Labour? I'm through!!

Started by T00ts, August 26, 2024, 11:57:21 AM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Oh dear. This definitely isn't going to sit right with a lot of people if true

Starmer refuses to rule out signing away other overseas territories

QuoteSir Keir Starmer has refused to say whether he would rule out giving up the Falklands Islands and Gibraltar after agreeing a deal to hand the Chagos Islands to Mauritius.
Asked to guarantee that no other British overseas territories will be signed away under Labour, the prime minister did not comment.
Instead, he referred to a deal to retain the US airbase on Diego Garcia, the largest island of the archipelago. He said: "The single most important thing was ensuring that we had a secure base, the joint US-UK base, hugely important to the US, hugely important to us.
"We've now secured that and that is why you saw such warm words from the US yesterday."

The Chagos islands were fair enough, but we'll see what he does. That could be a "game ender" for him if he's actually serious about not ruling it out

He shouldn't be condemned and not saying he's bad for this, ust hope he can right the ship and do what people hope of him so he doesn't end up in trouble
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on Today at 09:36:30 AM

They will become even more unpopular with their own, if this 2bn foreign aid budget cut gets passed: Link, there's already a rebellion over it..

I would have thought cutting the foreign aid budget would be popular.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

They will become even more unpopular with their own, if this 2bn foreign aid budget cut gets passed: Link, there's already a rebellion over it..
+++

Borg Refinery

I can see Starmer being a one-term PM and Farage being PM in the not-too-distant future if this trend continues.
+++

Borg Refinery

A different poll from BMG Research concludes similarly: link

QuoteNearly half (48 per cent) of voters said they have a worse opinion of Labour since the party won July's election with a landslide 174-majority, with just a fifth (20 per cent) saying it had improved and a quarter (24 per cent) saying it had not changed.

While the decline in opinion does follow party lines, nearly a third (31 per cent) of those who voted for Labour say their opinion is worse, the BMG Research survey for i suggested.

Meantime, Reform UK are surging in popularity, it's not hard to see why: Link
+++

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 05, 2024, 01:29:24 PMAll I did was post data. That you misinterpreted in is not my problem.
That's a lie 🤥, you said this. 

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 11:46:00 AM2/5ths of the population (200million.) Have used a library in the past year
It's there for all to see.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2024, 09:58:59 AMYou said population not visits, not my fault if you can't write what you mean.

All I did was post data. That you misinterpreted in is not my problem.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 05, 2024, 08:53:43 AMFFS Nick there were 200 million visits to libraries, not by 200 million different people. I sometimes wonder about you I really do.
You said population not visits, not my fault if you can't write what you mean. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2024, 06:53:20 PMI'd love to know how 40% (200 million) of the population goes to libraries when the population of the U.K.  is only 70 million, or is this your strawman coming out to play? Also your data is years out of date and is during Covid. You really couldn't lie straight in bed.

FFS Nick there were 200 million visits to libraries, not by 200 million different people. I sometimes wonder about you I really do.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 11:46:00 AMNick just why do you think that, because I really do want to know why. (Libraries don't just lend out books. They have a wide range of other services these days.) 2/5ths of the population (200million.) Have used a library in the past year More at link:-

Statistics (publiclibrariesnews.com)

I'd love to know how 40% (200 million) of the population goes to libraries when the population of the U.K.  is only 70 million, or is this your strawman coming out to play? Also your data is years out of date and is during Covid. You really couldn't lie straight in bed. 

Borg Refinery

Sunak's government more popular than Labour, poll reveals

Quoteoutgoing boss Rishi Sunak. It now transpires that more people prefer Sunak's government to Sir Keir Starmer's Labour lot, according to polling by More in Common. In yet another blow for Starmer, the survey found the new government was less popular than Sunak's by two points, with the current Prime Minister not yet being three months into the job. It's hardly the best start...

More in Common quizzed 2,080 people on their thoughts on the governments of late. 31 per cent preferred Sunak's boys in blue, with 29 per cent logging their support for Sir Keir. It follows Starmer's rather bumpy ride in the top job, with his time as PM marred by accusations of cronyism, a freebie fiasco with considerable questions remaining about Labour donor Lord Alli, and backlash to unpopular policies like imposing VAT on private schools and cutting the winter fuel payment. In more bad news for Starmer, his personal approval rating has fallen, More in Common finds, by 38 points since his party won the election – down to -27 per cent.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2024, 11:20:27 AMplus the fact that no one goes to libraries anymore.
Nick just why do you think that, because I really do want to know why. (Libraries don't just lend out books. They have a wide range of other services these days.) 2/5ths of the population (200million.) Have used a library in the past year More at link:-

Statistics (publiclibrariesnews.com)

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 26, 2024, 03:31:23 PM
Isn't that just the expected grizzling of the twin-set and pearls blue-rinse Tory Tunbridge Wells set?

This country is poorer for its normal residents than it's been for decades — libraries closing, hospitals and GPs stretched to breaking point, roads cracked and breaking up, bus services being cut, food prices still rising, mail expensive and deliveries patchy, etc, etc, etc — and all that's not been caused by five weeks of Labour, but a decade of various unhinged Conservative administrations under five PMs, of which, only two might have succeeded had the party not been engaged in civil war!!!

The sensible electorate majority know the county's in a mess. Labour's mistake was to limit its revenue raising powers. Now it looks like we've got 10 years of carping from the incompetent sidelines while the UK tries to repair itself and the damaged relations with other nations...
Libraries closing has NOTHING to do with politics, but you know that, it's down to the internet, Kindles, iPads and various other techno advances, plus the fact that no one goes to libraries anymore. Do you morn the demise of the outside toilet also? It too is an outdated facility. As for the NHS, it has had record funding, but will never function properly cause there are too many people in the country. 

As for the rest, it's occurring in every single country I've been to in recent years, of which there has been many. The roads in the U.S. are shocking, they don't fix them, they put up signs warning you about the state of the road. 

The economy in the U.K. has been doing better than the rest of Europe for a while now, having the fastest growing economy in the G7 and now have a 10% higher GDP than France.  

I fail to see how Labour are going to do improve on anything that the Tories have been doing recently. 

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on August 26, 2024, 03:31:23 PM
Isn't that just the expected grizzling of the twin-set and pearls blue-rinse Tory Tunbridge Wells set?

This country is poorer for its normal residents than it's been for decades — libraries closing, hospitals and GPs stretched to breaking point, roads cracked and breaking up, bus services being cut, food prices still rising, mail expensive and deliveries patchy, etc, etc, etc — and all that's not been caused by five weeks of Labour, but a decade of various unhinged Conservative administrations under five PMs, of which, only two might have succeeded had the party not been engaged in civil war!!!

The sensible electorate majority know the county's in a mess. Labour's mistake was to limit its revenue raising powers. Now it looks like we've got 10 years of carping from the incompetent sidelines while the UK tries to repair itself and the damaged relations with other nations...
Your unending optimism in inadequacy is almost scary. Labour is proving to be the travesty most of us knew it would be. They have let their majority turn their heads. Just wait until their backbenchers get back from their hols. They are the ones who will get the backlash. If they have their way Starmer's day are already numbered. You haven't seen a civil war like it yet.

patman post

This country is poorer for its normal residents than it's been for decades — libraries closing, hospitals and GPs stretched to breaking point, roads cracked and breaking up, bus services being cut, food prices still rising, mail expensive and deliveries patchy, etc, etc, etc — and all that's not been caused by five weeks of Labour, but a decade of various unhinged Conservative administrations under five PMs, of which, only two might have succeeded had the party not been engaged in civil war!!!

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...