Britain's shop theft epidemic: The shocking stats that expose our justice system is FAILING

Started by GBNews, June 05, 2024, 07:15:23 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 11, 2024, 08:08:55 PM
Cultural or not, it's not doing the Germans any harm therefore it won't do this generation any harm. I know your not particularly sharp, but if the population goes up and there aren't homes for them the percentage of home owners goes down 🙄
Nick frankly it is YOU who is not particularly sharp. (Seriously.) It is why you persist in insulting me because you can't debate. The Thatcher's right to buy, and those council houses were never replaced plus buy to rent out are major factors.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2024, 04:16:12 PM
There wasn't anything like this after WWII, and they was plenty of poverty.
The simple question is: are you better off than your Grandparents?
There was nothing worth nicking

As my father said, we were on rationing and facing shortages for eleven years after the war ended, Germany was off it in six.

But the other point was you were in it together and looked the same. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 11, 2024, 07:32:54 PM
That is a cultural difference. Before the tories effed the country up home ownership was at 73%. It has been dropping ever since.
Home ownership in the UK: Key statistics for 2024 - Finder UK

Home ownership statistics: Highlights

• 63% of people own their home in England and Wales, making up 15.5 million households.
  • 48% of home owners have a mortgage, loan or shared ownership, while 52% own their property outright.
  • 37% of the population rents in England and Wales, making up 9.3 million households.
  • In London, less than half of residents (47%) are home owners. This is the only region where the majority are renters.
Cultural or not, it's not doing the Germans any harm therefore it won't do this generation any harm. I know your not particularly sharp, but if the population goes up and there aren't homes for them the percentage of home owners goes down 🙄 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 11, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
Only 45% of Germans own their own home, less than in the UK.
That is a cultural difference. Before the tories effed the country up home ownership was at 73%. It has been dropping ever since.
Home ownership in the UK: Key statistics for 2024 - Finder UK

Home ownership statistics: Highlights

• 63% of people own their home in England and Wales, making up 15.5 million households.
  • 48% of home owners have a mortgage, loan or shared ownership, while 52% own their property outright.
  • 37% of the population rents in England and Wales, making up 9.3 million households.
  • In London, less than half of residents (47%) are home owners. This is the only region where the majority are renters.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 11, 2024, 02:54:36 PM
Quite, most of todays young people stand no chance of ever owning a home.
Only 45% of Germans own their own home, less than in the UK. And the reason rent is so high is due to the shit loads of people subsequent governments keep letting in to country only big enough for about 55 million people. 

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 11, 2024, 04:56:25 PM
The common denominator being foreign criminals .

Black market goods have always been available to those not too fussy about the origin of said goods , you missed 'I brought it off a man in the pub'  ;)Taxation being the main driver of it, some would say another form of theft .
The pub outlet still thrives — regularly in pubs round here (and elsewhere I guess) a guy will be offering, semi-surreptitiously, blocks of cheese, chicken pieces, Fray Bentos pies, etc, that have obviously been recently lifted from local supermarkets.

It's not always the same guy, but they could be Albanian, Irish, Jewish, Polish, Turkish, etc — they all look the same to me...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on June 11, 2024, 03:07:50 PM
I guess most of us can also claim to have experienced, or read about, stolen luxury vehicles ending up in Africa, properties stripped and open spaces fouled and spoiled by travellers, foreign gangs raiding shopping areas, and fake charities collecting goods and selling overseas.

Contemporary reports show that after WWII the black market thrived. Rationing controlled the goods available and kept them behind shop counters. So most illicit goods fell off the backs of lorries, were spirited out of dock gates, or were the result of trading and materials allowance fraud...
The common denominator being foreign criminals .

Black market goods have always been available to those not too fussy about the origin of said goods , you missed 'I brought it off a man in the pub'  ;)Taxation being the main driver of it, some would say another form of theft . 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 11, 2024, 03:07:50 PM
I guess most of us can also claim to have experienced, or read about, stolen luxury vehicles ending up in Africa, 
A gang of motorcycle thieves stealing motorcycles in Britain and shipping them to Bulgaria has just been arrested in Bulgaria. (I can't find a link yet.)

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 10, 2024, 08:45:05 PM
Not all of them are but recently a lot of goods/vehicles/anything that was not nailed down and stolen in Britain has been found in Eastern Europe.
I guess most of us can also claim to have experienced, or read about, stolen luxury vehicles ending up in Africa, properties stripped and open spaces fouled and spoiled by travellers, foreign gangs raiding shopping areas, and fake charities collecting goods and selling overseas.

Contemporary reports show that after WWII the black market thrived. Rationing controlled the goods available and kept them behind shop counters. So most illicit goods fell off the backs of lorries, were spirited out of dock gates, or were the result of trading and materials allowance fraud...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 11, 2024, 02:36:29 PM
The real question to all parents of adult children must be: are your children better off, or more likely to be better off than you...?
Quite, most of todays young people stand no chance of ever owning a home.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2024, 04:16:12 PM
There wasn't anything like this after WWII, and they was plenty of poverty.
The simple question is: are you better off than your Grandparents?
The real question to all parents of adult children must be: are your children better off, or more likely to be better off than you...?

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on June 10, 2024, 08:45:05 PM
Not all of them are but recently a lot of goods/vehicles/anything that was not nailed down and stolen in Britain has been found in Eastern Europe.
Which proves the point I and others made
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 07, 2024, 08:06:14 AM
And I guess it shocks no one on here that you resort to your usual comments and fail to see that not every thief is motivated by austerity.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on June 08, 2024, 12:19:14 PM
And for me, the breakdown has coincided with the massive influx of Eastern European migrants, I'm excluding the Poles in that, they have long had an association with the U.K. 
Its true ,a lot of migrants see us as weak and take what they want in full knowledge they have little chance of any comebacks . Police wont even prosecute if the value of the theft is deemed minimal ,they wont even turn up to the scene of the crime in most cases . Ive had two thefts to deal with in recent years that on reporting got me no more than a crime number and a 'sorry we haven't got anyone available '

I even had a photo of the culprit in one case with a name to put to it and they still were not interested .So if your a bit short this week or even if your not just go down Tesco and lift £200 worth of grub and walk out with it ,no point in paying ,that's voluntary in the UK 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 07, 2024, 09:08:41 AM
I see it as just a breakdown in law and order .People come in two groups givers and takers . Givers are people who contribute to society ,help others ,stay (mostly ;)) within the law and pay their way . Takers are the thieves ,those that rely on even expect others to carry them ,want favours but never reciprocate and generally dont care about much anything else but themselves .

In years gone by the country was mostly Givers today sadly its mostly Takers . Probably a lot of reasons for that but the solution wont be found without strong law enforcement
And for me, the breakdown has coincided with the massive influx of Eastern European migrants, I'm excluding the Poles in that, they have long had an association with the U.K.