Start Knitting!

Started by T00ts, July 29, 2024, 05:15:05 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 29, 2024, 09:14:12 PM
The economy is going to be geared to screwing over those that are successful, who already pay the vast majority into the coffers.
The problem is the vast amount of tax being "evaded," and avoided on an industrial scale. I knew the Tories would do nothing about that. It remains to be seen is Labour does anything.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 29, 2024, 08:27:40 PM

Now the Tories are out the way, the economy can be geared to earners rather than elderly voters...
It does however look until proven otherwise Labour are going to let the DWP carry on killing people.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on July 29, 2024, 08:27:40 PM
Seems a fair cut — anyone really in need will still get the WFP, many who got it didn't need it. Cutting payment to those not on extra benefits is less expensive than means testing.

Now the Tories are out the way, the economy can be geared to earners rather than elderly voters...
The economy is going to be geared to screwing over those that are successful, who already pay the vast majority into the coffers. They won't get any more revenue in as people and businesses will just leave the country. Soon as our last one leaves the nest I will be gone myself.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Seems a fair cut — anyone really in need will still get the WFP, many who got it didn't need it. Cutting payment to those not on extra benefits is less expensive than means testing.

Now the Tories are out the way, the economy can be geared to earners rather than elderly voters...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 29, 2024, 08:02:41 PM

My wife is a bit miffed, as she is a WASPI who lost 6 years pension at about £8,000 a year, now she qualifies for the WFP they're scrapping it!

Where's Borchester - he liked to call it the coal allowance. :)
My wife lost a similar amount plus due to fiscal drag we have lost £500 each in Income tax off of our private pensions.

Barry

Well, it was nice while it lasted. Last year I used the money towards new windows, which certainly made the place warmer for the winter.
T00ts, I think you might be laying it on a bit thick. Like the woolly jumpers we'll be wearing.
We got £500 between us last year, this year we'll have to make do without. Although we won't miss it too badly, I'm sure there are those that will.
My wife is a bit miffed, as she is a WASPI who lost 6 years pension at about £8,000 a year, now she qualifies for the WFP they're scrapping it!

Where's Borchester - he liked to call it the coal allowance. :)
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on July 29, 2024, 05:15:05 PM
Well this is a great start. Up to £600 Fuel allowance to be withdrawn from pensioners, 
Not all pensioners.  Winter Fuel Payments are to be restricted to those on benefits and Pension Credit.

T00ts

Well this is a great start. Up to £600 Fuel allowance to be withdrawn from pensioners, yet arrive illegally on a rubber boat and be given everything you could possibly need. 

I guess they trust that they won't have sufficient strength to take to the streets. I wonder how many sons and daughters will try to keep their parents warm? My daughters have already offered. Perhaps we should start knitting now for the extra layers we will need, or perhaps the Gov hopes that with global warming this heatwave will last til Spring 2025. There will be those who will panic and simply not turn their heating on and die in the attempt to save money.