Franklin Graham - eight venues cancelled

Started by Barry, February 15, 2020, 12:33:12 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=18206 time=1583738054 user_id=99
Graham stated that he was not interested in theology or science that had been debated for centuries, he was interested in the fact that when he told people "God says X" and "The bible says Y" that people believed him, and that he had power.

Fine, I have no problem with that at all.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry post_id=18201 time=1583710444 user_id=51
OK.

Interesting thing is, though, how does anyone judge what is truth? Your version of what you believe to be true would be different to mine and there are few axioms in the spiritual world.

Graham stated that he was not interested in theology or science that had been debated for centuries, he was interested in the fact that when he told people "God says X" and "The bible says Y" that people believed him, and that he had power.
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=18193 time=1583693526 user_id=99
Really it all depends on whether you value truth or not, Graham did not, he placed value in people believing him.

Personally I'm more in the camp of valuing truth.

OK.

Interesting thing is, though, how does anyone judge what is truth? Your version of what you believe to be true would be different to mine and there are few axioms in the spiritual world.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry post_id=18174 time=1583676252 user_id=51
I think that you'll find that both Billy Graham and his son taught on matters of faith, rather than matters of intellect.

Billy Graham was instrumental in the conversions of many thousands of people in the UK in the 1970s which contributed to a mini evangelical revival of the time.

All good for society, as the Christian ethos is.

Really it all depends on whether you value truth or not, Graham did not, he placed value in people believing him.

Personally I'm more in the camp of valuing truth.

Barry

I think that you'll find that both Billy Graham and his son taught on matters of faith, rather than matters of intellect.

Billy Graham was instrumental in the conversions of many thousands of people in the UK in the 1970s which contributed to a mini evangelical revival of the time.

All good for society, as the Christian ethos is.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Billy Graham was as out and out an intellectual fraud as you'd ever meet, I don't know much about his son but it seems reasonable after some searching online to see that he is in much the same mould as his father.

Templeton's memoir provides a look behind Graham's public front that remove the possibility that he may be considered a sophisticated, or intellectual voice, or even a theological one.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Barry post_id=16583 time=1581772509 user_id=51
The thing is, if he keeps to the Bible, the lobbyists will call that homophobic. Islam is anti-Christianity, so perhaps they are Christianophobic?

It all gets a bit silly, so no-one will soon be allowed to speak about anything at all in case of offence.

Yes but these things build up and get worse and worse and looking stupider each day until they reach the point of no return, and then it all comes crashing down on them. Mr Graham is clearly carrying on unperturbed. He knows it is a matter of patience. We see the same pattern over the lobby group to cancel the referendum. They have blown it big-style now. These foreigners telling us how we should run our country have got it coming to them. You know it is why i love the Chinese because they are very courteous when it comes to living here. They don't rock the boat and try and earn their respect. Perhaps the good people then will show the bad ones up and that will be that. PC has to get more ridiculous before it is toast.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

patman post

What's the difference between the Graham Church and the Swaggart Church and what do they really offer apart from another route to donate money...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=16585 time=1581772899 user_id=51
What do you think? Seems he is there against all odds, so he might be right.

I think both Trump and Graham are mad. But that does not mean I want Graham no platformed in Britain.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=16584 time=1581772607 user_id=89
He thinks Trump is "God's will."

What do you think? Seems he is there against all odds, so he might be right.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=16583 time=1581772509 user_id=51
The thing is, if he keeps to the Bible, the lobbyists will call that homophobic. Islam is anti-Christianity, so perhaps they are Christianophobic?

It all gets a bit silly, so no-one will soon be allowed to speak about anything at all in case of offence.

He thinks Trump is "God's will."

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Apparently because of his alleged homophobic and Islamophobic comments.

Barry

Franklin Graham had booked 8 venues to tour the UK as an evangelist. He is the son of Billy Graham - who was instrumental in the conversion of many thousands of people in the 1970s in the UK.
QuoteA government minister has called on the owners of venues who cancelled the booking of Franklin Graham to ensure they are not unlawfully discriminating on grounds of religion and belief.

The leader of the House of Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg, has been speaking after the US evangelist's UK tour was thrown into chaos after all eight venues previously booked cancelled, citing the division Graham's appearance would have on their cities.

Graham was due to preach in large arenas in eight different cities this summer. Despite the cancellations, he told Premier last week the tour will go ahead.

https://vimeo.com/391458628">//https://vimeo.com/391458628

Looks as if someone has been lobbying the venues.  :thdwn:
† The end is nigh †