Where is my Democratic Right?

Started by Scott777, July 10, 2024, 10:21:34 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on July 11, 2024, 06:49:03 PM
I hope to see more anger from the left to come.  Getting rid of the uniparty would be a start.  But as with the Tories, they are just being replaced with another Tory party called Reform.
Actually it is now three Labour ministers I am not happy with, (I am not alone in that,)  and one post not yet filled. Plus Blair is being nasty. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on July 10, 2024, 01:53:30 PM
Frankly one of Starmer's ministerial appointments has shocked and angered me.

I hope to see more anger from the left to come.  Getting rid of the uniparty would be a start.  But as with the Tories, they are just being replaced with another Tory party called Reform.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Barry on July 11, 2024, 06:25:45 PM
Proportional Representation by party list would help to solve this.

Assuming politicians could be trusted, that would be essential.  But they can't.  I can only see referendums as rare instances of democracy, as long as they are implemented.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

Quote from: Scott777 on July 10, 2024, 10:21:34 AM
I did not vote is this election, because not a single party represent me.  The Tories are traitors, Labour is worse, Galloway has various problems, and the problem with Farage is he's a fake, a liar, and only serves the interests of rich people.  This means I have not been represented, which is kind of what representative democracy is supposed to do.  I would say quite a lot of people feel the same.  Which means we don't have representative democracy, and therefore no democracy at all.
I know what you mean, but the less people vote the more the sway of those that do actually vote.
Which is why two thirds of the country did not vote Labour, and got Labour.
Only about 1 in 6 of the electorate voted Labour, because almost half of them did not vote.

Proportional Representation by party list would help to solve this. Not that Alternative Vote malarky either!
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on July 10, 2024, 01:48:20 PM
That's fine for you, if you don't mind Labour.  
Frankly one of Starmer's ministerial appointments has shocked and angered me. 

Scott777

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 10, 2024, 01:30:07 PM
Thats good . The worst thing for the democratic process is having people vote just for the sake of it , people voting who don't know what they are voting for or those who think tactical voting solves anything .
Leave it to those who are clear on who they want to govern ,unfortunately this time the vote was based on who people didn't want rather than who they did
But thats democracy ;)

Absolutely.  Although I don't think you can call it democracy, by keeping out the worst parties.  That's not power of any kind.  Every party in my constituency would make the county more crap.

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on July 10, 2024, 10:35:22 AM
But by tactical voting I no longer have a Tory MP for which I am truly grateful.

That's fine for you, if you don't mind Labour.  There is no one who I don't mind. They are are crap.  I would have voted for Heritage Party, but they did not stand in North London.

Scott777

Quote from: cromwell on July 10, 2024, 10:24:28 AM
Well TBF Scott if you don't vote you can't really complain,you could've put none of the above to register your protest.

What would that achieve?  Democracy means the ability of the people to influence policy.

Borg Refinery

I did not vote is this election, because not a single party represent me.  The Tories are traitors, Labour is worse, Galloway has various problems, and the problem with Farage is he's a fake, a liar, and only serves the interests of rich people.  This means I have not been represented, which is kind of what representative democracy is supposed to do.  I would say quite a lot of people feel the same.  Which means we don't have representative democracy, and therefore no democracy at all.

100% agreed with all this.

Good analysis, Scott.
+++

Streetwalker

Thats good . The worst thing for the democratic process is having people vote just for the sake of it , people voting who don't know what they are voting for or those who think tactical voting solves anything .
Leave it to those who are clear on who they want to govern ,unfortunately this time the vote was based on who people didn't want rather than who they did 
But thats democracy ;)

papasmurf

But by tactical voting I no longer have a Tory MP for which I am truly grateful.

cromwell

Well TBF Scott if you don't vote you can't really complain,you could've put none of the above to register your protest.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Scott777

I did not vote is this election, because not a single party represent me.  The Tories are traitors, Labour is worse, Galloway has various problems, and the problem with Farage is he's a fake, a liar, and only serves the interests of rich people.  This means I have not been represented, which is kind of what representative democracy is supposed to do.  I would say quite a lot of people feel the same.  Which means we don't have representative democracy, and therefore no democracy at all.