They didn't stop the boats.

Started by T00ts, August 04, 2024, 05:07:01 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 07, 2024, 09:15:07 AM
You don't recognise standard pub grub as food therefore you must be eating some form of gruel. You can get equally good food in the U.K. 
Nick I have to wonder if you have been into a standard pub recently. (Most of them seem to have the same crap menu.) There is a VERY poor choice of food, at very high prices. There is very little or nothing on pub menus for the last few years that I can or want to eat.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 07, 2024, 08:43:17 AM
Nick frankly you do spout some bollocks and lies about me. I have never eaten gruel in my life. When on holiday in Brittany I can get wide range of excellent food at reasonable prices. Something I cannot do in Britain.
You don't recognise standard pub grub as food therefore you must be eating some form of gruel. You can get equally good food in the U.K.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 07, 2024, 02:09:22 AM
Where will you go? You can't go to France and seeing as you only eat Gruel you'll be dead in a fortnight through malnutrition.
Nick frankly you do spout some bollocks and lies about me. I have never eaten gruel in my life. When on holiday in Brittany I can get wide range of excellent food at reasonable prices. Something I cannot do in Britain.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 06, 2024, 06:45:38 PM
Frankly I am getting more and more tempted to do just that.
Where will you go? You can't go to France and seeing as you only eat Gruel you'll be dead in a fortnight through malnutrition. 

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 06, 2024, 02:06:34 PM
But rules are only useful if they can be enforced and can achieve their objectives. I suggest, entry to the UK via its official entry points, is as strict as  those for the EU — it's the inability to stop unofficial entries that appear to be triggering the most concern in the EU and UK and elsewhere.

Perhaps, for single countries or blocs, the most likely deterrent to all immigration would be to become as unappealing and dangerous as Myanmar, North Korea, or Russia...

PS — and don't forget it's the UK itself that's imposed rules like insisting that UK vehicles must carry a UK identifier while abroad, as GB is no longer valid.
How does the U.K. insist what happens when U.K. vehicles are abroad? 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 06, 2024, 01:25:57 PM
I have read and watched the reported from those and several others. I have seen nothing like that mentioned, which is why I asked.
That's your problem. 

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on August 06, 2024, 06:45:38 PM
And where would you go?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 06, 2024, 06:42:17 PM
No they are refugees as long as they are outside their country of origin.

What, you mean for the rest of their life?  If that's your simplistic definition, then it must be.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 06, 2024, 06:42:17 PM

If you had to flee the UK .

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Scott777 on August 06, 2024, 03:24:19 PM
That's true, but once they arrive in that first country, they are no longer refugees.
No they are refugees as long as they are outside their country of origin.

If you had to flee the UK you wouldn't cease to be a refugee the moment you feet touched French soil.

The argument "they should stay in the first country they arrive at" is basically born from the fact that the UK is rarely the first country refugees arrive at.

It would be vastly simpler if they could claim asylum from the first country they arrived at via the UK embassy and consulate network. It woukd be a massive win for the UK. Cheaper, safer and more humane.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 06, 2024, 11:14:00 AM
There are loads of problems, that are not obvious, when sitting at the key board of your computer. I suggest you try turning them back for real.
Given the chance I'll show you how its done ;) but yes we are all keyboard warriors .I'll remind you of it next time you get out of your pram 

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 06, 2024, 03:44:41 PM
From November this year it is being made a lot more difficult to leave  Britain.
How so? The only difference I can see is that the UK having left the EU, UK travellers to the EU — like other non-EU travellers who don't require visas — will need a three-year 7€ ETIAS authorisation from 2025...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 05, 2024, 11:07:09 PM
Again, there is no obligation for refugees to seek asylum in the first country they arrived in.

(snipped)
This is where the UN and UK differ — 

Travel through a safe country can void a UK asylum claim ('third country inadmissibility'). The UK Government's position is that refugees should claim asylum in the first safe country they reach.

The UN Refugee Agency says this is not required by the Refugee Convention or international law.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-9724/CBP-9724.pdf
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 06, 2024, 02:06:34 PM
But rules are only useful if they can be enforced and can achieve their objectives. I suggest, entry to the UK via its official entry points, is as strict as  those for the EU — it's the inability to stop unofficial entries that appear to be triggering the most concern in the EU and UK and elsewhere.

Perhaps, for single countries or blocs, the most likely deterrent to all immigration would be to become as unappealing and dangerous as Myanmar, North Korea, or Russia...

PS — and don't forget it's the UK itself that's imposed rules like insisting that UK vehicles must carry a UK identifier while abroad, as GB is no longer valid.
From November this year it is being made a lot more difficult to leave  Britain.

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 05, 2024, 11:07:09 PM
Again, there is no obligation for refugees to seek asylum in the first country they arrived in.

That's true, but once they arrive in that first country, they are no longer refugees.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.