Labour on honeymoon?

Started by T00ts, July 21, 2024, 09:11:50 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on July 22, 2024, 01:44:35 AM
I believe he got less votes than Corbyn, this was just a vote to get the Tories out.
There is much truth to that statement. Labour's success this time is built upon three things. The first is the collapse in support of the SNP in Scotland after internal corruption scandals in high places. The second is that people had become so sick of the Tories that there was massive tactical voting against them, which played to Labour's advantage wherever they were the main challengers. That the Lib Dems got the most seats in their history is due to this same phenomenon. Thirdly, Reform did immense damage to what was left of the potential Tory vote by hopelessly splitting it.

If the right gets it's act together they could start forming an effective challenge for government again, and be a credible opposition within a couple of years. That is a big if right now but cannot be ruled out. But they are out of power for these next four or five years. Labour are now the ones with the power to do things and change things and make things happen. So in many ways now their destiny is in their own hands. If they deliver for the people and this country in a way that large numbers of people are happy with, their support will shore up and increase. If they fail their support could easily collapse and would definitely then do so if the right became a credible force again.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on July 21, 2024, 09:11:50 PM
Ok so we have what is loosely called a bright shiny left centre Government carefully installed in Westminster. They are mostly backed by a left leaning back office of Civil Servants who have actually forgotten who they work for and have done now for some years. Each public Institution from education through medicine to public services has mostly left leaning leaders (thank you so much Tony Blair) and various virtuous voices in London are promising bounty for all taken from anyone daft enough to accrue any worth.

I just wonder how long this honeymoon of our leftie luvvies will last until folk realise that they have been sold a pup, and when they wake up what will the action be? We have had riots in the street over a war that isn't really anything to do with us. We have had workers taking to the pavement while their 'clients' suffer and trains at a standstill not letting the rest get anywhere near a workplace. Will the Starmer naive insanity cause sufficient concern for reprisals in the streets? Were panic alarms issued on the realisation that panic isn't far away? Or will there be a deathly hush while those able leave the country and it won't be Megsit or Brexit but simply EXIT using the already stored small boats and the last one just turn the lights off?

Written with a bit of a tongue in cheek but goodness me I'm already sick of them.
I am actually pleasantly surprised by them so far and find what we have now is a vast improvement and refreshing change from the crap we have endured these past 14 years.

Reining back on the welfare budget by withdrawing handouts from those who don't actually need them is surely exactly what we should be doing in such straitened times?

Legislating to block no fault evictions which looks certain to happen now, having been promised and not delivered by your lot due to being blocked by self interested Tory landlord MPs and also blocking excessive rent hikes. About god damned time.

Reducing the power of Nimby's and forcing councils to build the homes we need, promising to increase the supply of social housing. Full workers rights to be delivered from day 1 and a crackdown on zero hours contracts. Ending the de facto ban on onshore wind farms. Dropping that gimmicky waste of money by which we wasted 800 million quid sending no one to Rwanda. Giving public sector workers a decent pay rise after years of Tory cuts, which in some sectors were risking service collapse due to a growing workforce exodus. VAT to be charged on private schools from January

I have qualms over the lack of even-handedness in the Middle East as usual, and have no doubt that sooner or later decisions will be taken on the domestic front of which I will disapprove pretty strongly, but for now so far so good. A big improvement on the New Labour years appears to be the serious intent with which they want to tackle both the housing crisis and excessively exploitative and insecure work contracts. Blair just carried on blindly with Tory housing policies.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 22, 2024, 08:50:52 PM
Are you expecting the red party to repeal these?
They didn't do anything the last time they were in power so I won't hold my breath. As for red party they look like Tory Mark Three at the moment.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry on July 22, 2024, 08:49:04 PM
I said the real world, not the virtual world.

;D

I read that (the earlier posts) and did a double take
+++

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on July 22, 2024, 06:57:58 PM
Britain now has the most repressive union laws outside of a police state.
Are you expecting the red party to repeal these?
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on July 22, 2024, 05:19:26 PM
Depends on your real world. It is topic of conversation on most other forums I use.
I said the real world, not the virtual world.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Nothing there to support your accusation that Britain now has the most repressive union laws outside of a police state.

Anything else..?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 22, 2024, 07:03:58 PM
Doubtful — unless you've a truthful link, of course...
UK trade union law breaches workers' rights, Supreme Court rules | Reuters

Trade unions: Members and relations with the government - House of Lords Library (parliament.uk)

More At link:-

Where does the Strikes Bill put the UK relative to other European countries? - UK in a changing Europe (ukandeu.ac.uk)

Right to strike: the UK is not in line with Europe

In contrast to the UK, the majority (86%) of European countries protect the 'right to strike', either explicitly as a constitutional right (69%), or as interpreted by courts as an aspect of the right to freedom of association and right to peaceful assembly (17%). This has influenced how states view minimum service levels: for example, the Spanish Constitutional Court has held that because the right to strike is a fundamental right under the Spanish Constitution the scope of the minimum services must be interpreted restrictively.

The UK is only one of five countries (or 14%) where there no specific right to strike in national constitutional law.

However, all countries examined are members of the Council of Europe, and so signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights. The 
case law of the European Court of Human Rights demonstrates that Article 11 ECHR can entail protection of the right to strike. This right is not absolute and can be restricted by law. Restrictions may be imposed on the right to strike of workers providing essential services to the population, but the state must justify its necessity.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 22, 2024, 06:57:58 PM
Doubtful — unless you've a truthful link, of course...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 22, 2024, 06:44:13 PM
Labour saw the sense of Thatcher's curbing of union power — it meant it could benefit from a more civilised industrial scenario without direct confrontation with the likes of Scargill.

Newer union bosses are now in place. Their power, like the 'good old days' also likely to be supported from elsewhere than working people in the UK...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 22, 2024, 03:59:05 PM
When Labour were last in power they did precisely eff all to help the unions. Thatcher's nasty anti-union rules were not repealed. Personally although I was in a union within days of starting work back in 1965, I never paid the political levy. I opted out when I joined.
Labour saw the sense of Thatcher's curbing of union power — it meant it could benefit from a more civilised industrial scenario without direct confrontation with the likes of Scargill. 

Newer union bosses are now in place. Their power, like the 'good old days' also likely to be supported from elsewhere than working people in the UK...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 22, 2024, 04:45:24 PMI find people avoiding discussing politics in the real world since Labour got in.
Depends on your real world. It is topic of conversation on most other forums I use. 

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on July 21, 2024, 09:11:50 PM
Ok so we have what is loosely called a bright shiny left centre Government carefully installed in Westminster. They are mostly backed by a left leaning back office of Civil Servants who have actually forgotten who they work for and have done now for some years. Each public Institution from education through medicine to public services has mostly left leaning leaders (thank you so much Tony Blair) and various virtuous voices in London are promising bounty for all taken from anyone daft enough to accrue any worth.

I just wonder how long this honeymoon of our leftie luvvies will last until folk realise that they have been sold a pup, and when they wake up what will the action be? We have had riots in the street over a war that isn't really anything to do with us. We have had workers taking to the pavement while their 'clients' suffer and trains at a standstill not letting the rest get anywhere near a workplace. Will the Starmer naive insanity cause sufficient concern for reprisals in the streets? Were panic alarms issued on the realisation that panic isn't far away? Or will there be a deathly hush while those able leave the country and it won't be Megsit or Brexit but simply EXIT using the already stored small boats and the last one just turn the lights off?

Written with a bit of a tongue in cheek but goodness me I'm already sick of them.
I was reading Liam Halligan in the Telegraph and I respect his opinion.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/21/end-in-sight-sir-keir-starmer-honeymoon-period/

I don't think that Starmer is a lucky general. I think he is doomed to an accelerating failure as he realises that his team are not up to the job, any more than the Tories were. He has very few people in his cabinet with "statesman" (or woman) like qualities.

QuoteThe new Prime Minister's luck continued last week, as he hosted the European Community Summit at a sun-drenched Blenheim Palace – Churchill's birthplace, no less. Broadcasters feasting on free ice cream overwhelmingly concluded the summit went well, as "Starmer reset our relations with Europe".

Few found space in their bulletins to report the fact this first UK-based post-Brexit summit with European Union leaders was instigated by Rishi Sunak – with Starmer getting credit for his predecessor's efforts to maintain good cross-Channel relations.

The BBC and other MSM are gushing over Labour like infatuated teenagers, IMO and it is unhealthy to see.

As SW says, there's no honeymoon as there was no wedding. I find people avoiding discussing politics in the real world since Labour got in. Does anyone else feel that there is no confidence in any politicians any more?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 22, 2024, 03:53:55 PM

As always, Labour's problem now it is in power, will likely be the unions as they try to win OTT awards 
When Labour were last in power they did precisely eff all to help the unions. Thatcher's nasty anti-union rules were not repealed. Personally although I was in a union within days of starting work back in 1965, I never paid the political levy. I opted out when I joined.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 22, 2024, 07:37:06 AM
The Tories crashed the bus taking 14 years to do it. Whether Labour can repair the bus is yet to be seen.
As I read it, the Tory Party Bus has been steering towards self-destruction ever since John Major recognised the "bastards" forming groups of sceptics during his premiership, and it's these who have now almost destroyed traditional Conservatism in the Tory Party

None of the five prime ministers put up in the 14 years since 2010 have dealt with — or managed to cohabit with — the four, five, or six different factions destroying the party from within. Whereas, Starmer has had to be ruthless in neutralising and/or ridding Labour of its dissidents.

As always, Labour's problem now it is in power, will likely be the unions as they try to win OTT awards — Just Stop Oil's attempts at disruption will likely seem like child's play once Unison, Unite, RMT, etc, begin their demands...