Main Menu

Better off dead?

Started by Barry, May 16, 2024, 10:47:30 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 19, 2024, 01:24:55 PM
Half a story as usual: you don't mention that A&E services are totally free for everyone. It shouldn't be, they should have to pay.
Free ONLY in the A&E anything after A&E requires payment. (Unless you have an EHIC card.) Even then it is a lot safer to have travel insurance.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: Nick on May 19, 2024, 01:24:55 PM
Half a story as usual: you don't mention that A&E services are totally free for everyone. It shouldn't be, they should have to pay.
Thanks for ruining a thread about assisted dying / suicide. Rant
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 16, 2024, 05:39:26 PM
The problem I have Nick is that as I just referenced, it  is NOT the major issue the propagandists would have us believe.
(I don't know if it applies nationally but locally no NHS number/Hospital number no free treatment.)
More at link:-
How to access NHS services in England if you are visiting from abroad - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

If you're visiting England for less than 6 months, you should ensure you're covered for healthcare through personal medical insurance during your visit, even if you're a former UK resident. If you're not ordinarily resident in the UK and you need to pay for NHS hospital treatment, you'll be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 17, 2024, 02:25:30 AM
Then look harder

come with me to my next diabetic check and i will point them out to you

they are on tbe desk where you hand your appointment letter over

i admit these are new, they were not there say 15 years ago when ooliticians pretended they did it

but they are there now

Quite, notices in the local village surgery and medical centre in the next village with a list of charges if you are not NHS registered. The same at hospitals in the area. (I think I have visited then all in the last few years, either for me, my wife, or taking people to hospital appointments.)

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on May 16, 2024, 08:15:40 PM
It's so boring when your one track mind takes you to your DWP murdering people, obsession. The thread is NOT about that.

It was in response to a comment about the state legally killing people, there is no proposal to do that. But the state has been killing people for the last 14 years.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on May 16, 2024, 04:31:20 PM
I just spent a week in hospital in Canada after I had a ruptured appendix. Big signs everywhere in the hospital expressly saying their medical care was only free to Canadians. Luckily my travel insurance covered it otherwise it would have been £35K for 6 nights in hospital. Don't see any signs in our hospitals, or huge invoices being sent out.
Then look harder

come with me to my next diabetic check and i will point them out to you

they are on tbe desk where you hand your appointment letter over

i admit these are new, they were not there say 15 years ago when ooliticians pretended they did it

but they are there now
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on May 16, 2024, 11:22:26 AM
There are no proposals in Britain for the state to legally bump people off. But for the last 14 years of the Tories and the DWP hostile environment towards disabled people and benefit claimants many thousands of people have died as a result. (With the DWP dodging FOI questions about it and also shredding evidence.)

Report on the UK's treatment of disabled people | Equity

Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Holds Follow-Up Dialogue on Inquiry Report of the United Kingdom | OHCHR

Two years since 'toothless' watchdog pledged to act on benefit deaths, and still no action – Disability News Service

Stop this onslaught of attacks, say disabled people in letter to PM – Disability News Service

Why does DWP reject so many requests to hold secret benefit deaths reviews? MP asks – Disability News Service

DWP fights watchdog ruling that it must release secret benefit deaths reviews – Disability News Service
It's so boring when your one track mind takes you to your DWP murdering people, obsession. The thread is NOT about that.

If there are no proposals perhaps you can explain what this is all about:
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5804/cmselect/cmhealth/321/report.html
Scotland Jersey and Isle of Man:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47158287
There is a move in various countries around the world and this tends to cause contagion as others are pressurised into following suit.
It's definitely an issue being discussed and Labour have said there are grounds for changing the law:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67785112
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 16, 2024, 04:31:20 PM
I just spent a week in hospital in Canada after I had a ruptured appendix. Big signs everywhere in the hospital expressly saying their medical care was only free to Canadians. Luckily my travel insurance covered it otherwise it would have been £35K for 6 nights in hospital. Don't see any signs in our hospitals, or huge invoices being sent out.
The problem I have Nick is that as I just referenced, it  is NOT the major issue the propagandists would have us believe.
(I don't know if it applies nationally but locally no NHS number/Hospital number no free treatment.)
More at link:-
How to access NHS services in England if you are visiting from abroad - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

If you're visiting England for less than 6 months, you should ensure you're covered for healthcare through personal medical insurance during your visit, even if you're a former UK resident. If you're not ordinarily resident in the UK and you need to pay for NHS hospital treatment, you'll be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on May 16, 2024, 10:47:30 AM
Liz Carr presented an excellent program on "assisted dying".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001z8wc/better-off-dead
She visited Canada where a female doctor boasted of "helping" people to die - 400 of them. She was a really freaky woman, you'd not put her in charge of a nursery, let alone this.
After watching this program, I've changed my view and I'm against changing the law in this country to let the State bump people off.

However, many people do need good palliative care.
From what Ive seen its a fine line Barry during end of life care . The  fentanyl patches , as much Morphine as can be administered ,withdrawing food all help our loved ones  along in their  final days and hours . I don't think thats saying letting the state bump people off but is as you allude   good (and the kindest )  palliative care 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 16, 2024, 01:38:15 PM
I meant back it up with some data please. (Genuine interest because there is frankly a load of ill informed nonsense about health tourism.)

Inbound medical tourism to the UK by origin | Statista
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 16, 2024, 01:21:18 PM
My own father's death in 2005 in a stinking side ward on floor 5 of block c of the unoversity hospital of wales for a start
I meant back it up with some data please. (Genuine interest because there is frankly a load of ill informed nonsense about health tourism.)

Inbound medical tourism to the UK by origin | Statista

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on May 16, 2024, 12:50:07 PM
Have you any evidence to back up that contention please. (Genuine interest.)
My own father's death in 2005 in a stinking side ward on floor 5 of block c of the unoversity hospital of wales for a start

The circumstances i unvovered in the wake of this were the reason i caused utter havoc on BBC Radio 4 one sunday aternoon and led me to uncover what i sound was POLICY and not a single circumstance

It was three months after he had sat all weekend on a sofa downstairs racked with pain unable to call for assistance for if he did, he would have been transported to velindre hospital and lost his hope of a transfer to die peacefully at a hospice, for which he has to wait for an abulance to collect im at 8am on the monday morning

The pain started to rack him at about 9pm on the Saturday, and he knew if he called for help he would lose his slot and hospice bed, so he chose to sit it out. Despite some very illegal assistance from a now dead great aunt with a pharmaceutical background with some even more questionable contacts i donlt want to think too hard about, dad basically lost the mental battle against the pain at about 5am on the monday morning, and was taken by ambulance to Velindre, and thus lost his hospice placement, which went to a Nigerian health tourist shipped in to the EU and across the channel as a tourist by a "charity" keen to get such people hospice care in this country by denyng it to our own citizens

It was then, and still is, the POLICY of the wankers in Cardiff Bay to place such tourists in palliative hospice care in wales, no matter how much that displaces the indigenous, as part of their "nation of sanctuary" bullshit

The then Plaid Cymru Health spokeswanker, now handed a peerage i believe, has been quoted in Wales Online as being qute proud of this tradition.

After hearing a bunch of clerical twats wax lyrical about her one Friday night a few weeks after dad died in that stinking side ward, i sat down and emailed a missive to the prigramme explaoning the reality of their pomposity and its impact upon those whose taxes had paid for the NHS palliative care facilities and who were denied them in theor hour of need by such tourists.

Suffice to say it lit up the switchboard when it was read out as the first response to the programme

I had no idea, i had been called out to a masive server failure at a financial services client caused by a bunch of irishmen, a JCB, and an incompetent oaf in the disaster planning department who had failed to handle the possibility of losing their main broadband connection from the site as comprehensively as only a JCB Bucket can do

But it made my day when i got home to hear the recording my mate had made

The policy was still in place years later and given Plaid's pivotal role and enforcement of the indoctrination of Welsh SCHOOLS to theor principe of "sanctuary" for any invader who wants it, i suspect it is stil in place

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 16, 2024, 11:23:41 AM
In a world where lib dems and other do-gooder lefties think it appropriate to give hospice places to health tourists 
Have you any evidence to back up that contention please. (Genuine interest.)

johnofgwent

In a world where lib dems and other do-gooder lefties think it appropriate to give hospice places to health tourists who have not paid a penny and deny them to those who have paid over forty years of NI contributions and paid half a million in tax, i rather think the assisted dying should be used rather more widely on those said health tourists in order to provide those very palliative care facilities for those whose contrinbution record justify them

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on May 16, 2024, 10:47:30 AM
Liz Carr presented an excellent program on "assisted dying".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001z8wc/better-off-dead
She visited Canada where a female doctor boasted of "helping" people to die - 400 of them. She was a really freaky woman, you'd not put her in charge of a nursery, let alone this.
After watching this program, I've changed my view and I'm against changing the law in this country to let the State bump people off.

However, many people do need good palliative care.
There are no proposals in Britain for the state to legally bump people off. But for the last 14 years of the Tories and the DWP hostile environment towards disabled people and benefit claimants many thousands of people have died as a result. (With the DWP dodging FOI questions about it and also shredding evidence.)

Report on the UK's treatment of disabled people | Equity

Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Holds Follow-Up Dialogue on Inquiry Report of the United Kingdom | OHCHR

Two years since 'toothless' watchdog pledged to act on benefit deaths, and still no action – Disability News Service

Stop this onslaught of attacks, say disabled people in letter to PM – Disability News Service

Why does DWP reject so many requests to hold secret benefit deaths reviews? MP asks – Disability News Service

DWP fights watchdog ruling that it must release secret benefit deaths reviews – Disability News Service