List of ministers in the new Labour government.

Started by papasmurf, July 06, 2024, 12:50:17 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on July 06, 2024, 09:12:21 PM
Funnily enough, I had a problem with "Call me Dave" being Lorded into government. He's a useless wet.
Yes me too. Doesn't say much for the labour party candidates does it that they need to go outside elected MP's to fill the top jobs . 

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2024, 08:10:55 PM
David Cameron was not elected to the Tory cabinet, what is your problem.
Funnily enough, I had a problem with "Call me Dave" being Lorded into government. He's a useless wet.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 06, 2024, 08:01:48 PM
Ah good , while you're at it you could ask why there are a number of un-elected persons in the cabinet . Can hardly hold them to account  and vote them out next time if they mess it up can we
Ministers are not accountable to voters except at elections where thexanswer for thecactions of their government.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 06, 2024, 08:01:48 PM
Ah good , while you're at it you could ask why there are a number of un-elected persons in the cabinet . Can hardly hold them to account  and vote them out next time if they mess it up can we
David Cameron was not elected to the Tory cabinet, what is your problem.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2024, 03:04:21 PM
I don't have any expectations. I and others are starting lobbying in the next few days.(Very specific problem which no-one mentioned at all in the General Election Campaign. Keeping it to ourselves at the moment.)

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 06, 2024, 01:30:03 PM
Well I hope they live up to your expectations papa .
I don't have any expectations. I and others are starting lobbying in the next few days.(Very specific problem which no-one mentioned at all in the General Election Campaign. Keeping it to ourselves at the moment.)

Streetwalker

Well I hope they live up to your expectations papa .

I have little faith that any of them are up to the jobs they fill but hope to be proved wrong .Nobody should want them to fail and though they are all from the other end of the political spectrum to myself we can wish them well and hope for the best 

While preparing  for the worst .

papasmurf

Ministerial Appointments: July 2024 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

The King has been pleased to approve the following appointments:

• Rt Hon Keir Starmer as Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury
  • Rt Hon Angela Rayner MP as Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities. She will also be Deputy Prime Minister
  • Rt Hon Rachel Reeves MP as Chancellor of the Exchequer
  • Rt Hon Pat McFadden MP as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
  • Rt Hon David Lammy MP as Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs
  • Rt Hon Yvette Cooper MP as Secretary of State for the Home Department
  • Rt Hon John Healey MP as Secretary of State for Defence
  • Shabana Mahmood MP as Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice
  • Wes Streeting MP as Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
  • Bridget Phillipson MP as Secretary of State for Education
  • Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP as Secretary of State for Energy Security and Net Zero
  • Liz Kendall MP as Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
  • Jonathan Reynolds MP as Secretary of State for Business and Trade and President of the Board of Trade
  • Peter Kyle MP as Secretary of State for Science, Innovation and Technology
  • Louise Haigh MP as Secretary of State for Transport
  • Steve Reed OBE MP as Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
  • Lisa Nandy MP as Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
  • Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
  • Ian Murray MP as Secretary of State for Scotland
  • Jo Stevens MP as Secretary of State for Wales
  • Lucy Powell MP as Lord President of the Council, and Leader of the House of Common
  • Rt Hon Baroness Smith of Basildon as Lord Privy Seal, and Leader of the House of Lords
  • Rt Hon Sir Alan Campbell MP as Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (Chief Whip); 
  • Darren Jones MP as Chief Secretary to the Treasury;
  • Richard Hermer KC as Attorney General*
  • Sir Patrick Vallance KCB as a Minister of State (Minister for Science) in the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology *
  • James Timpson OBE as a Minister of State (Minister for Prisons, Parole and Probation) in the Ministry of Justice *

• *The King has been pleased to signify His intention of conferring a Peerage of the United Kingdom for Life.