QR code parking scam.

Started by papasmurf, August 15, 2024, 10:35:29 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 15, 2024, 03:46:53 PM
I was at Oare Marshes on the Swale near Faversham bird-watching (feathered) and there was an official looking car parking notice with a QR code.
I ignored it as scanning ANY QR code without knowing what it is can expose you to dangerous websites, malware, ransomware and the like.
Just don't do it.

The next week I read that someone had scanned it and got well and truly stung.
Fortunately I don't have the technology to scan a QR code.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

I was at Oare Marshes on the Swale near Faversham bird-watching (feathered) and there was an official looking car parking notice with a QR code.
I ignored it as scanning ANY QR code without knowing what it is can expose you to dangerous websites, malware, ransomware and the like.
Just don't do it.

The next week I read that someone had scanned it and got well and truly stung.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 15, 2024, 11:37:36 AM
You're about 6 weeks behind, this is old news. You need to keep up with current affairs. In fact first reported a year ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clddyp7y0nko.amp
I know Nick, but today it is news news

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 15, 2024, 10:35:29 AM
Because of increasing cashless payments only. There are more and more places I cannot park. (That and the usurious rise in car parking charges.)

So this article fill me with schadenfreude:-

Be 'QRareful': RAC warns drivers to watch out for parking payment scams | RAC Media Centre

Following a spate of fake QR codes being stuck on payment machines at car parks across the UK, the RAC is advising drivers to be 'very vigilant' and only pay with cash, card or official apps to avoid being scammed.
You're about 6 weeks behind, this is old news. You need to keep up with current affairs. In fact first reported a year ago. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clddyp7y0nko.amp

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Because of increasing cashless payments only. There are more and more places I cannot park. (That and the usurious rise in car parking charges.)

So this article fill me with schadenfreude:-

Be 'QRareful': RAC warns drivers to watch out for parking payment scams | RAC Media Centre

Following a spate of fake QR codes being stuck on payment machines at car parks across the UK, the RAC is advising drivers to be 'very vigilant' and only pay with cash, card or official apps to avoid being scammed.