Brexit benefit.....

Started by BeElBeeBub, November 22, 2023, 02:34:34 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on November 23, 2023, 05:28:50 PM
If you've protected yourself there would be no need to remove anything.
If I had protected myself I would have died of boredom

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on November 23, 2023, 12:43:58 PM
I once stepped on a high pressure steam line that ruptured and cooked my foot. Everyone chuckled as they cut my boot and and chucks of flesh off (they were like that in the Merchant Navy) and I laughed with them because who wants to be thought a sourpuss when they are twenty, but ever since I have thought sod the protection, I just want something easy to remove
If you've protected yourself there would be no need to remove anything. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

I once stepped on a high pressure steam line that ruptured and cooked my foot. Everyone chuckled as they cut my boot and and chucks of flesh off (they were like that in the Merchant Navy) and I laughed with them because who wants to be thought  a sourpuss when they are twenty, but ever since I have thought sod the protection, I just want something easy to remove
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 22, 2023, 08:09:40 PM
If there were any made in the UK I would have. Sadly there are few UK made work boots and those that are made are pretty pricey, quite heavy and have a long wait time.... https://williamlennon.co.uk/product-category/boots/

Quick test, how any items of clothing and footwear do you own that were *made* in the UK?
I don't know but all my clobber comes from UK shops . I dare say most of it is made in Asia .
Having worked on building sites for 50 years though the choice of boot has often been a topic of conversation . Its agreed that comfort is the most important thing followed by wear and tear . The Doc Martin (UK made) work boot is generally seen as the best boot to wear day in day out ,rrp at around £90. De Walt and Sketchers (both China) also have good reviews  .

Cost doesn't come into it as safety footwear is 100% tax deductible

But as Granny always said , If you have nothing else always make sure you have a good bed and a good pair of boots , because if your not in one you will be in the other 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 22, 2023, 08:44:46 PM
I'm well aware of the various brands available.

I've had multiple pairs from screwfix, travis, toolstation, country wide etc.  Most last about 6 months before the sole wears out or falls off, plus they are murder on my bloody (sometimes literally) feet.

plus I don't remember "restrict your choice to what you can buy from screwfix" on the side of a bus.

No way to spin this, brexit is 100% responsible for these boots costing £65 more and taking a week or so longer to ship.

"should've bought something else" isn't really a response
You are obviously a cheep-skate if you think paying £65 for a pair of safety shoes is exorbitant, no wonder they didn't last and hurt your feet. Please regale us with what boots you had to buy from Germany as they are so fantastic, is this going to be another epic like Smurfs American Visa?

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 22, 2023, 10:20:18 PM
Yeah.

Even though it was a shop i would normally consider a bargain place the steel toe capped safety shoes i bought a couple of years after the referendum fir my job wandering round an automotive parts assembly plant cost a bit more than that, were supremely comfortable to wear and bloody well went missing after i was furloughed. I don't think they were nicked, just went astray with the chaos...
I prefer composite, as doing work in airports the screeners don't tend to ask me to take them off when going airside when accompanied by an airside pass, and you have to have them if going onto the RAMP. 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2023, 09:55:39 PM
If you're not paying this for a pair of safety boots you clearly don't value your feet's safety anyway.
Yeah.

Even though it was a shop i would normally consider a bargain place the steel toe capped safety shoes i bought a couple of years after the referendum fir my job wandering round an automotive parts assembly plant cost a bit more than that, were supremely comfortable to wear and bloody well went missing after i was furloughed. I don't think they were nicked, just went astray with the chaos...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 22, 2023, 08:52:54 PM
Who gets the £65?
If you're not paying this for a pair of safety boots you clearly don't value your feet's safety anyway. 

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 22, 2023, 08:31:37 PM

Right, and then everyone clapped and cheered?  Did you ask your totally real french friend why no other country has decided to follow the UK and leave the EU (as was predicted) and all the traditionally anti-EU parties across Europe have drastically dialed back their "we must leave the EU" rhetoric?

He isn't a friend, and as usual you show your class, or lack of, with comments like that. More and more countries are voting in parties right on centre, just happened in The Netherlands today. Le Pen ran it close a year or so ago, the whole EU ethos is falling apart as they reintroduce border controls. 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2023, 08:12:57 PM
They don't have to be made in the U.K., Screwfix or any tool shops sell work boots. I have a few pairs of Dewalt composite ones that are light.
I'm well aware of the various brands available.

I've had multiple pairs from screwfix, travis, toolstation, country wide etc.  Most last about 6 months before the sole wears out or falls off, plus they are murder on my bloody (sometimes literally) feet.

plus I don't remember "restrict your choice to what you can buy from screwfix" on the side of a bus.

No way to spin this, brexit is 100% responsible for these boots costing £65 more and taking a week or so longer to ship.

"should've bought something else" isn't really a response

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2023, 06:26:42 PM
I bought some shoes off Amazon, didn't notice that they were coming from China, took a while to get them but I got no tax added so why is Germany different?

QuoteAs for Brexit, I've just been sitting next to a French guy on a flight back from Hong Kong and he told me the situation in France and more widely, the EU, is catastrophic to use his words. He says that the U.K. did the right thing walking away and that the EU is getting worse since Merkel took power and basically did what ever she wanted.
Right, and then everyone clapped and cheered?  Did you ask your totally real french friend why no other country has decided to follow the UK and leave the EU (as was predicted) and all the traditionally anti-EU parties across Europe have drastically dialed back their "we must leave the EU" rhetoric? 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 22, 2023, 08:09:40 PM
If there were any made in the UK I would have. Sadly there are few UK made work boots and those that are made are pretty pricey, quite heavy and have a long wait time.... https://williamlennon.co.uk/product-category/boots/

Quick test, how any items of clothing and footwear do you own that were *made* in the UK?
They don't have to be made in the U.K., Screwfix or any tool shops sell work boots. I have a few pairs of Dewalt composite ones that are light. 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 22, 2023, 04:56:54 PM
Alright Bellbud  , you should have brought British Union Flag
If there were any made in the UK I would have. Sadly there are few UK made work boots and those that are made are pretty pricey, quite heavy and have a long wait time.... https://williamlennon.co.uk/product-category/boots/

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 22, 2023, 02:34:34 PM
...if you like paying more and waiting longer for for something.

Package worth about £170 from Germany ordered on 13th, shipped from supplier on 14th arrived in UK 16th.

Been stuck in customs and now deliver depot since and just got a bill for £62 for vat, customs duty and handling fees.

Before Brexit, it would probably have been delivered on the 17th or 18th and cost nothing extra.

Now, it's at least a week of extra waiting and a whopping extra 30% more, turning a moderately pried item into an expensive one.  Grrrrrrrr!

Anyway, just venting as nobody round my way is stupid enough to still be proud of voting for brexit.

Even my idiot brother-in-law has gone quiet about it, replaced whatever daft right wing theory his corner of the internet is spouting at the moment.  Think it was some "anti-woke" bollocks about identifying as a cat last time.

Hope you're all well.
I bought some shoes off Amazon, didn't notice that they were coming from China, took a while to get them but I got no tax added so why is Germany different?

As for Brexit, I've just been sitting next to a French guy on a flight back from Hong Kong and he told me the situation in France and more widely, the EU, is catastrophic to use his words. He says that the U.K. did the right thing walking away and that the EU is getting worse since Merkel took power and basically did what ever she wanted.