The Public Sector will bankrupt us!

Started by T00ts, August 06, 2024, 09:04:40 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on August 07, 2024, 07:28:31 PM
That is nonsense so far. They have not robbed any poor as yet. 
Give it time.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on August 07, 2024, 06:42:06 PM
If you want to attack her post like that, you should be more specific and say what exactly is wrong with it, Ducky.
In my case, I don't see much wrong with it. Rachel Reeves seems to be robbing the poor to make people rich. I expect the free bus passes will be taken off pensioners next.
That is nonsense so far. They have not robbed any poor as yet. They have given much needed pay rises to public sector workers, most of whom are anything but rich and have suffered 14 years of declining real terms pay. And partly paid for it by cutting handouts to better off pensioners who clearly dont need them. A measure from which the poorer ones who need the money were protected. None of this constitutes robbing the poor to make people rich. 

New people are in charge. We are no longer an elected gerontocracy anymore. But a nation led by a government who appears to want to reward productive and essential workers over non-productive elements, by ceasing to give the latter taxpayers money if they dont need it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 06, 2024, 09:04:40 PM
Today I understand that the cuts in Public Spending squandered on the backroom boys in Whitehall have been  cancelled. There will be no reductions in Civil Servants while the Unions all seem to be gearing up for large increases presumably at the expense of the taxpayer. Gold plated pensions will continue, there will be monumental numbers of police, doctors, dentists, teachers and various quangos all going on the public payroll assuming they can train/find suitably qualified people while rising taxes deter those generating income to bother investing in anything. Labour have only been in power a month! What a shower!
The public sector is on it's knees due to your lot and crying out for further investment. Nothing works anymore and this would only be made worse by further staffing cuts, so they had to be cancelled. And public sector pay has fallen dramatically in real terms to the point where we have serious recruitment and retention problems. The money needs to be found to address both these issues. And it can best be found my ceasing handouts to those who dont need them, and reducing the welfare bill for others by higher pay and lower rents, also by boosting growth by getting Britain building again. Labour is doing what has to be done and I applaud them for it. If the better off have to pay a little more well someone has to, and it makes a nice change for it not being the poorest as usual. And if the increased burdens are imposed sensibly - eg on immoveable assets in the form pf property and land rather than incomes, they can actually boost growth by cooling down an overheated property and land sector. Right now it is more lucrative to invest in land and buildings, increasing housing costs for everyone else, than to invest in businesses. That needs to change. And dividend income as well as CGT needs to be equalised with income tax rates. If Labour came up with some sort of wealth tax I would broadly approve depending upon the detail. We could not go on as we have been doing these past 14 years. Your lot have almost bankrupted us, for the enrichment of a few at the expense of the many. We need an economy that works for the workers again, rather than the owners. I am finding the new government so far a refreshing change.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on August 06, 2024, 09:32:55 PM
I know misinformation is all the rage these days but you'll have to try bit harder than that!!
If you want to attack her post like that, you should be more specific and say what exactly is wrong with it, Ducky.
In my case, I don't see much wrong with it. Rachel Reeves seems to be robbing the poor to make people rich. I expect the free bus passes will be taken off pensioners next.
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

Quote from: T00ts on August 06, 2024, 09:04:40 PM
Today I understand that the cuts in Public Spending squandered on the backroom boys in Whitehall have been  cancelled. There will be no reductions in Civil Servants while the Unions all seem to be gearing up for large increases presumably at the expense of the taxpayer. Gold plated pensions will continue, there will be monumental numbers of police, doctors, dentists, teachers and various quangos all going on the public payroll assuming they can train/find suitably qualified people while rising taxes deter those generating income to bother investing in anything. Labour have only been in power a month! What a shower!
I know misinformation is all the rage these days but you'll have to try bit harder than that!!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Today I understand that the cuts in Public Spending squandered on the backroom boys in Whitehall have been  cancelled. There will be no reductions in Civil Servants while the Unions all seem to be gearing up for large increases presumably at the expense of the taxpayer. Gold plated pensions will continue, there will be monumental numbers of police, doctors, dentists, teachers and various quangos all going on the public payroll assuming they can train/find suitably qualified people while rising taxes deter those generating income to bother investing in anything. Labour have only been in power a month! What a shower!