They didn't stop the boats.

Started by T00ts, August 04, 2024, 05:07:01 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

The point being that legal immigration numbers have shot up since 2020 (aside from a dip during covid) and mostly from countries whom have always needed visas.

Asylum claims have been relatively flat in comparison. 

Now you can make the argument that the extra population due to net migration has put extra pressure on public services and infrastructure. 

However that does neglect the fact that the biggest reason for a visa is work, and the biggest type of work is helthcare.

School wise, yes it does mean more children to educate but pupil numbers are falling anyway. Schools are going to close because of low pupil numbers. 

The housing issue is more down to decades of failed housing policy. We haven't built enough homes, and in particular not enough social housing. Ironically, one of the things currently holding building back is lack of skilled labour - as a good chunk pissed off back to where they came from as requested. 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 05, 2024, 01:06:24 PM
Thats why I said nobody has been arrested to date ,though maybe I should have been more specific and said Charged to date . Being released on Police bail means no decision has been made to charge them and as far as Im aware that 'released on police bail' means they are  un-arrested .
"Released on police bail" does not mean "un-arrested"

Huw Edwards was arrested and released on police bail. 

I fact, because being reksed on police bail imposes restrictions on the police, being released on Police bail is much more likely to be a prelude to being charged than simply being released. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 05, 2024, 03:37:31 PM
Immigration is irrelevant, it's about net migration, and Ukraine / Hong Kong are 25% of that. And only in the last 3 years.
Nick you must be the only person in Great Britain is not very worried about the scale of legal immigration during the Tories time in office. The diversion tactics about the few thousand a year "boat people," fools no-one except it appears you. The current levels of legal migration are just unsustainable. The strain on housing and infrastructure and the resultant social unrest will have to be addressed and urgently.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 05, 2024, 03:18:16 PM
Nick none of that accounts for the millions let into the country legally on the Tory watch.

Migration-statistics-over-time | Migration Watch UK
Immigration is irrelevant, it's about net migration, and Ukraine / Hong Kong are 25% of that. And only in the last 3 years. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 05, 2024, 03:11:44 PM
And true to form you employ your usual slippery tactics to try and put a point forward.
Missing off an additional 136,000 Hong Kong born immigrants that came here. Also your Ukrainian figure is well out of date, the figure in around 212,000 now.
Added together that makes up around 25% of the net migration under the Tories, so no it's not insignificant.
Nick none of that accounts for the millions let into the country legally on the Tory watch.

Migration-statistics-over-time | Migration Watch UK

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 05, 2024, 02:24:38 PM
That goes nowhere near to explaining the many millions let in since 2010. Around 174000 Ukrainians, 144000 from Hong Kong.
And true to form you employ your usual slippery tactics to try and put a point forward.
Missing off an additional 136,000 Hong Kong born immigrants that came here. Also your Ukrainian figure is well out of date, the figure in around 212,000 now. 
Added together that makes up around 25% of the net migration under the Tories, so no it's not insignificant. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on August 05, 2024, 02:21:05 PM
It appears that unlike you, I class the current racism and violence in Europe and the UK as actions that are encouraged by the Far Right, whether in person, over social media, or in political meetings.

Unfortunately, dog-whistle politics allows party activists to dress accusations and allegations as questions.

I can see that a mass of seemingly "concerned" citizens can be manipulated, and urged to hurl abuse and engage in violence. But that doesn't mean they're innocent bystanders.

Labour has been in power for one month and Starmer is taking action...
Well thats up to labour .If they don't address the problems people will join the front line of the protest . They are not being manipulated they are saying they have had enough. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 05, 2024, 02:04:15 PM
You've been told at least 10 times that the huge influx was Ukraine and Hong Kong people who were GENUINELY fleeing persecution and that it was a one off.
That goes nowhere near to explaining the many millions let in since 2010. Around 174000 Ukrainians, 144000 from Hong Kong. 

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 05, 2024, 01:50:58 PM
Yes like calling everyone at the protest the  'far right' as if they are all Nazi sympathisers . It works both ways and maybe it's the government that needs to set the standard ..
Until Starmer and his party realise and admit to the problems that need addressing and accept people have real concerns people will just continue to be angry which gives a vehicle for the thugs that nobody wants to see .
It appears that unlike you, I class the current racism and violence in Europe and the UK as actions that are encouraged by the Far Right, whether in person, over social media, or in political meetings.

Unfortunately, dog-whistle politics allows party activists to dress accusations and allegations as questions.

I can see that a mass of seemingly "concerned" citizens can be manipulated, and urged to hurl abuse and engage in violence. But that doesn't mean they're innocent bystanders.

Labour has been in power for one month and Starmer is taking action...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 05, 2024, 01:07:14 PM
Amy fire built upon outright lies peddled by hatemongers is something that needs to be crushed and the rioters dealt with by the full weight of the law. I will waste no time sympathising with them.

They didn't even have enough sense to wait until an actual muslim or asylum seeker did something before rioting against them. The spark that lit the fire was racist bigotry built upon lies.
They are that stupid that they were trying to get to the mosque in Southport and went down one of the streets where Muslims live. Also people who are actually from Southport like the bloke who got hit on the head by a brick are the usual thugs. One who is due in court for the riots is back in court in September on domestic violence charges for beating the snot out of a friend of ours. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 05, 2024, 01:00:42 PM
Nick you can't retain information at all if you don't know it in the first place. (I suggest you start following current affairs  for once in you life.
You've been told at least 10 times that the huge influx was Ukraine and Hong Kong people who were GENUINELY fleeing persecution and that it was a one off. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on August 05, 2024, 01:34:26 PM
But correct wording is important if what's said inflames the situation. Those on police bail have not been "un-arrested" and there may be charges — that's what the continuing investigations should help clarify.

And your statement about the Police claiming "one of them up on charges" is untrue.

Perhaps the Careless Talk Costs Lives wartime advice should now — in this age of uncontrolled social media — be Sloppy Wording Helps Agitators...
Yes like calling everyone at the protest the  'far right' as if they are all Nazi sympathisers . It works both ways and maybe it's the government that needs to set the standard ..
Until Starmer and his party realise and admit to the problems that need addressing and accept people have real concerns people will just continue to be angry which gives a vehicle for the thugs that nobody wants to see .

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 05, 2024, 01:34:26 PM

Perhaps the Careless Talk Costs Lives wartime advice should now — in this age of uncontrolled social media — be Sloppy Wording Helps Agitators...
Quite, the lies and propaganda on social media has reached the criminal.   Despite the lies and propaganda that Kier Starmer had gone on holiday he chaired a COBRA meeting this morning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on August 05, 2024, 01:07:14 PM
Amy fire built upon outright lies peddled by hatemongers is something that needs to be crushed and the rioters dealt with by the full weight of the law. I will waste no time sympathising with them.

They didn't even have enough sense to wait until an actual muslim or asylum seeker did something before rioting against them. The spark that lit the fire was racist bigotry built upon lies.
For the majority it wasn't the rumour and lies it was the facts that have been chipping away at society's  decline for many years . Like you I have no time for the moronic thugs 
Quote from: srb7677 on August 05, 2024, 01:13:38 PM
It means that like everyone else who is suspected of having committed a crime - charged or not - they are innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of the law.

There is however a functional reason why they might not be charged just yet. The police might want to question them further in the light of new evidence. Once a suspect has been charged with a crime the police are not allowed to question that person further on the crime he has been charged with. They can continue to look for evidence but they cannot question him further. Which is why releasing suspects on bail is often the preferred option initially. It is highly likely that some of those released on bail will be charged later after further questioning in the light of more evidence.
Indeed thats how I thought it worked . But you can see yet again this morning why some people feel aggrieved with the arrest and charges brought against some people present at the weekends disturbances . Two days and arrest  for white thugs  ,two weeks and nothing for violent ethnics .

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 05, 2024, 01:06:24 PM
Thats why I said nobody has been arrested to date ,though maybe I should have been more specific and said Charged to date . Being released on Police bail means no decision has been made to charge them and as far as Im aware that 'released on police bail' means they are  un-arrested .
But correct wording is important if what's said inflames the situation. Those on police bail have not been "un-arrested" and there may be charges — that's what the continuing investigations should help clarify.

And your statement about the Police claiming "one of them up on charges" is untrue.

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...