Farage re Putin? Right or wrong?

Started by T00ts, June 22, 2024, 02:17:31 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on June 22, 2024, 02:17:31 PM
So Farage follows what I believe is the Trump line on Russia's attack on Ukraine, but does he have a point? Putin has always wished for reinstatement of USSR it's in his DNA and perhaps the increasing approach of both the EU and NATO made him react like a wild animal trapped in a corner. Or perhaps he simply saw the opportunity of fobbing the blame onto their actions while searching for an excuse to attack. I believe that attack of some sort was and still is inevitable particularly as Putin's time draws to a close.

However should we now agree to an end to the war on Putin's terms with little regard for the efforts of Ukraine over the last couple of years? If Putin's wishes are granted, and I believe there are those who would be more than happy to 'persuade' Ukraine to surrender, wouldn't that constitute appeasement? Does anyone really believe that Putin's ambitions would rest there or has history taught us that appeasement never works?
The issue i think is that we, and the rest of the EU, prevaricated in tbe face of Russian aggression going back years.

in past years bodies on London streets would be followed by dozens of bodies on others. We let someone kill Gregory Markov. We let someone kill Litvinyenko. It gors on.

When a shithead tried to screw with my employer over a Saudi contract i was called in as part of the 'get well' team. 'Fixers' known to my uncle for fixing problems caused for Saudi's main merchant navy carrier were approached. The problem was resolved when two singularly disruptive individuals were taken out to the desert and left there.

Nobody screwed with us again.

This is the only thing Putin understands because he's KGB and that's how we treated the KGB 

I think in the same way that Maggie created the vacuum that emboldened Argentina, causing the falklands invasion that a harder line might have curtailed, so i think a failure to provide a hard line response highlighting extermination as tbe only outcome for Russian adventurism emboldened Putin's actions
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on June 22, 2024, 06:46:56 PM
Considering that in all wars the first casualty is the truth...

Ukraine is white and Russia is black, is a complete lie, isn't it?
Zelenskyy isn't the new messiah, and Putin is not the devil incarnate. To see that there are shades of grey in this conflict is wisdom, however the establishment, both Labour and Conservatives will use this as a stick to beat the Farage.
Meanwhile the Tories and the EU continue to sabre rattle against the Bear.
Curious though that you don't apply the same reasoning to Israel and Palestine. It works for both or it works for neither.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on June 23, 2024, 11:16:51 AM
The point I was making is that if he was talking sense he wouldn't have frame this the way he has and left himself open.
He probably didn't think he had to clarify at the time because he was talking to the European parliament who knew the score . Very few people apart from myself and half a dozen fruit bats and closet racists watched the feeds from the EU at that time  and I don't suppose he thought for one minute he would be standing in an election 10 years in the future having to defend that speech .

Farage has clarified though in recent press releases though other party leaders are still desperately trying to score points off the back of it . From what Im seeing in other social media nobody is buying the attempted diversion they had hoped for . The scrutiny is firmly back on the Westminster parties 

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 23, 2024, 10:58:34 AM
Dont really know how Farage was not talking sense , he told the EU that they were playing with fire in getting involved with the Ukraine and thats turned out to be the case .

In fact he is the only person that is talking sense , he told it as it was while those that today try and score pre election points  off what he said 10 years ago looked away  and even supported the EU's expansionist policies .
The point I was making is that if he was talking sense he wouldn't have frame this the way he has and left himself open.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on June 22, 2024, 08:57:46 PM
Farage talks sense except on Trump and this,Putin would like to see a return of empire/ussr which ruled over all the other constituent parts.

There was a policy in so many of those regions of Russification in which Russians moved into various places and the native people were deported often to Siberia so who would blame so many of those peoples to seek to join with the rest of Europe and the umbrella of NATO.

athe crimea was originally the home of the Tartars till Russification occurred.
Dont really know how Farage was not talking sense , he told the EU that they were playing with fire in getting involved with the Ukraine and thats turned out to be the case .

In fact he is the only person that is talking sense , he told it as it was while those that today try and score pre election points  off what he said 10 years ago looked away  and even supported the EU's expansionist policies . 

cromwell

Farage talks sense except on Trump and this,Putin would like to see a return of empire/ussr which ruled over all the other constituent parts.

There was a policy in so many of those regions of Russification in which Russians moved into various places and the native people were deported often to Siberia so who would blame so many of those peoples to seek to join with the rest of Europe and the umbrella of NATO.

athe crimea was originally the home of the Tartars till Russification occurred.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Considering that in all wars the first casualty is the truth...

Ukraine is white and Russia is black, is a complete lie, isn't it?
Zelenskyy isn't the new messiah, and Putin is not the devil incarnate. To see that there are shades of grey in this conflict is wisdom, however the establishment, both Labour and Conservatives will use this as a stick to beat the Farage.
Meanwhile the Tories and the EU continue to sabre rattle against the Bear.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Farage hasn't followed Trump ,he stood up in the EU Parliament in 2014 ,3 years before Trump became president and said basically what he said last night . That poking the Russian bear would result in retaliation from Putin .

What he was referring to was the trade agreement the EU was about to sign with Ukraine on aligning much of Ukraines standards .This at a time when Russia were trying to get Ukraine to agree closer trade agreements 

We then had the elections and the argy bargy of pro Russian president being ousted for a (US and EU backed) more western one .

So the west had basically changed the Ukraine president for one we liked and then agreed a trade deal with them .Russia retaliation was to invade Crimea . 

So yes Farage has a point ,we poked the Russian bear .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VTWKTij684

Where Farage has slipped up IMO is in not fully condemning Putins invasion ,he has said it was wrong but should have gone further and said something like "I predicted what would happen but now we are where we are I fully support Ukraines  right to defend itself "

IMO the only way this war ends is when Russia is expelled from all of Ukraine though it can't go on for ever and wars do eventually end . Ukraine and Russia will at some point have to sit down and work it out . 

T00ts

So Farage follows what I believe is the Trump line on Russia's attack on Ukraine, but does he have a point? Putin has always wished for reinstatement of USSR it's in his DNA and perhaps the increasing approach of both the EU and NATO made him react like a wild animal trapped in a corner. Or perhaps he simply saw the opportunity of fobbing the blame onto their actions while searching for an excuse to attack. I believe that attack of some sort was and still is inevitable particularly as Putin's time draws to a close.

However should we now agree to an end to the war on Putin's terms with little regard for the efforts of Ukraine over the last couple of years? If Putin's wishes are granted, and I believe there are those who would be more than happy to 'persuade' Ukraine to surrender, wouldn't that constitute appeasement? Does anyone really believe that Putin's ambitions would rest there or has history taught us that appeasement never works?