Main Menu

5g mobiles

Started by boggart, February 19, 2020, 05:31:32 PM

« previous - next »

boggart

Price of data is an irrelevance really.

I pay £7.50 a month for 2¼GB of data, some hundred minutes of calls and some thousands of SMS. I use data for Android Auto/Waze and the odd email when I'm out an about. Maybe check a sports score or something, otherwise it can wait until I am home/office. I guess though, that others feel lost without being on line 25/8/366

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: boggart post_id=16982 time=1582133492 user_id=80
 but really, what is the point of 5g on a mobile? What is the benefit of 5g on a mobile? (I don't watch films on it, and I am not a gamer)

All data is 1/10 of the price.

Whether that saving is passed on to you in Blighty is a different matter, but that's the spec.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

patman post

^^^

Could this waist of time bring back hour glass figures when 5g is widespread...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Wiggles

Despite my age I am reasonably up on this. For 99% a decent 4G signal is enough. You can browse the internet and watch video quite comfortably. I live in area where we have large areas without 2G or 3G, so the idea of 4G is a novelty. I am convinced 5G won't be anything we will ever see. 5G can't go through obstacles, so millions upon millions of masts have to be erected. I would argue it's a step backwards, not forwards. Ironically, most of the places people use their phones have WiFi, making any external data a waist of time.
A hand up, not a hand out

boggart

Thanks all. It's as I thought. I can ignore the fan fare of 5g mobiles as if and when the infrastructure is in place, I might or might not get better connection (although what I get now suffices) and apart from that, it will most likely offer vastly improved performance that I won't use.

Now 5g at home is a different matter...... I just wonder whether that will arrive before fibre!

Barry

Quote from: boggart post_id=16982 time=1582133492 user_id=80
I am possibly in the market, in the not too distant future, for a new mobile telephone, although I'll try and keep as long as possible. I buy SIM free and have a SIM only contract. Now I note all these adverts for new mobiles, stating that they are 5g compatible. I realise to sell more handsets, manufacturers like to shout about new things, but really, what is the point of 5g on a mobile? What is the benefit of 5g on a mobile? (I don't watch films on it, and I am not a gamer)

Even if you did watch films on it, 4G is sufficient for that, just not quite so fast to download.

If the phone is 5G compatible, it will be more future proof, but a lot of SIM cards available are still only $G,, depending on the carrier.

You don't need 5G any more than I do, I suspect.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

1G phones don't work properly where I live so 5G stands no chance for a long time.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

More reliable connections, better signal strength and improved call quality — but that all depends on the infrastructure being widely installed, which it isn't yet.

This is reasonably informative without drooling over the technicalities...

https://www.mobiles.co.uk/blog/benefits-of-buying-a-5g-phone/">https://www.mobiles.co.uk/blog/benefits ... -5g-phone/">https://www.mobiles.co.uk/blog/benefits-of-buying-a-5g-phone/
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

You can burn through your data allowance about ten times faster than you can with 4g

Seriously, the question you need to ask is what do you DO with your phone in the middle of a field miles from any wifi

If the answer to that is not much, then why do you need this ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

boggart

I am possibly in the market, in the not too distant future, for a new mobile telephone, although I'll try and keep as long as possible. I buy SIM free and have a SIM only contract. Now I note all these adverts for new mobiles, stating that they are 5g compatible. I realise to sell more handsets, manufacturers like to shout about new things, but really, what is the point of 5g on a mobile? What is the benefit of 5g on a mobile? (I don't watch films on it, and I am not a gamer)