Tourismification

Started by Streetwalker, May 18, 2024, 07:01:47 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 21, 2024, 06:48:23 AM
Nick I worry about you I really do. The over tourism has taken up the vast majority of housing. So now it is getting close to impossible for any business to get staff.  Also tourists are paying vastly high amounts of money for holiday accommodation which means they have little left to spend on anything else.
Greed has caused a crisis.
I live here but I could not afford to holiday here, (or in Britain for that matter.) Which is why a couple of hundred people including myself will be camping in a probably muddy field for a few days shortly as it is the only holiday any of us can afford. (£25 each for four days, bargain.)
You seem to have formed an opinion of tourists with empty wallets on little . Cornwall hasn't been the same since the bottom fell out of the tin mining industry and Poldark moved to London . The thing is people go down there and are disappointed with whats on offer ,the Cornwall of the tourist board  has long gone and as Ive said previously the only thing on offer is the coastline which doesn't cost anything to look at or walk around .

You complain about people not spending any money then declare you are  only spending  £25 when you go to your field in France . Best watch out the Froggies will be banning you for not spending any money .::)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 21, 2024, 06:48:23 AM
Nick I worry about you I really do. The over tourism has taken up the vast majority of housing. So now it is getting close to impossible for any business to get staff.  Also tourists are paying vastly high amounts of money for holiday accommodation which means they have little left to spend on anything else.
I live here but I could not afford to holiday here, (or in Britain for that matter.) Which is why a couple of hundred people including myself will be camping in a probably muddy field for a few days shortly as it is the only holiday any of us can afford. (£25 each for four days, bargain.)
Don't just ignore the Elephant in the room, why do shops need all this staff if no tourists are buying anything?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 20, 2024, 10:09:08 PM
Your hypothesis does not hold water. Why do businesses need staff if nobody is spending any money? And if they don't need staff then they don't need all the property for them to live in.
So how do you explain the fact your logic doesn't stack up?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 20, 2024, 12:35:50 PM
John currently (today,) the village is rammed with tourists, with few going into the shops and businesses. (I have seen a few eating a pasty.)  Tourists with empty wallets are of no use. Tourism has taken up all but 190 rental in the whole of Cornwall  properties for local people.  Businesses are crying out for staff, but with nowhere for staff to live they can't get any.
Is now seven "no fault" evictions in the village in recent weeks with the properties being turned into holiday lets/AirB&B.
It is a crisis. The Over tourism has to be stopped, only legislation can do that, or Cornwall council building 26000 council houses for local people where they are needed.
Your hypothesis does not hold water. Why do businesses need staff if nobody is spending any money? And if they don't need staff then they don't need all the property for them to live in.
So how do you explain the fact your logic doesn't stack up?

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on May 20, 2024, 07:43:45 AM
No-one including me has stated no tourists. It is the over tourism that is the problem. (Especially tourists with no money to spend after they have paid for accommodation.)
Yesterday the village was as usual rammed with tourists. I went to buy an ice cream, and the shop owner was complaining (again,) next to no customers. Other businesses have the same problem rammed with tourists with empty wallets. There are just far too many tourists it is causing very serious social problems including a severe lack of housing for local people.
I didn't say you did,however how will you limit tourists, holiday raffles?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 20, 2024, 12:35:50 PM
John currently (today,) the village is rammed with tourists, with few going into the shops and businesses. (I have seen a few eating a pasty.)  Tourists with empty wallets are of no use. Tourism has taken up all but 190 rental in the whole of Cornwall  properties for local people.  Businesses are crying out for staff, but with nowhere for staff to live they can't get any.
Is now seven "no fault" evictions in the village in recent weeks with the properties being turned into holiday lets/AirB&B.
It is a crisis. The Over tourism has to be stopped, only legislation can do that, or Cornwall council building 26000 council houses for local people where they are needed.
There are not enough Brickies to build 26000 council houses any time soon even if the local council could afford to do so 

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 20, 2024, 11:02:35 AMbut if Smurfy and co don't want my money Beer, Seaton, Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton, Swanage and most places east of that still do, as does the Isle of Wight.
John currently (today,) the village is rammed with tourists, with few going into the shops and businesses. (I have seen a few eating a pasty.)  Tourists with empty wallets are of no use. Tourism has taken up all but 190 rental in the whole of Cornwall  properties for local people.   Businesses are crying out for staff, but with nowhere for staff to live they can't get any.
Is now seven "no fault" evictions in the village in recent weeks with the properties being turned into holiday lets/AirB&B.

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on May 19, 2024, 10:20:49 PM
It's simple Smurf no tourists Cornwall will be a lot poorer,stop whinging or go back to where you came from.
Wales will soon find the same problem. Plaid have succeeded in their 'this is a local coastline for local people' bullshit and all sorts of business is looking at bookings tank.

I rather enjoyed the extended weekend in Plymouth for our wedding anniversary i think three years ago now, but if Smurfy and co don't want my money Beer, Seaton, Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton, Swanage and most places east of that still do, as does the Isle of Wight. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 18, 2024, 07:01:47 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13433261/Brits-summer-holiday-Majorca-anti-tourism-island-airport-protest-hotels.html

Well you cant blame them in a way but the Spanish Islands Canaries included wouldn't really have much of an economy without tourists . A bit like Cornwall with Smurf the locals have had enough though .Is it a case of biting the hand that feeds them ?

And  who would go where they are not wanted ?
i've never been to the Balearics, and i won't be going now

Which is a bit of a shame because i'm exactly the tourist they actually say they want. 

My parents always meant to go to Minorca, which at the time, when my uncle the merchant navy chief engineer with the saudi's went with his wife and two young kids, hiring a villa for a month to avoid super tax, was little more than a fishing village. He of course spoke Spanish and frankly the locals and the few places there were back then welcomed him.

Mum and dad did go to Tenerife again in the days when planes flew into Los Rodeos with no radar cover and a single VOR beacon and they stayed in the cooler north of the island, tbe south being little more than lunar landscape in the seventies

i took Moira and an infant Sarah there in the late eighties and took a an all day round the island coach trip. When i got back with the photos dad was staggered at the degree of development of the south. But that was nothing compared to what was to come, of course.

The round the island trip stopped for lunch at the sister hotel of the one we were staying in, and of course they ran a similar trip there which stopped at ours. I recall with stark clarity the loud germans and arrogant french twats who sent the bottled WATER back because it wasn't fizzy enough.....

They were the dopplegangers of the sort of tourists Majorca SAY they've had enough of today, but not a word of english.

As i said, i don't know anything about the reality in Majorca but their clampdown on all inclusive signed their death warrant as far as i'm concerned because my idea of utter bliss as far as holidays go was to be able to tell the kids 'don't ask me, you've got tbe bracelet on, show it to the nice man at the counter ...

I remember the first one of those we went to. On day one we got some very funny looks when we let both kids eat what the hell they wanted in any order .... That night their digestive systems taught them a lesson and they learned it well. The really funny thing was they, aged about ten, and six, found they could tea and some sandwiches at 3pm and made a habit of it every afternoon. 

As for me, the second most important thing i wanted was to do sod all by tbe poolside with my kindle set firmly to airplane mode so mo email over the hotel wifi and a number of cervezas in the sun. Not that many, and anyone who has ever done this knows MOST of the drinks are so low in booze you cant get hammered on them (not so in mexico by the way)

So they demanded the hotels stop this and only serve drinks all inclusive at meal times and only a couple a day.

LAST year Tenerife and Lanzarote were not that stupid (according to my daughter and son in law who had a delayed honeymoon on one, and a pal who took his wife to the other) but I've already asked Tui and been told they're doing that now, so i said well F@@@ that then i'll go somewhere else and yiu should tell your hotel chain i said that.

The Canary Islands have done very, very well out of the British since the early 1970s but they have only themselves toblame for the expansion to what it is today.

I think a return to Argasi, Zante is on the cards....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 20, 2024, 07:43:45 AM
No-one including me has stated no tourists. It is the over tourism that is the problem. (Especially tourists with no money to spend after they have paid for accommodation.)
Yesterday the village was as usual rammed with tourists. I went to buy an ice cream, and the shop owner was complaining (again,) next to no customers. Other businesses have the same problem rammed with tourists with empty wallets. There are just far too many tourists it is causing very serious social problems including a severe lack of housing for local people.
How much for an ice cream?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on May 19, 2024, 10:20:49 PM
It's simple Smurf no tourists Cornwall will be a lot poorer,stop whinging or go back to where you came from.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 19, 2024, 02:51:17 PM
Nick I am NOT exaggerating there are only 192 properties for rent to local people. (That is the bang up to date data.)
There are loads of holiday lets/AirB&B . 12500 holiday homes and 13000 second homes. With 26000 on the Council waiting list for housing.
There are houses near me for £800-£1200 a month rent, way beyond the means of local people.
Very little of that 25% of GDP stays in the county.
The Over tourism has killed Cornwall. 6 no fault evictions near me being turned into AirB&B.
Local business cannot get staff because of this, also tourists with empty because the cost of their holiday accommodation leaves them with no money to spend.
Nick as per usual you don't have a clue. (Despite all the comment in the media/press, debate in Parliament on the subject.)

Survey to shed new light on factors behind Cornwall's housing crisis - News (exeter.ac.uk)

4 weeks ago

[color=var(--wp--preset--color--black)]Thousands of people in Cornwall will be invited to take part in new research to help provide information on why the Duchy is facing unprecedented pressure on housing.[/color]

[color=var(--wp--preset--color--black)]Residents are being asked to complete a survey about their experiences of buying and living in their new property, including where they have moved from and why they have chosen to buy a new home.[/color]
[color=var(--wp--preset--color--black)]Researchers from [/color][color=var(--wp--preset--color--black)]The Institute of Cornish Studies at the University of Exeter are leading the research, which will be shared with Cornwall Council, to understand how these factors contribute to housing pressures.[/color]
There's a big sign on the rental property saying no locals is there?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 19, 2024, 01:20:29 PM
As usual you exaggerate everything. There are way more rental properties available than you say and these tourists with empty pockets brought in £2.4 billion last year. That's 25% of Cornwall's GDP
Nick I am NOT exaggerating there are only 192 properties for rent to local people. (That is the bang up to date data.)
There are loads of holiday lets/AirB&B . 12500 holiday homes and 13000 second homes. With 26000 on the Council waiting list for housing. 
There are houses near me for £800-£1200 a month rent, way beyond the means of local people.
Very little of that 25% of GDP stays in the county. 
The Over tourism has killed Cornwall. 6 no fault evictions near me being turned into AirB&B.
Local business cannot get staff because of this, also tourists with empty because the cost of their holiday accommodation leaves them with no money to spend. 
Nick as per usual you don't have a clue. (Despite all the comment in the media/press, debate in Parliament on the subject.)

Survey to shed new light on factors behind Cornwall's housing crisis - News (exeter.ac.uk)

4 weeks ago 

[color=var(--wp--preset--color--black)]Thousands of people in Cornwall will be invited to take part in new research to help provide information on why the Duchy is facing unprecedented pressure on housing.[/color]

[color=var(--wp--preset--color--black)]Residents are being asked to complete a survey about their experiences of buying and living in their new property, including where they have moved from and why they have chosen to buy a new home.[/color]
[color=var(--wp--preset--color--black)]Researchers from [/color][color=var(--wp--preset--color--black)]The Institute of Cornish Studies at the University of Exeter are leading the research, which will be shared with Cornwall Council, to understand how these factors contribute to housing pressures.[/color]

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 19, 2024, 07:13:40 AM
Over tourism has now wrecked Cornwall. Just 190 homes left for locals to rent currently. Plus the high cost of holiday accommodation has led to tourists with empty wallets after they have paid for  accommodation. (Which is of no use to other business at all.) Where I live is rammed with tourists with empty wallets.
News item today:-

Cornwall housing crisis: 'Knackered' Cornish paradise Porthleven where there's nowhere to live - Cornwall Live

As usual you exaggerate everything. There are way more rental properties available than you say and these tourists with empty pockets brought in £2.4 billion last year. That's 25% of Cornwall's GDP