Main Menu

Social Housing.

Started by Nick, November 02, 2023, 01:18:57 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2023, 10:35:30 PM
If you were living in a high rise ghetto your behaviour would change. The architects who design such housing should be forced to live in them.
Can't agree with that Papa . People don't start pissing in the lift because its there . They start pissing in the lift because they are scum . Ive seen some very well cared for privately owned tower blocks ,Ive also seen some toilets that are so because of the people they (normally the council) move into them 

Trouble arises when you get blocks in close proximity filled with the latter 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2023, 10:35:30 PM
If you were living in a high rise ghetto your behaviour would change. The architects who design such housing should be forced to live in them.
The architects have worked their arse off to achieve what they've got, this seems a concept missing in your life. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 02, 2023, 07:44:54 PM
They don't look too bad Nick , of course the inside is what matters most ,whether the residents are clean and tidy or scummy bastards that we are all to familiar with in UK high rise
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2023, 02:49:50 PM
Another view.

They don't look too bad Nick , of course the inside is what matters most ,whether the residents are clean and tidy or scummy bastards that we are all to familiar with in UK high rise 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2023, 02:41:37 PM
On your first point, the people owning 2nd properties are most likely 2 comma families, and a hike in rates would nearly make a difference.
Well if they stay at least they are paying a good lump toward council services 
The scheme I believe was targeted at fishermen, unfortunately the homes are a way from the coast, so tending a vessel in a high sea isn't as easy as looking out of your kitchen window and seeing her on the mooring.
You mentioning the fisher folk has jogged a memory .I think I remember a news item on it with the guy having to drive to his new house ,all bit vague though.

papasmurf

The scheme I believe was targeted at fishermen, unfortunately the homes are a way from the coast, so tending a vessel in a high sea isn't as easy as looking out of your kitchen window and seeing her on the mooring.
There is a fishing village near me where it has been close to 100% holiday homes/lets for years. As far as I am aware none of those fishing from there live there.  There was a crowd funder a couple of years ago to buy the buildings the  fishermen rented to use for  storage and fishing related work, because they were going to be sold off and converted into holiday homes. That would have a effectively stopped fishing activity in the village. The crowd funder raised sufficient money to buy the buildings for the fishermen. (I made a largish donation in memory of my friend Sharkey, who I used to go fishing with in the dim and distant past.)

Nick

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 02, 2023, 12:31:37 PM
Not compulsory purchase more like a very large rise in council tax for homes not used as the primary residence . That would likely flood the market with unwanted holiday homes /buy to let .which in turn would reduce the prices of which the council could take advantage .Thats good , lets hope all the people that need one get sorted . Housing is a pretty basic thing that councils/governments  should be able to provide . Even if it does mean building ghettos .
On your first point, the people owning 2nd properties are most likely 2 comma families, and a hike in rates would nearly make a difference.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2023, 10:42:23 AM
Plus ban AirBandB. (I also wonder are you suggesting compulsory purchase of the current second homes, because that would cost a lot more than building council housing.)
Not compulsory purchase more like a very large rise in council tax for homes not used as the primary residence . That would likely flood the market with unwanted holiday homes /buy to let .which in turn would reduce the prices of which the council could take advantage .
Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2023, 10:57:47 AM
Cornwall already has a scheme for building homes ONLY for locals.
Thats good , lets hope all the people that need one get sorted . Housing is a pretty basic thing that councils/governments  should be able to provide . Even if it does mean building ghettos .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2023, 11:16:41 AM
Nevertheless, something you failed to mention during your many rants.
It is so miniscule compared to the 26000 need it is not worth mentioning.   Cornwall Community Land Trust Limited (Cornwall CLT) which was established in April 2006. It is one of the most progressive and successful community land trusts in the UK, delivering or enabling more than 300 affordable homes and has more projects in the pipeline.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2023, 11:05:43 AM
Which is producing only a miniscule number of homes.
Nevertheless, something you failed to mention during your many rants. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2023, 10:57:47 AM
Which is producing only a miniscule number of homes.

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 02, 2023, 09:50:00 AM
You could halve that if there was a ban on second homes . Im all for people being able to enjoy their wealth as they please but when you have local people unable to find housing while there are thousands of properties standing empty for long periods there has to be something wrong

I have/had  family connections to a small village on the North Yorkshire coast of Staithes  where we used to holiday as kids which became a popular second home destination .

At one point it had just 12 permanent residents . Absolute madness 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 02, 2023, 09:50:00 AM
You could halve that if there was a ban on second homes .
Plus ban AirBandB. (I also wonder are you suggesting compulsory purchase of the current second homes, because that would cost a lot more than building council housing.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2023, 09:15:25 AM
Cornwall needs at least 26000 council houses.
You could halve that if there was a ban on second homes . Im all for people being able to enjoy their wealth as they please but when you have local people unable to find housing while there are thousands of properties standing empty for long periods there has to be something wrong 

I have/had  family connections to a small village on the North Yorkshire coast of Staithes  where we used to holiday as kids which became a popular second home destination .

At one point it had just 12 permanent residents . Absolute madness