Impending machete ban.

Started by papasmurf, August 19, 2024, 08:28:11 AM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: cromwell on August 23, 2024, 05:38:31 AM
And crucially said herberts will then switch to agricultural machetes,.
Maybe but they are less likely to cause a fatal injury

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on August 23, 2024, 10:30:14 AM
So you don't mind that white people are over-represented in stop and search in London?  So targeting white people just because of their ethnicity?
I didn't say that.  We know that black people are the ones over represented in stop and search and I assumed that's what you were referring to.

Please show your evidence that white people are over represented in stop and search in London

cromwell

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 23, 2024, 08:16:32 AM
Are judges really so brain damaged they think an agricultural machete isn't an offensive weapon ^ when carried in public by a herbert ^^?

Is there actually any case of a judge letting this one go? And any real need for this seemingly superfluous legislation by the government..?
Ermm it was a sarcastic reply to beeblys assertion 
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 22, 2024, 10:57:55 PM
No

But those wanting to make the over representation even higher, to go persecuting people merely for their ethnicity have got it so so wrong.

So you don't mind that white people are over-represented in stop and search in London?  So targeting white people just because of their ethnicity?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 22, 2024, 09:17:48 PM
Policing had changed massively over the last 30 years. But are you claiming that policing in 2024 has completely eradicated discrimination?. Job done, nothing more to do? Not one single tho g that could be done to improve matters?

There is what they call 2-tier policing, which I think it's better described as policing based on identity politics, or intersectional politics.  For example, in order for a copper to be accepted, or especially to be promoted, they need to show they accept identity politics, by arresting minorities in the correct proportions.  But if a minority group is actually committing more crime, then they need to avoid arresting some of them, to achieve this correct proportion.  This means letting some criminals go, or being extra lenient to that minority.  You could call that discrimination.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on August 23, 2024, 05:38:31 AM
Are judges really so brain damaged they think an agricultural machete isn't an offensive weapon ^ when carried in public by a herbert ^^? 

Is there actually any case of a judge letting this one go? And any real need for this seemingly superfluous legislation by the government..?
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 22, 2024, 09:16:01 PM
I think we're arguing over nothing.

We both agree it's illegal to sell knives To u18's - except. In Scotland if we have to be pedantic.

That point is that it can be illegal for me to carry a thing in public that I legally own.

If the police visit my home and see my shotguns and kitchen knives I have committed no offense.
If I walk I to a pub brandishing those same items - I will or a my have comminted and  offense.

Likewise, right now I can legally own a zombie knife but illegally carry it. Technically I could legally carry it in public if I could convince the police and ultimately a jury that it was for a reasonable use - say I was on my way to post it to a legal buyer.

Shortly I will not even be able to legally posses it even in my home and therfore will  it be able to reasonably carry it in public except maybe if I was on my way to hand it to the police after finding it in the loft.

The same laws apply to teens. AFAIK it is only illegal to sell knives to under 18's not for an u18 to posses one or even carry one on public. An apprentice butcher or chef or even a young Sikh could carry an appropriate knife in appropriate circumstances.

Obviously a 16yo scrote in a tracksuit riding a shitty stolen bike is going to have a much harder time showing the 12" machete stuffed down his joggers was a reasonable thing to carry.

This is all ridiculous

I'd like to know if an actual judge upheld the law and said "you're carrying a zombie machete - that doesn't qualify as an offensive weapon so the charges are bogus and you are acquitted"

If so, the judges must be completely retarded and have serious brain damage, if not, then the govt are just pushing irrelevant claptrap legislation that does nothing and adds nothing that doesn't already exist, as I suspected was the case and most of the laughable arguments in its favour (laced with trolling I add) can be safely ignored
+++

cromwell

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 22, 2024, 03:05:21 PM
Yes age restrictions apply (which I took as read and assumed the discussion was about adults)

The point is it is perfectly legal to buy and own kitchen knives (if you are an adult) - I imagine everyone on this forum owns several.

But it would still be illegal for any of us to carry one at a football match.

The key point (as the link you posted mentions) is carrying almost any knife in public is illegal unless you have a good reason eg work

I struggle to think of anything that is illegal to posses but legal to carry in public.

Currently it woiod be legal for an adult to buy and posses a zombie knife. The police could visit your home and you could be sitting on a throne made of them and it would be fine. You could even have one in public with a good reason. Say it was wrapped and you were taking it to the post office to send to a legal buyer.

But after the 24th it will be illegal to own one at all even if it is in a cupboard in your house.

Crucially - agricultural knives etc are generally not caught by this new definition so things remain as before.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on August 22, 2024, 05:28:42 PM
So what's the problem?  London has a particularly serious problem with knife crime, so I would expect more stop and search.  In London, white people are about 57%, so they are over-represented.  Is that a problem for you?
No

But those wanting to make the over representation even higher, to go persecuting people merely for their ethnicity have got it so so wrong.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Scott777 on August 22, 2024, 05:36:21 PM
Policing has changed massively in 30 years.  So yes, it is absolutely deniable that there is racism against "minorities".
Policing had changed massively over the last 30 years. But are you claiming that policing in 2024 has completely eradicated discrimination?. Job done, nothing more to do? Not one single tho g that could be done to improve matters?

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 22, 2024, 03:13:17 PM
I don't think you understand. Those in gangs who actually use said knives tend to be 18 and under in gangs? Hence the relevance? You falsely stated that people can legally buy knives without qualifying it, I'm not a mind reader. I know that youngins are in gangs so it is very much relevant, why would I be speaking primarily about adults if referring to the zombie machetes often wielded by teen gang members after all??

You seem to have ignored most of that and gone off on a tangent. If you can't wield offensive weapons in public, then zombie machetes and knives should come under that law. I'm not even sure why you brung up "illegal to possess but legal to carry in public".
I think we're arguing over nothing.

We both agree it's illegal to sell knives To u18's - except. In Scotland if we have to be pedantic.

That point is that it can be illegal for me to carry a thing in public that I legally own.

If the police visit my home and see my shotguns and kitchen knives I have committed no offense. 
If I walk I to a pub brandishing those same items - I will or a my have comminted and  offense.

Likewise, right now I can legally own a zombie knife but illegally carry it. Technically I could legally carry it in public if I could convince the police and ultimately a jury that it was for a reasonable use - say I was on my way to post it to a legal buyer. 

Shortly I will not even be able to legally posses it even in my home and therfore will  it be able to reasonably carry it in public except maybe if I was on my way to hand it to the police after finding it in the loft. 

The same laws apply to teens. AFAIK it is only illegal to sell knives to under 18's not for an u18 to posses one or even carry one on public. An apprentice butcher or chef or even a young Sikh could carry an appropriate knife in appropriate circumstances. 

Obviously a 16yo scrote in a tracksuit riding a shitty stolen bike is going to have a much harder time showing the 12" machete stuffed down his joggers was a reasonable thing to carry. 

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 21, 2024, 04:24:45 PM
The fact policing has been historically and even currently racist in it's approach is undeniable. The Steven Lawrence affair is a litteraly case study in racist assumptions in policing. It seems we haven't moved on as far as we should have from those days (acknowledging that some progress has been made)

Policing has changed massively in 30 years.  So yes, it is absolutely deniable that there is racism against "minorities".

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 21, 2024, 09:48:07 AM
But I truly believe our governments since 1974 were trying to do their best for the country albeit with some flawed views of best and the occasional rogue self serving character. 

It's very sad to see such naivety.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 21, 2024, 09:41:15 AM
That most crime is by white people?  That minorities are already disproportionally searched? 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/ethnicity-and-the-criminal-justice-system-2022/statistics-on-ethnicity-and-the-criminal-justice-system-2022-html

So what's the problem?  London has a particularly serious problem with knife crime, so I would expect more stop and search.  In London, white people are about 57%, so they are over-represented.  Is that a problem for you?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 22, 2024, 03:09:33 PM
I don't get where the under 18 but comes from? I don't think anyone here has claimed that under 18's could legally buy knives except pocket knives.

You stated, without qualification, that the public can buy knives legally and I'm saying that's not true for under-18s, what's hard to understand exactly?

It's relevant because these are often teen gang members wielding these knives are they not? We are not mind readers and don't know what you mean unless you explicitly state it 
+++