Boris Johnson news – live: DUP dismisses Brexit

Started by Borchester, October 16, 2019, 03:04:25 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Not according to a reporter I saw on 5. He said Barnier has seen the ambassadors and one said it looked promising. Having said that some are saying that a rehash of May's deal will not cut it, and Hammond said earlier that without the details of a future trade deal at the same time he couldn't vote for it.He just keeps moving the goal posts.

I heard too today that the Libdums are going all out to unseat Rees-Mogg with his 10,000 majority. That'll be fun!

I don't know if it's possible to return to political normality.

Cassie

Quote from: T00ts post_id=948 time=1571259976 user_id=54
Things are on the move in the EU HQ. I just hope Barnier's chisel hasn't been to cutting.

I thought it had all stalled.

T00ts

Things are on the move in the EU HQ. I just hope Barnier's chisel hasn't been to cutting.

Borchester

Quote from: Cassie post_id=823 time=1571234998 user_id=57
To be fair, they have never said they'd agreed to this deal. After a meeting last night Foster said there was a long way to go.

I don't want to be fair to NI. All the place has ever produced is unsinkable ships that run into icebergs, shirts that we can get cheaper from China and the sort of religious bigots that long for the Second Coming so that they can crucify Christ for being Jewish.

Fvck the lot of them. Wrap the place up in ribbon and give it to Varadkar as a Christmas present. At least the next time the Taigs and Prods decide to throw a duckie over Christ knows what it will be the Gardai who will be getting murdered rather than British squaddies
Algerie Francais !

Ciaphas

If the DUP won't back any form if divergence of Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK I struggle to see a way forward that doesn't rely on Mr Johnson willing a large enough majority that he isn't reliant on DUP and potentially ERG support.

If Mr Johnson requests an extension this may result in him being punished in the polls and being unable to achieve a large majority or perhaps any majority at all.

What happens then? A binding referendum which parliment is legally compelled to impliment?

patman post

Brexit has been a dog's breakfast from the start — and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better. Accepting any flawed deal just for the sake of leaving or getting it over is just pushing more splinters under the finger nails of the already tortured UK economy. And it's not going to get better...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Cassie

Quote from: T00ts post_id=851 time=1571242581 user_id=54
Quote from: Cassie post_id=850 time=1571242125 user_id=57
Some Lib Undem on the radio is categorically sure that her North West constituency is now remain, she knows!

PS We didn't know what we were voting for so it's ok to perform an undemocratic act to hold another referendum. The vote was 3 years ago, Everhyone has changed their minds. Anymore? God I am getting so angry.

Chill, we won't know much until late tonight. I think I was happier away from the news today.  8-)

Sky is starting a news channel without Brexit.

T00ts

Quote from: Cassie post_id=850 time=1571242125 user_id=57
Some Lib Undem on the radio is categorically sure that her North West constituency is now remain, she knows!

PS We didn't know what we were voting for so it's ok to perform an undemocratic act to hold another referendum. The vote was 3 years ago, Everhyone has changed their minds. Anymore? God I am getting so angry.

Chill, we won't know much until late tonight. I think I was happier away from the news today.  8-)

Cassie

Cassie

Quote from: Nick post_id=843 time=1571241329 user_id=73
Quote from: Cassie post_id=830 time=1571237696 user_id=57

The EU knows that Parliament has BJ by the short and curlies. They know he needs the DUP onboard to get the ERG to vote for a deal. He has said he'd sooner be found dead in a ditch than ask for an extension, he's going to ask for that soon if he doesn't get a deal, so the EU is playing hardball. BJ is stuffed and everyone who wanted Brexit is stuffed - unless BJ has something up his sleeve, which I doubt.

They think they do. The Benn act has more holes than an onion sack. I'm sure Boris will have some expensive lawyers looking at it.

I'm hoping NIck, I'm hoping.

GerryT

Quote from: Cassie post_id=839 time=1571240780 user_id=57
Quote from: GerryT post_id=837 time=1571240475 user_id=61

Whats hard to believe is that people here thought anything had changed. The DUP won't vote for anything that puts any form of barrier between NI and GB. Johnson's deal is T.May deal, its pretty much exactly the same thing. However it looks like when Johnson met with Foster last week he promised that the DUP would have a way to get out of the arrangement after 4 yrs, guess what true to form Johnson was lying, again. Now that his lies are being found out the DUP are withdrawing support. While I have no time for the DUP I do admire that they are consistent in what they say.

My guess would be the UK needs to table a deal to the EU that the UK are confident will pass through parliament.  Other wise why would they bother talking with Johnson.

The EU is also consistent and has been for years, honour the GFA or we wont do a deal, the only one's that don't seem to be able to grasp the basics are the UK govt.

I'm not sure, but I think the EU scuppered the 4 year thing. I've heard rumours that our dear unelected opposition 'government' is not even going to vote for the deal, thus humiliating BJ to go and ask for an extension. God do we need a GE.

The 4 yr idea was nonsensical at best. This is my understanding of it. The UK offering is... The UK leaves the UK on 31st Oct, for a 24mth period the UK will continue to align with EU rules/regulations and in return will continue to trade as if it were an EU member. The 24Mth period would give the UK and EU time to strike a trade deal, if after 24Mth no deal can be struck then the trade relationship goes to WTO execpt for NI which remains in the SM with an Irish sea border to honour the GFA. IF at some future time the UK comes up with an alternative way which allows NI to leave the SM then the whole of the UK is outside the SM.

So a 4yr offering is a joke, 2yrs will be used up in the trade talks which will see the UK and EU in different customs unions and a border will be necessary, but 2 yrs later the DUP pulls the plug and a land border in IRL goes up. Why would the EU sign up to that ?  it sounds like a plan conceived by a 14yr old

Nick

Quote from: Cassie post_id=830 time=1571237696 user_id=57
Quote from: T00ts post_id=826 time=1571236456 user_id=54
I went out this morning feeling hopeful and I get back just now to discover it's all gone back in the melting pot. What is everyone playing at?

The EU knows that Parliament has BJ by the short and curlies. They know he needs the DUP onboard to get the ERG to vote for a deal. He has said he'd sooner be found dead in a ditch than ask for an extension, he's going to ask for that soon if he doesn't get a deal, so the EU is playing hardball. BJ is stuffed and everyone who wanted Brexit is stuffed - unless BJ has something up his sleeve, which I doubt.

They think they do. The Benn act has more holes than an onion sack. I'm sure Boris will have some expensive lawyers looking at it.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Cassie

Quote from: GerryT post_id=837 time=1571240475 user_id=61
Quote from: Cassie post_id=833 time=1571238904 user_id=57

Pretty much. The can will be kicked down the road. I don't know what they are hoping to achieve by all of this, the country is going to the dogs as they play games in Parliament.

taking no-deal off the table was the worst thing they could have done to get a good deal. We all know they don't want a deal, just to remain.

Whats hard to believe is that people here thought anything had changed. The DUP won't vote for anything that puts any form of barrier between NI and GB. Johnson's deal is T.May deal, its pretty much exactly the same thing. However it looks like when Johnson met with Foster last week he promised that the DUP would have a way to get out of the arrangement after 4 yrs, guess what true to form Johnson was lying, again. Now that his lies are being found out the DUP are withdrawing support. While I have no time for the DUP I do admire that they are consistent in what they say.

My guess would be the UK needs to table a deal to the EU that the UK are confident will pass through parliament.  Other wise why would they bother talking with Johnson.

The EU is also consistent and has been for years, honour the GFA or we wont do a deal, the only one's that don't seem to be able to grasp the basics are the UK govt.

I'm not sure, but I think the EU scuppered the 4 year thing. I've heard rumours that our dear unelected opposition 'government' is not even going to vote for the deal, thus humiliating BJ to go and ask for an extension. God do we need a GE.

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts post_id=832 time=1571238617 user_id=54

Good grief - that puts us back where we started. :shock:

Pretty much. The can will be kicked down the road. I don't know what they are hoping to achieve by all of this, the country is going to the dogs as they play games in Parliament.

taking no-deal off the table was the worst thing they could have done to get a good deal. We all know they don't want a deal, just to remain.

T00ts

Quote from: T00ts post_id=832 time=1571238617 user_id=54

Good grief - that puts us back where we started. :shock:

:?  :cry: