Sunak deluded:- " UK better place to live now than in 2010."

Started by papasmurf, June 30, 2024, 05:34:29 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Everyone has different perspectives

For people who lived through those decades, some say they preferred them owing to the spirit of the time compared to now, but others say they were harsh and ruthless times and they saw loved ones suffer unimaginably, I wouldn't wish that on anyone
+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 07:36:09 PM
They were going to lose it anyway, at this point I doubt he cares and probably wants to torpedo the Tories' chances of winning anyway, as they made his life hell as PM (the Tories on his own benches), some are even betting on themselves losing their own seat

The fact remains that most decades are better than the former, although not always I grant you, but in many respects they often are
As i have often said, i would swap places with my father in a heartbeat

All he had to do was dodge nazi bombs trying to destroy his father's war effort and try not to become a statistic in the Calder Hall fire. In return he saw an upturn in financlal wellbeing not enjoyed in the UK for the intelligent end of the working class EVER

in stark contrast i'e had my oension raided, my business destroyed and my childred's and grsndchildren's futures royally fucked bychancellors of both political spectra.

fortunately my grand daughter has realised that all you get if you work hard is yourcstate pension taxed at 40%
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 01, 2024, 07:25:36 AM
 people nowdays have it relatively easy, note I said relatively
14 million people are in precarity, the number of food banks continues to rise, and more and more people are being evicted using "no fault" evictions. There is a massive housing crisis. It is now a situation worse, far beyond any other time in my lifetime. (75 years.) The cost of living crisis is severe. Inflation may have dropped a tad but prices have not.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

People have told me they grew up with ice in their house and almost no food at all, sleeping under a coat to keep warm in the winter as they had no bedding whatsoever, I believe RJD said some of those things were part of his upbringing on the old UK Debate forum?

That to me is 'harsh' and compared to the 40s both during and post war, and the 50s - people nowdays have it relatively easy, note I said relatively
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 01, 2024, 04:42:25 AM
No argument here, but how much of a disaster compared to decades prior..?
I am 75 years old and I cannot remember things being as bad as they are now. (Even during my early childhood when Britain was still recovering from the war. ) 

Borg Refinery

No argument here, but how much of a disaster compared to decades prior..?
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 07:36:09 PM
They were going to lose it anyway, at this point I doubt he cares and probably wants to torpedo the Tories' chances of winning anyway, as they made his life hell as PM (the Tories on his own benches), some are even betting on themselves losing their own seat

The fact remains that most decades are better than the former, although not always I grant you, but in many respects they often are
The last 14 years have been a disaster for the majority of the UK population.

Borg Refinery

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 07:25:07 PM
The absolute poverty after housing costs metric is not cherrypicking. It also doesn't make me deluded to think it isn't.
Sunak is deluded if he thinks the country is better of now that it was in 2010. Such an ill informed crass statement has guaranteed the Tories will lose the general election.

Borg Refinery

The absolute poverty after housing costs metric is not cherrypicking. It also doesn't make me deluded to think it isn't.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 05:53:10 PM
Absolute child poverty after housing costs has fallen since 2010.

https://fullfact.org/live/2024/may/child-poverty-sunak-pmqs/

That might have happened whoever was in power and it might even have been better with another govt, most decades are better than the previous ones even if the govt is completely incompetent, well, at least historically.
Nice cherry picking, but with more and more food banks, the NHS in state of collapse, housing unaffordable for the young and 14 million people in precarity Sunak is deluded. (That was just a few examples.)
Based on the governments own data:-
4.3million children in poverty are being failed - UK Gov needs to wake up (savethechildren.org.uk)

"Today 4.3 million children are being failed. It is an outrage that 100,000 more children are in poverty – they are being forgotten. 

"These shocking figures should be an urgent wake up call to all of us, especially the UK Government: we cannot go on like this. There is no reason children should be going without food, heating, toys, or beds.
"Families need an adequate social security system that keeps children out of poverty, and provides them with a basic level of safety and security. The UK Government must scrap the unfair two-child-limit, and introduce a 'child lock' on children's social security to protect children from hardship and suffering."
Notes:
2022/23 - 4.2m children in relative poverty after housing costs
2023/24 stats:

• 4.3 million children in relative poverty after housing costs (30% of all children in the UK), 100,000 more than last year

• 826,000 children live in households that have used foodbanks in the last year

• 34% children in poverty live in lone parent households

• 43% of children in poverty live in a household where someone has a disability

• 35% of children in poverty live in a household headed by someone from an ethnic minority (defined as non White British)

• 50% of children in poverty live in a household with 3 or more children – affected by the sibling tax (two child limit)

• Absolute poverty has also risen. There are now 3.6 million children in absolute poverty compared to 3.3 last year.
Figures from:
Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), released 21 March 2024, GOV.UK website, statistical release, Households below average income: for financial years ending 1995 to 2023.

Borg Refinery

Absolute child poverty after housing costs has fallen since 2010.

https://fullfact.org/live/2024/may/child-poverty-sunak-pmqs/

That might have happened whoever was in power and it might even have been better with another govt, most decades are better than the previous ones even if the govt is completely incompetent, well, at least historically. 
+++

papasmurf