EU budget squabble

Started by T00ts, February 21, 2020, 03:10:11 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17137 time=1582297811 user_id=54
I see that no-one (EU members) seems keen to take a cut in benefits or pay more into the financial pot at the first summit post Brexit. It should get interesting.

Both Luxemborough and Belgium have higher GDPs than the UK but both are net recipients from the EU's budget so you are probably right on that one Toots. The EU may be losing money, but that won't get the wealthier members' snouts out of the trough.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: cromwell post_id=17382 time=1582552906 user_id=48
Funny that Gerry,why do you want to be a superpower?

No answer was the reply.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Hi Gerry,

https://edri.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/europe_superhero.png">
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=17382 time=1582552906 user_id=48

Plastic Paddies whose horizons don't extend beyond the bar of Father Ted's in London's Cricklewood Broadway need a few harmless fantasies to keep them going.

:D  :D
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT post_id=17380 time=1582552455 user_id=61
Lets get some perspective. The 2017 EU budget was 158b euro, this is spent in EU projects in the following areas:

14% is spent on growth and jobs in EU regions

34% on economic, social and territorial cohesion

37% on sustainable growth: natural resources

3% on security & citizenship

6% on Global europe

Then they spend 6% on Administration. That's the bit for running the EU institutions/salaries etc...

Every time the EU sits to agree the budget there are negotiations, nothing new this time round. What will be missing will be the 7.5b stg approx 9b euro UK nett contribution. If everyone puts in the same again then the budget will reduce from 158b to 149b. That's a 5.7% drop in the budget, it's not the end of the world. Either each country pays in a fraction of a percent more or each spending area has a slight trim.

The majority of the EU budget is spent on projects to develop the less well off areas of the EU, these are added bonus projects, a small reduction isn't the end of the world.

The UK payment won't be missed to the extent being made out here, there are far more important areas where the UK will be missed by the EU, such as.

- The damage to the block itself and it's ability to strike deals and stand as a superpower along side USA, China and emerging areas.

- Joint security/communications co-operation, the Johnson govt. signals walls and barriers, it's hard to see these areas working well in the coming years.

- A hard brexit looks more likely and this will damage trade in both the EU and UK.

GerryT

Lets get some perspective. The 2017 EU budget was 158b euro, this is spent in EU projects in the following areas:

14% is spent on growth and jobs in EU regions

34% on economic, social and territorial cohesion

37% on sustainable growth: natural resources

3% on security & citizenship

6% on Global europe

Then they spend 6% on Administration. That's the bit for running the EU institutions/salaries etc...

Every time the EU sits to agree the budget there are negotiations, nothing new this time round. What will be missing will be the 7.5b stg approx 9b euro UK nett contribution. If everyone puts in the same again then the budget will reduce from 158b to 149b. That's a 5.7% drop in the budget, it's not the end of the world. Either each country pays in a fraction of a percent more or each spending area has a slight trim.

The majority of the EU budget is spent on projects to develop the less well off areas of the EU, these are added bonus projects, a small reduction isn't the end of the world.

The UK payment won't be missed to the extent being made out here, there are far more important areas where the UK will be missed by the EU, such as.

- The damage to the block itself and it's ability to strike deals and stand as a superpower along side USA, China and emerging areas.

- Joint security/communications co-operation, the Johnson govt. signals walls and barriers, it's hard to see these areas working well in the coming years.

- A hard brexit looks more likely and this will damage trade in both the EU and UK.

T00ts

Hasn't it occurred to the EU commission that they are the creators of their own problems?

Barry

HQQ, perhaps our friends in the EU need to be asking "Why do we need so much money" or "Pourquoi?" and figure out why the empire cannot properly support itself.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=17333 time=1582532334 user_id=103
If our departure from the EU has caused budget difficulties that lead to tension within the EU, how's that going to affect our negotiations with them?  It's certainly not going to help!  We're familiar with Brexiters continuing to blame the EU for not giving the UK the exact kind of Brexit they demanded (whatever form that took on any particular day!).  Now we might have to get used to the UK being scapegoated by EU countries, from EU commissioners right down to the "man on the Dusseldorf tram" for any woes they suffer.

Well Quackers the eu commissioners will try to screw us whether the budget suffers or not for having the temerity to leave their club,as far as the man on the Düsseldorf tram goes I'm afraid I'd have to say well I'm sorry you're upset but on the pissed off scale at another nations actions this hardly rates against the holocaust does it?  :o I know typical leaver eh! ;)

Hyperduck Quack Quack

If our departure from the EU has caused budget difficulties that lead to tension within the EU, how's that going to affect our negotiations with them?  It's certainly not going to help!  We're familiar with Brexiters continuing to blame the EU for not giving the UK the exact kind of Brexit they demanded (whatever form that took on any particular day!).  Now we might have to get used to the UK being scapegoated by EU countries, from EU commissioners right down to the "man on the Dusseldorf tram" for any woes they suffer.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester post_id=17242 time=1582416492 user_id=62
It is over a two year period Toots. So the UK will expect to pay £6 a head per week or the equivalent of two cups of coffee and the EU will have 60p per citizen, which is zilch.

A small price to pay for freedom

Absofriginlutely

:hattip
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Stevlin

Quote from: Borchester post_id=17242 time=1582416492 user_id=62
It is over a two year period Toots. So the UK will expect to pay £6 a head per week or the equivalent of two cups of coffee and the EU will have 60p per citizen, which is zilch.

Maybe a small weekly amount - but it is still a ridiculous price to have to pay to settle our so-called dues. Even the strongly Remain  camp in the useless HO Lords  considered it to be a mere fraction of that amount.

Borchester

Quote from: Stevlin post_id=17233 time=1582405296 user_id=66
Mmmm - unfortunately, as far as I am concerned at least, they may still able to pocket another £39 billion or so from the UK.....I would have thought that such a sum should enable them to manage without the UK's annual financial support for a while longer!

Algerie Francais !

Stevlin

Mmmm - unfortunately, as far as I am concerned at least, they may still able to pocket another £39 billion or so from the UK.....I would have thought that such a sum should enable them to manage without the UK's annual financial support for a while longer!

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=17183 time=1582366930 user_id=62
There won't be any real changes. As said before, we are arguing about a few pennies in the pound. If the EU were really worried about the UK leaving then it would have made a deal. But it wasn't so it didn't.

I am a Brexiter but I don't have any wish to see the EU go under. If Johnny Foreigner is making telephone numbers then he or she will buy more of whatever we are selling which will be good for both sides.

Oh I do agree that the last thing needed is disruption in Europe. However I thought from comments over there at the end of last year that they were considering some sort of change. Perhaps the current arguments will remind them.