Opinion polling.

Started by papasmurf, July 02, 2024, 08:22:47 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Hmmm

Back n the days of Strowager exchanges it was far from unheard of for wrong number type calls to occur...

Most were made at about 11:15pm (or 10:45 pm in Cardiff) and the conversation would be of the form

'Ring Ring ........'
'Hello'
'Mr Wilde ?'
'Er.... No. Who is this ?'
'So you're NOT Wilde then'
'No'
'Well I would be if some arsehole rang me at this time of night'. Click

Having freelanced for the software company that did MORI's phone dialler, first of all their randomiser - which i don't think they are even allowed to use these days - was not in those days allowed to dial without first validating the number as absent from the TPS Exclusion List.

Secondly, while i can WELL understand that the telephone numbers of remote Cornish Villages would make ideal hunting ground for the collection of the opinions of six fingered banjo players, i am not aware of that being a real criteria for categorisation of ANY polling demographic

I think your caller was, to be frank, taking the piss.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 02, 2024, 10:19:13 PM
Couldn't they have asked you some questions about whether you like fruit with your Weetabix, rather than waste the phone call?
I suggest you ask MORI about their policy. The questions only got as far as age and education, I did not fit the demographic they were looking for. So I have no idea what the polling questions would have been about.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on July 02, 2024, 08:22:47 AM
Yesterday at around 17.00 hours the phone rang, it was MORI the opinion pollsters. (I am ex directory, by they were using random number phoning.) After asking me a few questions it transpired I am overqualified educationally  for the demographic they wished to poll.
Couldn't they have asked you some questions about whether you like fruit with your Weetabix, rather than waste the phone call?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 02, 2024, 11:43:21 AM
Ahhh so you told them you're voting reform :P
It did not get that far, as soon as the lady asked about educational qualifications apparently I am too highly qualified for the demographic they were looking for.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 02, 2024, 08:22:47 AM
Yesterday at around 17.00 hours the phone rang, it was MORI the opinion pollsters. (I am ex directory, by they were using random number phoning.) After asking me a few questions it transpired I am overqualified educationally  for the demographic they wished to poll.
Ahhh so you told them you're voting reform :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf