D-Day Veteran Appalled By Nation He Sacrificed All For

Started by Borg Refinery, July 12, 2024, 03:18:47 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

If you're referring to me as a political tub thumper, not only do I not agree with GB News' message (as specified in OP body), but I don't agree with the Tories, Reform etc so as usual, you're barking up the wrong tree

The fact is this D-Day vet feels unsafe in his own home due to yobs up the road terrorizing people, those were his own words and that is wrong, whoever's in power, whoever does/doesn't do anything about it

The fact is that he shouldn't feel like that, and I wouldn't want to be the one to look like Emily Thornberry and patronise normal people as elite/metro/snobby libs often love to do. But carry on, I'm sure Lab will get re-elected next time. ;)
+++

patman post

Very sad. 

The lack of effective policing allows political tub-thumpers, and the Hang-em and Flog-em Right-Wing news media, to exaggerate every scrap of villainy and turn it into a constant barrage of bad reports.

It's understandable if some frail and elderly are affected and get nervous...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

More information about D-Day veteran Les Underwood

QuoteA Royal Navy gunner on a merchant ship, Les Underwood's vessel spent D-Day unloading ammunition day and night.
The ship was laying offshore during this process and coming under enemy fire.
He was one of thousands of Navy and Royal Marine personnel assigned to what were known as DEMS - Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships. 
The Merchant Navy - made up of international shipping companies with civilian seafarers - also played a key role transporting men and supplies across the Channel after D-Day. ...

ITV News
+++

Borg Refinery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w821uJBx7MA

QuoteA D-Day veteran who wears nine medals including the rare Atlantic Star has said he "would not fight for the country as it is today".
Les Underwood, a Royal Navy gunner who was one of 160,000 men tasked with launching the liberation of Europe in June 1944, said he was now scared of being "stabbed or shot" if he left his home.

Mr Underwood, 98, was stationed on a merchant ship that unloaded ammunition day and night from the EnglishChannel.

GB News

We all know GB News is a poor source, but the interview with the veteran Les Underwood and the other guy  - who helped veterans' charities - struck me, regardless of the source, the D-Day veteran's words speak for themselves.

Salute to him and their bravery

+++