Main Menu

Should make Smurfs day

Started by cromwell, July 20, 2024, 05:24:27 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 20, 2024, 06:49:37 PM
Do you never get tired of propagating the same dross day after day.
As you keep telling everyone, personal experience means nothing.
You may have an idea of accommodation costs but certainly have no clue as to how much money people have in their banks or pockets. Your logical conclusions are truly ridiculous.
It is NOT dross. Nick tourists with empty wallets is a common complaint this year. It has been rammed where I live for months now. BUT local businesses in the village are all complaining about lack of customers.  Being over-run with tourists with no money to spend. 

There are several datasets for savings or lack of them:-

UK Savings Statistics 2024 - Saving Facts and Stats Report | money.co.uk

Quick overview of UK savings statistics 2024

The fact that 30% of the UK population have savings of less than £1,000 is not their fault (taxresearch.org.uk)

The summary of the report's findings is as follows:

• As many as 1-in-3 (30 per cent) of working-age adults live in families with savings below £1,000, leaving them financially vulnerable and ill-equipped to respond to small cashflow shocks.
  • Larger precautionary savings balances would help people cope with bigger shocks, but the country's savings shortfall is significant. If every working-age family in Britain had at least three months' income in precautionary savings, aggregate savings would be £74 billion higher.
  • Saving for retirement is also too low. 39 per cent of individuals aged 22 to the State Pension age (equivalent to 13 million people) were undersaving for retirement when measured against target replacement rates of at least two third of pre-retirement income.
  • Policies to boost precautionary saving have largely involve fiscal incentives, such as tax breaks or bonuses based on account balances. These policies are expensive, exceeding £8 billion in 2023-24, and are inefficient as they disproportionately benefit wealthier households.
  • Pension auto-enrolment has transformed pension saving. Since the introduction of auto-enrolment, the proportion of employees with a pension climbed from 47 per cent in 2012 to 79 per cent in 2021 – an extraordinary policy achievement.
  • Precautionary and pension saving are in tension. Evidence indicates that when default auto-enrolment contribution rates were increased from 2 per cent to 8 per cent between 2018 and 2019, for every £1 reduction in take-home pay due to higher pension contributions, employees reduced their consumption by 34p, with the rest of the contribution funded through either lower liquid saving or higher debt.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 20, 2024, 06:19:26 PM
Not really, despite bleatings and tearing  of hair by tourist/hospitality businesses that tourist numbers are down. Where I live it is still rammed with tourists  by 10.00 hours every day. (Wandering around in the middle of the road like Zombies.)The main problem being after they have been ripped off by what the have been charged for accommodation they have no money left to spend.
Do you never get tired of propagating the same dross day after day. 
As you keep telling everyone, personal experience means nothing. 
You may have an idea of accommodation costs but certainly have no clue as to how much money people have in their banks or pockets. Your logical conclusions are truly ridiculous. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 20, 2024, 05:24:27 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13652951/brits-fed-cornwall-resorts-fail-seaside-list.html

;):)
Not really, despite bleatings and tearing  of hair by tourist/hospitality businesses that tourist numbers are down. Where I live it is still rammed with tourists  by 10.00 hours every day. (Wandering around in the middle of the road like Zombies.)The main problem being after they have been ripped off by what the have been charged for accommodation they have no money left to spend. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

I thought exactly the same!  ;D