Britain's shop theft epidemic: The shocking stats that expose our justice system is FAILING

Started by GBNews, June 05, 2024, 07:15:23 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 17, 2024, 10:20:47 AM

So no, i have to say, my wife and i with out current combined £71,000 salary and £500,000 house are nowhere near as wealthy as any of my now deceased ancestors were in their time. And my children are vastly impoverished compared to my own lifetime, and entily thanks to the destruction of living standards by Blair and those who followed him
I agree living standards for those at the bottom of the heap have been slowly worsening for decades. However the last 14 years have accelerated the process. Now 14 million and rising living in precarity.
On a personal level my wife and I have had domestic disasters this year with various things around the house failing and needing replacing. (Close to £3000 worth.) However between us we had the funds to cover it. (Given the bungalow was built in the early 1980s most of the failures were to be expected.)

Many other in the are paying massive rents on low wages are not in the same position. "No fault" evictions merely to change to AirB&B are gathering pace.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2024, 04:16:12 PM
There wasn't anything like this after WWII, and they was plenty of poverty.
The simple question is: are you better off than your Grandparents?
Well, to come right back to the start of this debate.

It's not easy to answer that.

On my mother's side, my grandmother was employed doing the books in her parent's pie making factory. My grandfather started out looking after pit ponies but was persuaded to leave the pit and take a job working as a drayman, where he began by using his animal handling skills tending the shire horses. He went on to become a professional lorry driver in the 1930's and was recruited by the shady military operation responsible for the "keep calm and carry on" slogan which held a very dark secret. But in 1930 the couple were able through taking her share of the pie factory inheritance and his salary to put down a 30% deposit and secure a mortage on the other 70% of a home that would cost them three hundred pounds and is today valued at close to two MILLION altough it was significantly extended in 1969/70 when worth barely five figures

Of the extended family on my mother's side we had six self made millionaires by the time of my wedding, all professionals or self employed artisans who were the sons or daughters of the same and enjoyed several generations of ineritance which they put to very good use.

Inheritance tax has ensured that was sequestered

On my father's side the element of the family that moved from the Weimar Republic's Germany to Rhodesia were absolutely loaded. Farms, House boys and a lifestyle straight out of an Agatha Christie or maybe "White Mischief"

My grandfather seems to have been cut out of that having been abandoned in Britain by the entire family. Some sort of scandal, my brother the has the full details but is taking it to his grave, but he was able to make a serious pile post war from his pre-war and ww2 radar work, my father did very well for himself from a mix of continuing his father's line and several very large payouts from IBM for ideas he had. And i mean six figures in the seventies and eighties

So no, i have to say, my wife and i with out current combined £71,000 salary and £500,000 house are nowhere near as wealthy as any of my now deceased ancestors were in their time. And my children are vastly impoverished compared to my own lifetime, and entily thanks to the destruction of living standards by Blair and those who followed him

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2024, 06:14:29 PM
Nick I have owned my home outright since 1990. The rest of my post is relevant to the data link I posted which you did not bother to read.
And as you've told anyone that'll listen, you got some money of a relative: so you have no room to talk about buying a house with inheritance. I read your link, which was many posts ago and it was nothing to do with where funds came from to get a buy to let home. It was about demographics of who is getting or want a but to let. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2024, 01:37:38 PM
No, but sitting on your arse is a guarantee that you won't have the money to buy a house. The rest of your post is immaterial.
Nick I have owned my home outright since 1990. The rest of my post is relevant to the data link I posted which you did not bother to read.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2024, 12:43:35 PM
Lots of ways, and frankly hard work is not a guarantee of getting enough money to buy a house to let.
For instance the bungalow estate of 60 properties where I live was ALL owner occupied back in 1984. There were no rental properties on it until the last few years. There are now due to the owners dying and the beneficiaries keeping the property and renting it out. (£800-£1200 a month.)
No, but sitting on your arse is a guarantee that you won't have the money to buy a house. The rest of your post is immaterial. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2024, 12:34:40 PM
And as I said before: how do they get their money without someone working hard. 
Lots of ways, and frankly hard work is not a guarantee of getting enough money to buy a house to let.
For instance the bungalow estate of 60 properties where I live was ALL owner occupied back in 1984. There were no rental properties on it until the last few years. There are now due to the owners dying and the beneficiaries keeping the property and renting it out. (£800-£1200 a month.) 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2024, 11:56:26 AM
Which does not match the reality. It is frankly merely your biased opinion. (How the do you know they are "hard working," for a start.)
And as I said before: how do they get their money without someone working hard. Citing crime is pathetic as this is most likely a tiny percentage. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2024, 11:04:48 AM
I have never mentioned the demographic of buy to let, I said that people that have buy to let on the whole are capitalists and
hard working.
Which does not match the reality. It is frankly merely your biased opinion. (How the do you know they are "hard working," for a start.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 14, 2024, 07:30:35 PM
Nick here is data about buy to let. I suggest you read it. Your perception does not match the reality:-

Buy to Let Statistics UK 2024 - Landlord and Private Rental Trends (archimediaaccounts.co.uk)
I have never mentioned the demographic of buy to let, I said that people that have buy to let on the whole are capitalists and
hard working. There is nothing in your stat that goes against that, it's just your usual attempt at trying to prove something with a piece of arbitrary data. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2024, 05:27:43 PM
My problem is that you attack everyone's perspective with very little substance. What that does is create an atmosphere of hostility, if you you curbed your tone you would see much less animosity.

People invest to make money, that is capitalism, if that upsets you then go and join a commune.
Nick here is data about buy to let. I suggest you read it. Your perception does not match the reality:-

Buy to Let Statistics UK 2024 - Landlord and Private Rental Trends (archimediaaccounts.co.uk)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 14, 2024, 02:57:05 PM
Nick, what is your problem. You asked a question and I answered it.  I just commented on a few reasons there are others. Another one is buy to let gets more income for people's money than most other investments. (A lot more if they use the property for AirB&B or a holiday let.)
My problem is that you attack everyone's perspective with very little substance. What that does is create an atmosphere of hostility, if you you curbed your tone you would see much less animosity. 

People invest to make money, that is capitalism, if that upsets you then go and join a commune. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2024, 01:31:53 PM
And how do these savings and inheritance get into these people's banks? Is it magic?
You really do live on cloud cuckoo land. Not everyone sits on their couch all day supping Kestrel Super Strength, some people actually work their taters off. I know this concept is alien to you but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Nick, what is your problem. You asked a question and I answered it.  I just commented on a few reasons there are others. Another one is buy to let gets more income for people's money than most other investments. (A lot more if they use the property for AirB&B or a holiday let.) 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 14, 2024, 01:24:07 PM
Savings, inheritance, golden handshake, crime and in one case I know of a compensation payout which was enough to buy six ex council houses. (In the latter case he will only rent to local people.)
And how do these savings and inheritance get into these people's banks? Is it magic?
You really do live on cloud cuckoo land. Not everyone sits on their couch all day supping Kestrel Super Strength, some people actually work their taters off. I know this concept is alien to you but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2024, 11:52:57 AM
So where do they get the money from?
Savings, inheritance, golden handshake, crime and in one case I know of a compensation payout which was enough to buy six ex council houses. (In the latter case he will only rent to local people.)

Nick