Scientists Glimpse Something Similar to Graviton Excitations

Started by Borg Refinery, August 13, 2024, 04:04:18 AM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

What the article is saying is that they found something that behaves similarly to gravity, even though they aren't actually graviton particles, that's the most concise explanation I can give 
+++

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 on August 13, 2024, 08:33:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Einstein's Special Relativity describes gravity as a distortion of space-time.  There is no particle, nothing moves or connects, and it is not a force.
Gravity is similar to a child's trampoline, if you put a marble in the middle and then rolled another marble across there would be almost no attraction. If you put a bowling ball in the middle and then sent a marble across the distortion, as you said, would attract the marble in.

We already know what gives gravity its power, it's the Higgs Boson. The best description of it I have heard is: if you have a ping pong ball on a pice of string and lower it into a Goldfish bowl then draw it out you will feel no resistance. Lower it again and then fill the bowl with honey, then pull the ball out with the string. The Higgs Boson is the honey and makes the resistance. What this article is saying I do not know.

Apologies for the mansplaining. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

I'm pretty sure Einstein's Special Relativity describes gravity as a distortion of space-time.  There is no particle, nothing moves or connects, and it is not a force.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 13, 2024, 04:04:18 AM
New Scientist
Gravity is one of the least understood phenomena in science. We know the equations and forces and where they occur, but not really the how?
It's fascinating.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

QuoteGravitons, the particles thought to carry gravity, have never been seen in space – but something very similar has been detected in a semiconductor [..] 
New Scientist
+++