IT Chaos - all left high and dry.

Started by T00ts, July 20, 2024, 07:37:55 PM

« previous - next »

Scott777

Quote from: Barry on July 21, 2024, 06:44:27 PM
I've seen a theory which might be wacko, that this breakdown was engineered to cover up some major criminal activity which has or is about to occur.
Some are even saying this is to "steal" the Presidential election.
I know - sounds crazy, it is what I've heard.
I've heard there were 2 shooters at the attempted assassination of Trump, and it was the deep state.  I have no idea how it might connect to an IT problem, but we shall see.  🤔
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on July 21, 2024, 03:36:37 PM
In this case it appears it was human error. I suspect the culprit will be awarded the DCM. (Don't Come Monday.)

Oh well, human error was also blamed on the lab leak in Wuhan.  The funny thing is, the "error" was very profitable.  And anti-viruses are also quite profitable, which means viruses are profitable too.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

Quote from: Scott777 on July 21, 2024, 03:24:14 PM
Not cynical.  Realistic.  They applied the same idea to real viruses.  They engineered a new one, made it sound worse than it was, then sold the injectable solution.  Bill Gates knows all about it.  The scam came from the IT world.
I've seen a theory which might be wacko, that this breakdown was engineered to cover up some major criminal activity which has or is about to occur.
Some are even saying this is to "steal" the Presidential election.
I know - sounds crazy, it is what I've heard.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on July 21, 2024, 03:24:14 PM
Not cynical.  Realistic.  They applied the same idea to real viruses.  They engineered a new one, made it sound worse than it was, then sold the injectable solution.  Bill Gates knows all about it.  The scam came from the IT world.
In this case it appears it was human error. I suspect the culprit will be awarded the DCM. (Don't Come Monday.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on July 20, 2024, 10:59:59 PM
Call me cynical but if I owned a company writing antivirus software, I'd have another company writing viruses!!

Streetwalker

What the hell ?  standing on the first this morning and my golf watch couldn't pick up a signal .Never failed before in over 20 years . It's a crutch I have relied on maybe too much and was forced to play old school of judging my distances rather than knowing them .
Was delighted with the result , best round of the year so far . 

Technology ? I can live without it 

cromwell

The problem with carrying cash is that it can be seized,I was watching one of those motorway cops tv shows and they were doing an operation on untaxed no mot or insurance on a main route.

Amongst one of the cars stopped was a hire car and there was a dispute over whether it was insured or not,they searched the bloke who hired it and he was carrying a substantial amount of cash he was on the way to the races.

Felt sorry for the bloke,the car and his cash was seized and he was told to make his own way home.

Another of good old tones pieces of legislation.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Barry on July 20, 2024, 10:10:43 PM
Crowdstrike Falcon was a spin-off from McAfee, I believe - something I will never have on any of my devices.
Their anti virus and security software is bulky pants and screws up systems, slowing them down. Ugh!
Call me cynical but if I owned a company writing antivirus software, I'd have another company writing viruses!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on July 20, 2024, 10:10:43 PM
Crowdstrike Falcon was a spin-off from McAfee, I believe - something I will never have on any of my devices.
Their anti virus and security software is bulky pants and screws up systems, slowing them down. Ugh!
Never been much of a computer buff but a mate who is told me years ago to avoid anti virus software like the plague 

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Makes you wonder what would happen if someone actually meant to throw a spanner in the works . A cash reserve indoors is a good policy as is stocking up on the necessities ,you just cant trust the supply line anymore .
I first noticed on Friday morning when I tried ordering my drugs and couldn't get connected . Should be OK by Monday though so no panic though I'm sure there will be some who will make the most of it to moan .8)

Barry

It was a coding error:
https://www.crn.com/news/security/2024/crowdstrike-pins-massive-microsoft-outage-on-logic-error-in-falcon-update

QuoteThe defective CrowdStrike Falcon update led to the meltdown of potentially millions of Microsoft Windows systems worldwide on Friday and hobbled much of what the modern world depends on, from air travel to health care to banking and beyond. Experts have called it the largest IT outage of all time.

Oops, sorreee. 
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on July 20, 2024, 07:37:55 PM
I looked for another thread on this topic but couldn't find one - apologies if this is a duplication.

Airports, hospitals, doctors, banks and it seems just about everything else has been thrown into chaos all over the place. Fortunately I don't seem to have been affected thus far. Fingers crossed.  Shouldn't we all be pricking up our ears and starting to holler at those in Government etc to stop the headless rush into a cashless world?  I have said for some time that it is very short-sighted not to have some cash available should the worst happen. Thing is where to keep it!!  Under the bed? Too obvious. I don't have floor boards so that's a non starter. Years ago I used to have a safe at home. Perhaps I'll be trying that again.
I had to pay cash for my coffee the other morning, being 5 hours behind the U.K. I hadn't heard about the crash at the time. Don't think the Asylum will be going cashless any time soon, a large chunk of the working population is employed in hospitality and rely on ca$h to keep the black economy going. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

I have not been caused any problems. However, more at link:- Important IT message - NHS Cornwall and Isles of Scilly (icb.nhs.uk)

19 July 2024

Updated statement 17:00 Friday 19 July
Following the Global IT issue, work continues by third party suppliers to restore services and some services have been resumed at some GP surgeries.
We know that some services in community pharmacies are still impacted, including accessing prescriptions – which may continue over the weekend.
Our teams are working hard to minimise the disruption.
There is currently no known impact on 999 or emergency services, so people should use these services as they usually would for life or limb emergencies only please.  This will ensure we can focus on the people who need them the most.
How you can help:

• Please don't turn up at the emergency department or our Urgent Treatment Centres or minor injury units, unless you have an urgent medical reason so we can keep these services for the people who need it the most.
  • If it's not urgent, please wait until after the weekend to access services
  • Avoid calling NHS 111 unless it is for an urgent matter that can't wait until after the weekend
  • Use your local pharmacist for minor common conditions
  • If it is an emergency, please do use 999 if you have a life or limb threatening emergency
Thank you for your ongoing understanding and support over this time, it really is appreciated 

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

I looked for another thread on this topic but couldn't find one - apologies if this is a duplication.

Airports, hospitals, doctors, banks and it seems just about everything else has been thrown into chaos all over the place. Fortunately I don't seem to have been affected thus far. Fingers crossed.  Shouldn't we all be pricking up our ears and starting to holler at those in Government etc to stop the headless rush into a cashless world?  I have said for some time that it is very short-sighted not to have some cash available should the worst happen. Thing is where to keep it!!  Under the bed? Too obvious. I don't have floor boards so that's a non starter. Years ago I used to have a safe at home. Perhaps I'll be trying that again.