How a Violent Government Bureaucracy Killed Hundreds and Hid the Evidence

Started by papasmurf, August 27, 2024, 11:12:53 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2024, 05:33:42 PM
So how do you sort the can't from won't?
With real world testing NOT the sham the DWP uses which is a bastardised version of the  biopsychosocial model of disability cobbled together by the now thankfully deceased Mansel Aylward. (Who used to  work for the DWP, but left to work for Unum Provident, which is where his fatally (literally) flawed "test" was used to deny legitimate insurance claims.) Unum was successfully sued in a class action and Unum was called a "pariah company," by the judge.
Decades afterward despite that judgment DWP contractors are still finding people "fit for work," using that test when they are not. On Iain Duncan Smiths watch alone at the DWP 118000 people died because of wrongly being found "fit for work." A large number have also committed suicide because of it as well, and continue to do so.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2024, 05:33:42 PM
Well I expect that those who are severely mentally ill or some of those with a learning disability what they suffer speaks for itself.
Unless you've seen it first hand (and that's not a dig at anyone here) you cannot appreciate what they face.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on August 27, 2024, 05:30:39 PM
Sadly Nick some people are unable to help themselves,the severely mentally ill and many with a learning disability.

Unfortunately in both national and local govt and the propensity to farm out to the private sector they are not seen as human beings and are either a drain on resources or an income stream depending on the (what passes for a) service.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2024, 05:20:16 PM
It's about time they stopped blaming the government and started helping their selves.
Sadly Nick some people are unable to help themselves,the severely mentally ill and many with a learning disability.

Unfortunately in both national and local govt and the propensity to farm out to the private sector they are not seen as human beings and are either a drain on resources or an income stream depending on the (what passes for a) service.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2024, 05:20:16 PM
It's about time they stopped blaming the government and started helping their selves.
The government was very poor on this and for all I know hasn't improved.  From 2010-15 they effectively closed the Independent Living Fund that was instrumental in getting many disabled people into work and then those targets on sanctioning claimants that left many disabled unfairly out of money and no effective timely appeal mechanism.

But I don't believe the deaths figures Smurf has pushed over the years and I don't believe any of it was pursued by 'violence'.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 11:12:53 AM
I was part of crowdfunding to make sure every MP and other politicians gets a copy of this book:- The Department: How a Violent Government Bureaucracy Killed Hundreds and Hid the Evidence Paperback – 20 Aug. 2024 . . .
How sad that the author is so thick and uneducated he doesn't know what the word 'violent' means.  Or maybe he's just a liar.  Either way a book with that title has lost all credibility before even opening it.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 27, 2024, 01:07:23 PM

Even Smurf realises that gov cannot be relied upon. Families are often better placed to help.
The DWP cannot be relied on. The DWP hostile environment towards disabled people has and is killing thousands of people. (Which is referenced and detailed in the book.) It is a national disgrace and thus far it seems the Labour government is going to let the DWP carry on doing it.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 12:24:12 PM
Thanks but I did not want to reference that. My copy is coming direct from the publishers. (I pre ordered it before publication.)
I'd prefer to believe that Government faux-pas are more likely to be responsible than violent civil servants.
That link also shows how totally inadequate some people are in society. They do need support, but why rely on government?
Even Smurf realises that gov cannot be relied upon. Families are often better placed to help.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 27, 2024, 12:16:40 PM
This Amazon link gives a chance for a preview.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Department-Government-Bureaucracy-Hundreds-Evidence/dp/0745349897
Thanks but I did not want to reference that. My copy is coming direct from the publishers. (I pre ordered it before publication.)

papasmurf

I was part of crowdfunding to make sure every MP and other politicians gets a copy of this book:- The Department: How a Violent Government Bureaucracy Killed Hundreds and Hid the Evidence Paperback – 20 Aug. 2024

by John Pring (Author)ISBN-10, ‎0745349897 ; ISBN-13, ‎978-0745349893

In the early 2010s, reports began to emerge of deaths linked to a government department. Suicide notes, coroners' reports, and research by disabled activists pointed to failings within the Department for Work and Pensions – the DWP – the government body responsible for the disability benefits system.
As years passed, and austerity tightened its grip, the death toll mounted, and an even more disturbing picture emerged: bureaucracy, politicians, and the private sector had combined over thirty years to reckless, deadly effect.
For the last decade, disabled journalist John Pring has meticulously pieced together how the DWP ignored pleas to correct fatal flaws in the social security system and covered up its role in the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of disabled people. Having spent years researching the heartbreaking stories of twelve individuals who died, he describes how their bereaved families have fought for justice and accountability.