Started by Borg Refinery, July 06, 2024, 06:45:25 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 10, 2024, 07:45:18 PM
https://www.statista.com/statistics/382695/uk-foodbank-users/

2008: 25.8k
2009: 40.8k

The trend was upwards as they left power - fact
It is fact however it rose very steeply with the Tories in power and is now in the millions. Helped by Tory austerity. The link the the chart I referenced shows that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 10, 2024, 07:42:15 PM
Nick it was bloody obvious you were lying and trolling about food bank queues, and cigarettes. (That is something the Daily Heil tried years ago.)
So nobody EVER smokes whilst standing in the queue? Is that what you're saying?

Ive seen it with my own eyes and only someone stupid would argue what people have actually seen. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on July 10, 2024, 02:00:39 PM
No they did not rise sharply under labour.  I posted  a link earlier proving that.

Here it is again. Chart at link
UK food bank users 2024 | Statista
https://www.statista.com/statistics/382695/uk-foodbank-users/

2008: 25.8k
2009: 40.8k

The trend was upwards as they left power - fact
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 10, 2024, 06:35:00 PM
Smurf, you're talk rubbish as usual. What lie did I say about food bank queues?
Nick it was bloody obvious you were lying and trolling about food bank queues, and cigarettes. (That is something the Daily Heil tried years ago.)

Nick

Smurf, you're talk rubbish as usual. What lie did I say about food bank queues?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 10, 2024, 01:40:19 PM
Labour will fix everything overnight, even though Food Bank use rose sharply whilst they were in power

No they did not rise sharply under labour.  I posted  a link earlier proving that.

Here it is again. Chart at link

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry on July 09, 2024, 10:33:58 PM
I feel sure that the use of foodbanks will fall sharply now that Labour are in charge.
It's not that anything will have changed for people financially, but that the usefulness of food banks as a political weapon against the NASTY Tory Party will have outrun its usefulness. (seriously).

Labour will fix everything overnight, even though Food Bank use rose sharply whilst they were in power

It Was All the Tories' Fault!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tUqRBiMVo

But I do also think there's an important point to make here which is The Tories The Tories The Tories

I'm sorry I'm going to have to stop you there we -

David, if you'd allow me to finish, The Tories

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 10, 2024, 11:53:43 AM
So once again you're back on a lead cause you can't help your self. Do not accuse people of trolling just cause you disagree with them.
Nick your blatant lie about foodbank queues was trolling. (Which is why I called you out on it.)
By the way I have this morning made an official complaint to OFCOM about GBNews not challenging lies and propaganda about welfare being stated this morning. (Just the latest instance of Mike Parry and Andrew Pierce spouting lies about welfare/benefits and not being challenged.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 10, 2024, 08:11:42 AM
It will be some time before the need for food banks falls. A significant tranche of  food bank users are in work (There are even more increases in the price of food pending due to crop failures, drought, floods, and other supply problems. With a few months spuds could become a luxury item.)
It was the fact the Tories never acknowledges the massive increase in the need for foodbanks on their watch was in the main caused by their policies.

(Nicks blatant trolling does not help the debate either.)

Chart at link:-

In 2023/24 approximately 3.12 million people used a food bank in the United Kingdom, an increase when compared with the previous year. Since 2008/09, the number of food bank users increased significantly,  with just under 26,000 using food banks that year.
So once again you're back on a lead cause you can't help your self. Do not accuse people of trolling just cause you disagree with them. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 09, 2024, 10:33:58 PM
I feel sure that the use of foodbanks will fall sharply now that Labour are in charge.
It's not that anything will have changed for people financially, but that the usefulness of food banks as a political weapon against the NASTY Tory Party will have outrun its usefulness. (seriously).
It will be some time before the need for food banks falls. A significant tranche of  food bank users are in work (There are even more increases in the price of food pending due to crop failures, drought, floods, and other supply problems. With a few months spuds could become a luxury item.)
It was the fact the Tories never acknowledges the massive increase in the need for foodbanks on their watch was in the main caused by their policies.

(Nicks blatant trolling does not help the debate either.)

Chart at link:-

In 2023/24 approximately 3.12 million people used a food bank in the United Kingdom, an increase when compared with the previous year. Since 2008/09, the number of food bank users increased significantly,  with just under 26,000 using food banks that year.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on July 09, 2024, 09:49:55 PM
I've actually eaten bollocks,lambs and very tasty they were too.
Yeah, I had them in Colorado, they call them Rocky Mountain Ousters lol

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2024, 09:04:37 PM
Think you've got the wrong bollocks 😉
I've actually eaten bollocks,lambs and very tasty they were too.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2024, 07:49:49 PM
I just did set out why he is wrong. He left a lot out of his calculation. (As did 30p Lee.)
My wife and I both squeak when we walk and make a Scotsman look profligate it is not possible to cook a healthy meal for 30p.
Even this misses out getting to and from to buy the food. (Also food costs are now far higher.)

To ask what you can actually cook for 30p/meal? | Mumsnet

Following on from the comments by MP Lee Anderson I was wondering what I could actually make for 30p/head. I'm a pretty good thrifty cook but all I could come up with were:

beans on toast (budget brands)
tinned tomatoes on toast (budget brands)
tinned mushrooms on toast (budget brands)
egg on toast
cheese on toast (ditto)
some kind of veggie stew/sauces w red lentils (if cooking for more than one) to eat w pasta
stir fry noodles w a few shreds of veg
bowl of basics cereal

I'm not counting things like baked potatoes where the ingredients are cheap but the energy costs to cook them are high.

So what am I missing? What skills and recipes are this food bank teaching? Wild foraging? Poaching? Shop-lifting 101?

You're that eager to shout people down you don't read what they have written. 
SW explained to you that a chef said they cooked X number of meals for X amount of money. X / X equaled 30p, Lee didn't make that number up, it was given to him. That's the first bit you didn't understand!! Secondly I never mentioned 30p, I said I could cook good family meals for £5 for four people and the fact people choose fags and booze over good home cooking is nobodies fault except theirs. So put your attitude away and start debating properly, as saying something is just bollocks shows a complete lack of brain cells. 

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2024, 07:49:49 PM
I just did set out why he is wrong. He left a lot out of his calculation. (As did 30p Lee.)
My wife and I both squeak when we walk and make a Scotsman look profligate it is not possible to cook a healthy meal for 30p.
Even this misses out getting to and from to buy the food. (Also food costs are now far higher.)

To ask what you can actually cook for 30p/meal? | Mumsnet

Following on from the comments by MP Lee Anderson I was wondering what I could actually make for 30p/head. I'm a pretty good thrifty cook but all I could come up with were:

beans on toast (budget brands)
tinned tomatoes on toast (budget brands)
tinned mushrooms on toast (budget brands)
egg on toast
cheese on toast (ditto)
some kind of veggie stew/sauces w red lentils (if cooking for more than one) to eat w pasta
stir fry noodles w a few shreds of veg
bowl of basics cereal

I'm not counting things like baked potatoes where the ingredients are cheap but the energy costs to cook them are high.

So what am I missing? What skills and recipes are this food bank teaching? Wild foraging? Poaching? Shop-lifting 101?

Whilst a 30p meal is possible long term it is unrealistic,however it is possible to cook and eat on a meagre budget but the problem is people don't have the skills or the inclination in some cases to do that.

Too many have been brought up on a easy crap diet,that's not their fault but it is possible if you look around enough to attain those skills but it might be better if they were provided with them.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?