'How on earth can you get to this point!’ Noddy Holder’s wife slams sex education in schools

Started by GBNews, October 29, 2023, 01:05:20 AM

« previous - next »

GBNews

'How on earth can you get to this point!' Noddy Holder's wife slams sex education in schools

Journalist Suzan Holder, wife of musician Noddy Holder, has criticised the state of sex education in schools, as Education Secretary Gillian Keegan detailed her plans for parents to have more access to what their children are learning in schools.

Appearing on GB News, Keegan detailed the "two things" she has done in assuring parents have the ability to see what their children are being taught in school in regards to sex education.

Speaking to Ellie Costello and Martin Daubney, Keegan revealed she has "written to all schools and parents", requesting that parents "must be able to see all materials around relationship, sex and health education".

Keegan added that she has appointed an "independent panel" who will investigate "age appropriateness and age limits for each area of sex education that's taught in our schools".

Suzan Holder appears on GB News

When questioned on transgender and LGBTQ ideologies being taught in schools, Keegan pledged to "bring forward gender questioning guidance, which enables teachers and head teachers to navigate what is a sensitive area that we do need to treat sensitively as well".

She added: "I'm working with the equalities minister and looking at what we can do in that space, and we'll be bringing it out for consultation. Hopefully it'll be out before the end of the year."

Martin then asked for Holder's response to Keegan's comments, highlighting that she was "raising her eyebrows" during her interview.

Holder revealed: "I worked for Childline in the NSPCC for five years, going into schools primary schools talking to children about all forms of abuse, and sexual abuse is one of the five forms that we would talk about."

Speaking of the material she taught in schools, Holder said: "We always made it available to the teachers in the schools, the schools then could if they wanted to, make it available to parents, and I think most of them did.

"We never had a problem with parents, but often I would find schools would say 'oh we don't want to talk to them about that'. Teachers would ask me to talk about sexual abuse that were mentioning the word sex, which we'd always reassure them we never had an issue."

Holder fumed: "So how we've gone from that, to now going into more explicit or more dangerous areas of things that aren't really based in fact, I've no idea.

"It was only a few years ago I was doing that and actually schools were very, very nervy about Childline going in and talking to children. So how on earth can you get to this point? I don't understand."

Gillian Keegan appears on GB News

Martin then asked if Holder was "convinced" by Gillian Keegan, to which Holder replied: "I think she gives a good account of herself actually, I think she does. I think she does seem to be across a lot of detail. I find her quite a reassuring presence.

"The devil is always in the detail and actions always speak louder than words. But she does give a good account of herself I do feel."

Commentator Andrew Eborn agreed with Holder's view on Keegan, admitting: "I think she is very good at getting out there, dealing with your very tough questions. And I thought she gave some credible responses.

"There are the devils in the detail. And as you said, there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed, of course."

Source: 'How on earth can you get to this point!' Noddy Holder's wife slams sex education in schools