Freedom of Speech and of Thought Being Destroyed

Started by Scott777, August 20, 2024, 09:12:12 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 09:34:06 PM
And she was apparently rightly not prosecuted.

But the specifics of her case do not prove a general case that silence always means no criminality

Ironically, as equiv pointed out elsewhere, it seems Suella Braverman may have contravened the law to get her a get-out clause, in the end.

While I'm thankful for that, it shows that Public Order Act itself and the Police/Crime/Sentencing acts need to either go or be ultra-significantly reformed to prevent such terrible abuses in the future.

The Tories really do hate freedom of protest unless it's their favoured type of protests, such as this one
+++

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on August 24, 2024, 12:33:46 PM
No one suggested silence means no criminality.  We are discussing an arrest for silently standing while thinking the 'wrong' thing.
See posts 12 , 16 and others

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 23, 2024, 03:22:49 PM
How can that be proven? Maybe she was standing there and praying for the souls of aborted babies?
As keeps being said, she can do that from anywhere. You know and I know why she is there, stop pretending. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 09:34:06 PM

But the specifics of her case do not prove a general case that silence always means no criminality

No one suggested silence means no criminality.  We are discussing an arrest for silently standing while thinking the 'wrong' thing.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

Everyone thinks Israel is an oppressive nation but they have organisations like this:
https://www.beadchaim.com/

They help to save lives of unborn babies by counselling pregnant mothers and helping fund them. I couldn't see that being allowed on the streets of Britain which suggests the authorities want more babies killed.
† The end is nigh †

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on August 23, 2024, 05:37:50 PM
But some people pop into a church just to pray, nothing else.  So maybe she went to the clinic for a 'feeling' of connection with the unborn victims of abortion.  Who are you to tell anyone what they must believe?  She was arrested for silently praying, not for doing anything else.

T00ts

If I look at this simply from a faith point of view a couple things of come to mind - none of which are illegal I think.

Matthew 6:5 Tells us not to be hypocritical by standing on street corners but to retire to somewhere privately and not wear our faith on our sleeve.

We are also told that we should not judge others particularly when we have no idea of the circumstances.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Scott777 on August 23, 2024, 05:41:39 PM
But the police did not arrest her based on what they lipread.

Even if they had arrested her for lip-reading, it really is taking absurd to new heights. Are we going to arrest people for disturbing public order for silently swearing when they stub their toe now? Is that what it's come to?

It's exactly like something out of Monty Python, the best part of course about Python is it was just a reflection of real life and what they saw and heard..
+++

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on August 23, 2024, 02:20:53 PM
People won't go to church with the express intention to intimidate other people, that is exactly what her intention is.

Actually we have not determined what her intention was.  That's the point.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: patman post on August 23, 2024, 12:59:14 PM
I've not noticed any silent protesters standing outside HoP.

What about sitting?  Lots of people sit silently outside the HoP.  Can you describe what silent protest looks like?

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 11:13:27 AM
So if someone clearly mouthed to a vulnerable woman 'I pray for your soul because you are committing an evil sin and will be cursed forever on this earth' then that might be less than good.

But the police did not arrest her based on what they lipread.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 11:07:32 AM
No because people go to a church for a feeling of community, to share common thoughts and to hear religious sermons.  That they tend to also pray at same time is hardly surprising.

But the street outside an abortion clinic subject to a PSPO because of a history of harassment of vulnerable women and staff is not a church.

But some people pop into a church just to pray, nothing else.  So maybe she went to the clinic for a 'feeling' of connection with the unborn victims of abortion.  Who are you to tell anyone what they must believe?  She was arrested for silently praying, not for doing anything else.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on August 23, 2024, 02:20:53 PM
People won't go to church with the express intention to intimidate other people, that is exactly what her intention is.
How can that be proven? Maybe she was standing there and praying for the souls of aborted babies?
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: patman post on August 23, 2024, 12:59:14 PM
1. Depends on context, when, where, and whether it contravenes legal injunctions/restrictions.
2. Depends on context, when, where, and whether it contravenes legal injunctions/restrictions.
3. Has that happened? I've not noticed any silent protesters standing outside HoP.
4. Not against anyone campaigning for what they believe, but if they intentionally break the law to make themselves martyrs, I'm content if the law obliges.
5. Unfortunately, there's a lot of sick people around...

Non-answers and probable trolling, but that's ok, at least you agree those seeking abortions as a ritual are equally as sick. Maybe new laws can be introduced to prevent such sickening abuses.

I don't think any law was broken after all she won the payout did she not?

That would seem to back my point and prove my side of the story is truer as opposed to probable trolling
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 11:05:19 AM
If you do it contrary to a specific PSPO in a way that would harass vulnerable women then yes.  And it should be.

You appear to be saying it's OK to harass vulnerable women as long as you don't hit them or say anything to them. 
That is a lie, because I don't see standing there and "visibly praying" as harassment.

To paraphrase you: You lost get over it (ie she won a payout in the end) so I believe I'm the one proven right here in the end?
+++