Olympic Horror

Started by T00ts, July 26, 2024, 09:17:00 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 30, 2024, 10:30:23 AM
History is written by the victors . As serial losers the French had to find a way to approach it without making themselves look like complete tossers .Philosophy gives them an excuse for their incompetence .

As far as history goes doctored Germanic/old English folklore is nearer the truth than that of Pagan Gods of Greece . Much of which was basically the retelling of stories that were enhanced with every telling
Bit like Shakespeare, then — except how Germanic/old English folklore can be thought nearer any truth is reasoning that escapes me. Any examples...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Nick on July 30, 2024, 12:43:25 PM
And 2 African nations (Gabon and Togo) deserted France and joined the Commonwealth a couple of years ago.
They might have been the second largest but they are minute in comparison. French external colonies have a population of less than 3 million, the Commonwealth is 2.5 billion, France isn't in the same league.
Why say Gabon and Togo have deserted France?

The Commonwealth has formally been an association of independent nations since 1949**. It has no lead nation. Whether or not these member nations have associations with other nations and bodies is up to them. In fact, among the 88 members of la Francophonie, 12 — including Canada — are also full members of the Commonwealth.

At one time, the UK was considering whether to propose Scandinavian and other European countries as members. France itself also once proposed joining The Commonwealth...

** https://thecommonwealth.org/
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 30, 2024, 10:34:14 AM
How do you work that out. France had about 80 colonies throughout its history, the second most colonies in the world behind only the British Empire. Around 40 countries gained independence from France throughout its history, the second most in the world behind only the British Empire.
And 2 African nations (Gabon and Togo) deserted France and joined the Commonwealth a couple of years ago.
They might have been the second largest but they are minute in comparison. French external colonies have a population of less than 3 million, the Commonwealth is 2.5 billion, France isn't in the same league.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 30, 2024, 10:30:23 AM
 As serial losers the French 
How do you work that out. France had about 80 colonies throughout its history, the second most colonies in the world behind only the British Empire. Around 40 countries gained independence from France throughout its history, the second most in the world behind only the British Empire.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on July 29, 2024, 01:34:28 PM
You have to remember that education in France is far broader than pupils receive here. For example, I've not encountered any other infant and junior education system that includes philosophy in the curriculum.

You mustn't expect posters on here, who are steeped in Right-wing reactionary rhetoric from client media, to be interested in much more history than doctored Germanic/Old English folklore...
History is written by the victors . As serial losers the French had to find a way to approach it without making themselves look like complete tossers .Philosophy gives them an excuse for their incompetence .

As far as history goes doctored Germanic/old English folklore is nearer the truth than that of Pagan Gods of Greece . Much of which was basically the retelling of stories that were enhanced with every telling 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 29, 2024, 01:34:28 PM
You have to remember that education in France is far broader than pupils receive here. For example, I've not encountered any other infant and junior education system that includes philosophy in the curriculum.

You mustn't expect posters on here, who are steeped in Right-wing reactionary rhetoric from client media, to be interested in much more history than doctored Germanic/Old English folklore...
Basically the general public in Britain is thick when compared to France.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 28, 2024, 06:46:00 PM
FFS It was  Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and ecstasy.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 29, 2024, 12:21:37 PM
T00Ts has been on this forum for years, also as MOD. The fact you don't know is proof that you don't take in other peoples contributions.
Nick I am on a large number of forums. I can't be expected to know or to remember the sex of several thousand people when there is no picture of them when they make a contribution. I someone does not like the use of very widely used acronyms like FFS it is they who have a problem not me.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 29, 2024, 09:05:39 AM
How am I supposed to know the sex of  contributor. (Most of the women I know swear far more than I do.) Plus FFS is widely used on social forums or is this forum now going woke.)
T00Ts has been on this forum for years, also as MOD. The fact you don't know is proof that you don't take in other peoples contributions.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 28, 2024, 09:25:41 PM
ADMIN

Please don't respond to female members like that in future, it is so unnecessary.
How am I supposed to know the sex of  contributor. (Most of the women I know swear far more than I do.) Plus FFS is widely used on social forums or is this forum now going woke.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 28, 2024, 06:46:00 PM
FFS It was  Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and ecstasy.
ADMIN

Please don't respond to female members like that in future, it is so unnecessary. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on July 27, 2024, 12:09:56 PM
Did you notice the golden calf, the vilifying of the last supper, the woman with a severed head, and the silver horse of the apocalypse?
None of those things were an improvement, were they?

Any pictures of Mohammed? Thought not.
The tried and tested version of having a few dancers followed by the squads entering the Olympic stadium was lost with the frogs version of lets get soaked on the river . I wasn't paying enough attention to this farce to realise what 'message' they were supposed to be trying to get across and didn't clock any religious inference until Joan of Arc  entered the proceedings when I briefly looked up from the book I was reading about how to cure the  shanks . 
But I get the direction of travel even though I missed it , diversity ,inclusion and multi culturalism should be promoted at every opportunity even at the expense of our own . Or in this case the Frenches .And though  that's been the Olympic message for ever it was meant as a ceasefire ,a brief halt to hostilities while the games took place not as a surrender to the enemy , but then again the French do have some form on that score .

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on July 27, 2024, 01:24:48 PM
The blue painted smurf - if that's what it was - was my cut off point. 
FFS It was  Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and ecstasy.

patman post

To be honest, I left the pub with the intention of watching the opening ceremony. But got home and saw that BBC4 was showing some Louis Armstrong concerts and continued with other jazz greats over the entire evening. That was me hooked.

I've since seen clips of boats ferrying drenched competitors up (or down?) the Seine, so I may not bother to search it out...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 27, 2024, 12:09:56 PM
Did you notice the golden calf, the vilifying of the last supper, the woman with a severed head, and the silver horse of the apocalypse?
None of those things were an improvement, were they?

Any pictures of Mohammed? Thought not.
Fortunately that must all have happened when I had turned it off. The blue painted smurf - if that's what it was - was my cut off point. Considering that France is supposed to be a cultured Christian Catholic country it might be interesting to hear the Pope's view of it all. I am relieved that I didn't see all of it although I would have liked to see Celine singing - poor girl, but as a 'celebration' of the French it was a complete travesty. As you say no references to Mohamed - they didn't dare. The parts I saw were a shambles, under-rehearsed, badly constructed and lacking any sort of artistry worthy of world presentation that's without even thinking about the insult. They need to be ashamed of themselves. I think it was the BBC that was 'overwhelmed by the fantastic performances'. I suspect it suited the BBC down to the ground.