Main Menu

Ready for a move?

Started by Nick, July 20, 2024, 10:15:25 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on July 21, 2024, 10:59:44 PM
Bet you can't say that when you've had a few snifters :D
It's a bit of a tongue twister at the best of times lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on July 21, 2024, 07:23:38 PM
Not 100% set on Goa, might head down to Kerala yet. We are flying to Mumbai on 6th Aug and then down to Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala the next day. Will be having a look around for rental properties just to give us an idea. Goa won't changes too much, it is very reliant on tourism. Never seen any trouble in India ever and I spend a lot of time there.
Bet you can't say that when you've had a few snifters :D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 21, 2024, 07:52:23 PM
Well whereever you chose to live, I hope it works out well and wish you the best with it

From everything I've read and talked to people about - if I could move to any country anywhere in the world - I'd probably most like to live in a country like Georgia in Asia (not the Georgia I'm in). I'd like to live around the mountains and visit monasteries and similar every single day. The other country a lot of people have told me they loved was Laos - very poor but people there are the nicest anywhere in the world

The places where people have least - often produce the best people
Don't know about Laos but I was in Cambodia a couple of years ago and it was amazing, as you say, really nice people. 

Borg Refinery

Well whereever you chose to live, I hope it works out well and wish you the best with it

From everything I've read and talked to people about - if I could move to any country anywhere in the world - I'd probably most like to live in a country like Georgia in Asia (not the Georgia I'm in). I'd like to live around the mountains and visit monasteries and similar every single day. The other country a lot of people have told me they loved was Laos - very poor but people there are the nicest anywhere in the world

The places where people have least - often produce the best people
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 21, 2024, 07:23:38 PMNever seen any trouble in India ever and I spend a lot of time there.
Frankly I am astounded by that comment Nick:-

India travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 21, 2024, 06:54:11 PM
Interesting, what makes you want to move to Goa in particular? By the way, many in the Dad's side of my family are rich middle & upper class Goans who moved around the world (and made a very good living for themselves).

The way India is right now - despite being eligible for 'indian overseas residency' (owing to my Grandad being Goan) - I would not want to move there. The place is being run into the ground by Hindu extremist BJP and from what I've read, the demographics of Goa are rapidly changing from majority Catholic to majority Hindu. I don't mind that per se, because I'm not racist against Hindus, but from what I've read - the BJP are trying to stamp their mark on relatively untouched areas of India such as Goa too, so that it resembles the rest of it.

Did you see the new laws they passed the other day?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/14/india-laws-protecting-women-review-penal-code

I fully realize me and the wife's standard of living would be astronomically higher in India with the same money we have here in the states, but I'm still opposed to it for reasons laid out above. And India is officially rated the world's most dangerous country to be a woman in too, last I read.

If things calm down over there I personally love the idea of living around the Himalayas if I was going to move there..
Not 100% set on Goa, might head down to Kerala yet. We are flying to Mumbai on 6th Aug and then down to Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala the next day. Will be having a look around for rental properties just to give us an idea. Goa won't changes too much, it is very reliant on tourism. Never seen any trouble in India ever and I spend a lot of time there. 

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on July 20, 2024, 10:15:25 PM
Into one of Labours new homes? They have promised 822 new homes every day, that means there should be 12,330 new homes built since the election, I'm guessing they are probably 10,000 behind.  And guess what, 30% of them have to be social housing, meaning the illegal family that just arrived from Somalia in a dinghy with 8 children ticks more boxes that a family of 4 who were born in the U.K. and lived here ever since. Thankfully I'll be living in Goa in the near future, having travelled there legally, and taking nothing from the state. And when I curl my toes up I'll be set alight at dawn, by dusk I'll be dust, and it'll cost me 10 bob.

Interesting, what makes you want to move to Goa in particular? By the way, many in the Dad's side of my family are rich middle & upper class Goans who moved around the world (and made a very good living for themselves).

The way India is right now - despite being eligible for 'indian overseas residency' (owing to my Grandad being Goan) - I would not want to move there. The place is being run into the ground by Hindu extremist BJP and from what I've read, the demographics of Goa are rapidly changing from majority Catholic to majority Hindu. I don't mind that per se, because I'm not racist against Hindus, but from what I've read - the BJP are trying to stamp their mark on relatively untouched areas of India such as Goa too, so that it resembles the rest of it.

Did you see the new laws they passed the other day?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/14/india-laws-protecting-women-review-penal-code

I fully realize me and the wife's standard of living would be astronomically higher in India with the same money we have here in the states, but I'm still opposed to it for reasons laid out above. And India is officially rated the world's most dangerous country to be a woman in too, last I read.

If things calm down over there I personally love the idea of living around the Himalayas if I was going to move there..
+++

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on July 21, 2024, 02:30:53 PM
That's still short of what he's promising and the building trade is a very different beast to 80 years ago,I'd rather sees SW's take on this as he knows much more than either of us on that.
The trade is a lot different to what it was post war . Back then we had a de-mobbed army looking to earn money and that was in construction .We also had thousands of POW's looking to take some cash home , my own estate in South London was built by Italian POW's in the post war years . We can confidently say the country along with construction companies were  on a mission with a willing workforce .

Today we have greedy companies with land banks they are reluctant to release  as building homes they cannot sell isn't going to endear them to their shareholders . We also have self employed builders who after years of wage suppression due to cheap imported labour are not about to see companies and the  barons take away their recently found control of wages . They are trying recently with poor rates as there is little activity but from what I'm seeing builders are waiting it out 

We have people in London paying 40% tax who can't afford their City rents  let alone buy a house so what chance the rest of us ? Something has to give somewhere . Housing costs have to come down ,both  rents  and  purchase price have to be affordable .So when Labour say they are going to build millions of homes they need to get the industry on board with that and find a way to make the homes they build affordable .

And building on the cheap with imported labour  from the third world isn't the answer 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 21, 2024, 03:34:56 PM
Unlike others who have been brainwashed all of their lives that Labour government is the end of the World.  Given the crap the Tories have left the country in I suggest they wake up and smell the coffee.
The Labour government of 1945 got Britain out of as big as amount of poo as it is now.

Give it a chance. (There are aspects of the current government that I and several million people are NOT happy with until the situation becomes clear.)
Inflation at 2%, and economic growth the highest in the G7. Labour will soon cock that up. 

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 21, 2024, 02:30:53 PM
That's still short of what he's promising and the building trade is a very different beast to 80 years ago,I'd rather sees SW's take on this as he knows much more than either of us on that.
Unlike others who have been brainwashed all of their lives that Labour government is the end of the World.  Given the crap the Tories have left the country in I suggest they wake up and smell the coffee.
The Labour government of 1945 got Britain out of as big as amount of poo as it is now.

Give it a chance. (There are aspects of the current government that I and several million people are NOT happy with until the situation becomes clear.)

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 21, 2024, 11:46:55 AM
Expecting houses to be built straight away is frankly stupid.
Well expecting to build just shy of 822 homes per day is more than a little optimistic wouldn't you say?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 21, 2024, 10:32:51 AM
He's just commenting on a ridiculous Labour promise. Pigs will fly sooner.
Expecting houses to be built straight away is frankly stupid.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on July 21, 2024, 07:42:52 AM
FFS don't be ridiculous.  It is going to take years to sort the mess the Tories have left behind. (If it ever can be.)
He's just commenting on a ridiculous Labour promise. Pigs will fly sooner.
† The end is nigh †