left.)
Even the Rick Stein "empire" is at risk. Due to tourists having empty wallets.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 31, 2023, 03:44:02 PM
Nick your personal experience did not and does not reflect the national picture.
National! you specifically said Cornwall. There are 3 large Tesco's in the Redruth area, none of which had empty shelves. You also said the pubs were not serving food which also was complete nonsense.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2023, 09:06:07 PM
My own experience is that there are (and have been) shortages of some products in supermarkets round here — Morrisons, Safeways, and Tescos — observed by actual empty shelves and other products spread out to fill empty spaces. The two products that come to mind are eggs and cooking oil. Some fruit and veg has been scarce too and of poor quality Mrs tells me.

We (meaning us, the P family) are not starving, but prices have risen — sometimes nearly doubled.

Now we're hearing company insolvencies are up: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/company-insolvency-statistics-july-to-september-2023/commentary-company-insolvency-statistics-july-to-september-2023

Are we really coping with Brexit...?
I think your own link shows the reason for the increase in insolvencies Posty , Covid .

My guess is that a lot of companies that took the rather generous government covid loans have made the decision to cease trading rather than pay back the loans .
This theory will be confirmed next year when in the run up to a GE there will be a good number of 'new' businesses starting up .

Mrs P is right though , fruit and veg from the continent is of poor quality and has been for a couple of years which can be put down to Brexit delays in transportation ,bad weather on the continent and the French .

On the plus side the residents on the estate (good old Croydon) have for a couple of years seen the community garden grow to provide good quality fresh veg for those who need it . 

So yes we are coping with Brexit , not quite how we imagined but coping all the same .

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on October 31, 2023, 04:00:05 PM
You did not mention the national picture.

You said that the shelves of your local supermarket were empty. Nick said that they weren't but you kept on lying, which is the source of your problem. You are a born liar who is so wrapped up in his own lies that he does not care that others know that he is lying.
My own experience is that there are (and have been) shortages of some products in supermarkets round here — Morrisons, Safeways, and Tescos — observed by actual empty shelves and other products spread out to fill empty spaces. The two products that come to mind are eggs and cooking oil. Some fruit and veg has been scarce too and of poor quality Mrs tells me.

We (meaning us, the P family) are not starving, but prices have risen — sometimes nearly doubled. 

Now we're hearing company insolvencies are up: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/company-insolvency-statistics-july-to-september-2023/commentary-company-insolvency-statistics-july-to-september-2023

Are we really coping with Brexit...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 31, 2023, 04:00:05 PM

Yes I did, as well as the local picture. (There was and still is loads of reporting about empty shelves and shortages nationally.)

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 31, 2023, 03:44:02 PM
Nick your personal experience did not and does not reflect the national picture.

You said that the shelves of your local supermarket were empty. Nick said that they weren't but you kept on lying, which is the source of your problem. You are a born liar who is so wrapped up in his own lies that he does not care that others know that he is lying.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2023, 03:13:55 PM
As you know, I showed that the shelves were packed to the rafters, and the pubs were in full flow.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on October 31, 2023, 02:47:38 PM
Bit of a technicality when, according to you, all the supermarkets in Cornwall are empty and the population has died of want
As you know, I showed that the shelves were packed to the rafters, and the pubs were in full flow.