Main Menu

Heavy handed?

Started by T00ts, August 09, 2024, 06:03:10 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 12, 2024, 09:10:48 PM
Thank you Toots for raising this topic.

It's pretty obvious there were many peaceful protesters looking to make a point and even fundraising to help the victims' families, but because a few kids hijacked events and smashed cars and houses - which is absolutely indefensible and should have been stopped by police (again, where were they?) - they are now tarnishing ALL protesters with the same brush. This video highlights exactly what I mean.

(snipped vid)

It's obvious most who support the protests are 100% against the kids smashing things, but as one woman says, if we try to stop them they will turn on us. Are they supposed to have physical fights with little kids and get done for assaulting a kid..? Where were the riot police when kids smashed up cars? They were down the road kettling people trying to escape the violence and madness

And that says it all - yes riots can't be defended, yes far-right thugs turned up to cause damage - no most of the protesters weren't like that and were peaceful - exercising their right to free speech while the govt locks up anyone it doesn't like and now hilariously, a police chief threatens to extradite Americans

The Americans over here are laughing at our country, they think it's a complete joke and I can't blame them. It's become a complete police state - it's like North Korea or something.

What an absolute joke Starmer's govt has proven to be

I haven't bothered reading many other posts on the forum because honestly most of them are dumb lefty spam, or right wingers going along with the police state nonsense which is disappointing.
Bit of a mixed up post there. First, you say: "should have been stopped by police (again, where were they?)".

Then you say: "It's become a complete police state - it's like North Korea or something".

Which is it?

Most of the protesters weren't peaceful or just exercising their right to free speech. The amount of damage, looting, attacking setting fire to properties, and chanting racial slurs shows this.

Starmer has so far played it right. Those involved in organising violent protests, looting, riots, arson, battling and injuring police are being arrested and tried. Some have already pleaded guilty and been jailed. These quick actions appear to have halted the riots even more surely than the army or water cannon would have done.

As an aside, if Americans are laughing at the UK, they are obviously failing to notice how most of the rest of the world is amused and laughing at the way their weird political and legal systems are unravelling...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 13, 2024, 01:23:47 PM
One of them from Southport is 69 years old and now in prison for 3 years. Smashing up his own town. Lunacy.
Similar in Plymouth. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 13, 2024, 01:16:46 PM
That is just one of many videos. Those ending up in court are predominantly adults. (Some of them are pensioners.)
One of them from Southport is 69 years old and now in prison for 3 years. Smashing up his own town. Lunacy. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 13, 2024, 01:14:25 PM
I am referring to events in the video above

That is just one of many videos. Those ending up in court are predominantly adults. (Some of them are pensioners.)

Borg Refinery

I am referring to events in the video above

If you watched it, you would know what I am talking about specifically

Not all of them were kids at other riots, but most of them looked like kids at that one
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 12, 2024, 09:10:48 PM
 because a few kids hijacked events and smashed cars and houses - 
It appears thus far most of those sentenced are not kids.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on August 09, 2024, 06:03:10 PM
I don't yet have a point of view on this so would be interested to see what others think - but I am aware that it is making me a bit nervous. I get it that there are those who deserve to feel the might of the police/law but the way Starmer stands and delivers his decisions makes me think that a type of police state wouldn't go against his principles. There is something about him and some ministers that is a bit worrying.
Thank you Toots for raising this topic.

It's pretty obvious there were many peaceful protesters looking to make a point and even fundraising to help the victims' families, but because a few kids hijacked events and smashed cars and houses - which is absolutely indefensible and should have been stopped by police (again, where were they?) - they are now tarnishing ALL protesters with the same brush. This video highlights exactly what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdanhEKXsDA

It's obvious most who support the protests are 100% against the kids smashing things, but as one woman says, if we try to stop them they will turn on us. Are they supposed to have physical fights with little kids and get done for assaulting a kid..? Where were the riot police when kids smashed up cars? They were down the road kettling people trying to escape the violence and madness

And that says it all - yes riots can't be defended, yes far-right thugs turned up to cause damage - no most of the protesters weren't like that and were peaceful - exercising their right to free speech while the govt locks up anyone it doesn't like and now hilariously, a police chief threatens to extradite Americans

The Americans over here are laughing at our country, they think it's a complete joke and I can't blame them. It's become a complete police state - it's like North Korea or something.

What an absolute joke Starmer's govt has proven to be

I haven't bothered reading many other posts on the forum because honestly most of them are dumb lefty spam, or right wingers going along with the police state nonsense which is disappointing.

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on August 12, 2024, 06:21:13 PM
Ok, so you agree he is more authoritarian than the Tories, even though you believe it's justified?
No I do not agree he is more authoritarian than the Tories. There is a lot of law enacted by the Tories than needs repealing.

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on August 11, 2024, 04:08:54 PM
Not at all, I agreed with Starmer then and I still do. Frankly anti-vaxxers are danger to society.

Ok, so you agree he is more authoritarian than the Tories, even though you believe it's justified?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on August 11, 2024, 03:52:05 PM
Ok, so you saw the video of Starmer calling for laws to stop "anti-vax" protests because "to hear that" is against the national interest.  I say it's authoritarian.  And then you ask what it's got to do with Starmer.  Are you gaslighting now?
Not at all, I agreed with Starmer then and I still do. Frankly anti-vaxxers are danger to society. 

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on August 11, 2024, 09:49:31 AM
I watched when it first came out.

Ok, so you saw the video of Starmer calling for laws to stop "anti-vax" protests because "to hear that" is against the national interest.  I say it's authoritarian.  And then you ask what it's got to do with Starmer.  Are you gaslighting now?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on August 09, 2024, 06:03:10 PM
I don't yet have a point of view on this so would be interested to see what others think - but I am aware that it is making me a bit nervous. I get it that there are those who deserve to feel the might of the police/law but the way Starmer stands and delivers his decisions makes me think that a type of police state wouldn't go against his principles. There is something about him and some ministers that is a bit worrying.
On re-reading this, it comes across like Farage's 'just asking questions'...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on August 11, 2024, 08:26:04 AM
If you don't bother to watch the video, you may never know.
I watched when it first came out.

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 on August 11, 2024, 08:28:22 AM
Erm, coercion, by way of threatening to sack you.  (Not that it's relevant.  It's not for you to decide what people should protest about.)
And it's not for you to decide what my opinion is. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on August 10, 2024, 06:32:16 PM
Why would you want to protest against vaccinations? Nobody forced you to go to a medical centre and have it. Let's just protest against something you're not forced to have, have a protest against breathing, no one has forced your to do that either.

Erm, coercion, by way of threatening to sack you.  (Not that it's relevant.  It's not for you to decide what people should protest about.)