Main Menu

Defensive weapons

Started by Barry, August 22, 2024, 04:22:20 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 09:17:15 PM
Some parts of Kent are bad, many parts are very good.  Same variation in areas you see the world over.

But if you let everyone carry lethal weapons as and when they feel like it you will see more and more places more and more violent.  You know like the country you wake up in every day.

So no I'm not in favour of everyone carrying guns, knives or even bricks in a bag but I would like to know what Barry had in mind, hence my question.

PS ear piercing alarms and eye (temporary) blinding torches could be candidates.
So now you take that as a perceived sleight, when I'm just pointing out the facts.

A lot of parts of the USA are completely safe and there's lower crime than in most of England, I never said I wanted everyone carrying weapons I said how do you defend yourself without one if you're in dangerous areas? You have no answer it seems, other than some kind of probable trolling and petulant "ur country sucks" type rubbish

Well done for that, that sadly often is the level on here, very petty stuff..
+++

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 09:19:53 PM
Yes of course that's true in what you see as reality.  Other perceptions are available, much more believable ones.

No, the evidence is there.  During lockdown, they enforced government guidelines, not laws.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on August 23, 2024, 05:30:03 PM
They are also coerced into following orders, rather than upholding the law.  So when the government says you are far-right for criticising them, and need to be bullied, they bully.  And when you defend yourself, they baton you.
Yes of course that's true in what you see as reality.  Other perceptions are available, much more believable ones.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 23, 2024, 05:59:39 PM
Come on Steve, pretty sure you said you are from Kent? I know what Kent is like, lots of violence in many towns there, known a LOT of people from there. How are you meant to survive if from a tough old town when people want to cave your head in? I get it, turn the other cheek, that's what you're meant to do - and call the police, but what about defending loved ones?

I read of an old lady from Holloway who carried a brick in her massive handbag to ward off would-be robbers, guess she had to use it because people would mug her otherwise. I don't think everyone has a choice in the matter depending on where they live and the sad circumstances they're in.

I think what you're saying would be the case in an ideal world, but it's rough in places like Hastings, Holloway, towns in Kent. It's not an easy life if you're from rough old places and people don't just leave you alone if you show weakness. Sad fact of the world.
Some parts of Kent are bad, many parts are very good.  Same variation in areas you see the world over. 

But if you let everyone carry lethal weapons as and when they feel like it you will see more and more places more and more violent.  You know like the country you wake up in every day.

So no I'm not in favour of everyone carrying guns, knives or even bricks in a bag but I would like to know what Barry had in mind, hence my question.

PS ear piercing alarms and eye (temporary) blinding torches could be candidates.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 11:41:47 AM
yes but within limits if they could possibly be defined

The police are trained etc to be responsible with weapons and while there are very occasional failures they generally are so.  Many 'defensive' weapons can easily become offensive or even lethal weapons when someone loses their rag. 

No one is going to ban legitimate purpose keys but that 'brick in a bag' you mention is very much more likely to end up killing someone.  What actual 'defensive' weapons did you have in mind?
Come on Steve, pretty sure you said you are from Kent? I know what Kent is like, lots of violence in many towns there, known a LOT of people from there. How are you meant to survive if from a tough old town when people want to cave your head in? I get it, turn the other cheek, that's what you're meant to do - and call the police, but what about defending loved ones?

I read of an old lady from Holloway who carried a brick in her massive handbag to ward off would-be robbers, guess she had to use it because people would mug her otherwise. I don't think everyone has a choice in the matter depending on where they live and the sad circumstances they're in.

I think what you're saying would be the case in an ideal world, but it's rough in places like Hastings, Holloway, towns in Kent. It's not an easy life if you're from rough old places and people don't just leave you alone if you show weakness. Sad fact of the world.
+++

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 23, 2024, 11:41:47 AM
The police are trained etc to be responsible with weapons and while there are very occasional failures they generally are so.

They are also coerced into following orders, rather than upholding the law.  So when the government says you are far-right for criticising them, and need to be bullied, they bully.  And when you defend yourself, they baton you.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Barry on August 22, 2024, 04:22:20 PM
The police have defensive weapons.
They have batons, asps, they have tasers, pepper spray, and ultimately firearms.

But what about the man or woman in the street?
What are they supposed to do if attacked?

Should people be able to carry pepper spray to use against any attack?
I know a key in the eyeball can be a very good deterrent, as can a brick in a bag.

Should the law abiding members of the public have some recourse to defensive weapons? If not, why not?
yes but within limits if they could possibly be defined

The police are trained etc to be responsible with weapons and while there are very occasional failures they generally are so.  Many 'defensive' weapons can easily become offensive or even lethal weapons when someone loses their rag.  

No one is going to ban legitimate purpose keys but that 'brick in a bag' you mention is very much more likely to end up killing someone.  What actual 'defensive' weapons did you have in mind?

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on August 22, 2024, 07:31:26 PM
Well since you are advancing in years there is no reason you cannot travel with a very stout walking stick should be a very helpful support should you be attacked
True. Cheeky tw*t. :)
† The end is nigh †

Scott777

At the very least, we should be allowed to carry pepper spray.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 22, 2024, 06:37:08 PM
You might not, but I want a baton I can carry to defend myself with. I have an old police truncheon which would be better than nothing.

Is it right that the innocent are defenceless against the criminals with fists or even knives and guns?
Well since you are advancing in years there is no reason you cannot travel with a very stout walking stick should be a very helpful support should you be attacked 
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: Nick on August 22, 2024, 04:53:42 PM
Thin edge of the wedge I think, one step to being like the states, and I'm sure none of us want that?
You might not, but I want a baton I can carry to defend myself with. I have an old police truncheon which would be better than nothing.

Is it right that the innocent are defenceless against the criminals with fists or even knives and guns?
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

The police in England have tasers, but I would be OK with arming more of them particularly in dangerous areas where guns are more necessary.

I think guns should be strictly controlled as they are in Estonia and Swiss, but the public being allowed to own them and use them more liberally than in England would be fine, as long as carefully controlled. An armed citizenry can fight off an invasion in any future scenario much more readily.
+++

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 22, 2024, 04:57:06 PM
Really? Why is that exactly?

Is there out of control gun crime in Estonia and Switzerland where they own plenty of guns?
The Swiss and Estonian police are armed, the later are military police. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on August 22, 2024, 04:53:42 PM
Thin edge of the wedge I think, one step to being like the states, and I'm sure none of us want that?

Really? Why is that exactly?

Is there out of control gun crime in Estonia and Switzerland where they own plenty of guns? 
+++

Nick

Quote from: Barry on August 22, 2024, 04:22:20 PM
The police have defensive weapons.
They have batons, asps, they have tasers, pepper spray, and ultimately firearms.

But what about the man or woman in the street?
What are they supposed to do if attacked?

Should people be able to carry pepper spray to use against any attack?
I know a key in the eyeball can be a very good deterrent, as can a brick in a bag.

Should the law abiding members of the public have some recourse to defensive weapons? If not, why not?
Thin edge of the wedge I think, one step to being like the states, and I'm sure none of us want that?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.