1st PMQs with the new Head Boy

Started by T00ts, September 04, 2024, 12:45:25 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2024, 01:21:43 PM
It will be repeated on BBC Parliament at 22.00 hours tonight. (I missed it because I had two dentists appointments.)

Recording also available here:- BBC Parliament - Prime Minister's Questions
It's a lot easier to read the transcript:  https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2024-09-04/debates/496C803E-4E87-4EA0-824A-A3EBE33A0279/Engagements

Especially if you want to search for or quote a point

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 04, 2024, 03:26:46 PM
I try to be optimistic, I really do but I am not sure this country can survive 5 years of Labour as it is at the moment.
Britain could not survive another five years of Tory government. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

I try to be optimistic, I really do but I am not sure this country can survive 5 years of Labour as it is at the moment.  I fear we are seeing the infancy of a leader who is an authoritarian lawyer to the point that he sees most people as being somehow criminal and the only way forward is to brow beat everyone to the point of submission. I wonder if he even browbeats his family. They wanted a German Shepherd I understand but have ended up with a cat after a tough negotiating Summer.

He worries me. Someone needs to take him on one side and tell him to pull his neck in. He won't last long thank goodness.

Barry

Just watching it at fast speed.
Replies were:
£22 billion black hole blah blah
Israel export licences for arms blah blah (made an assumption Israel are breaking International law, which they strongly deny)
Lots of derision during the explanation by Sunak over 6 hostages being executed.
Starmer reaffirms Israel's right to self-defence at the same time as cancelling 30 export licences for arms to defend themselves.
Starmer says he has sent back 400 illegal immigrants.
About WFA again "We have to stabilise the economy" blah blah blah 
Triple lock mentioned a lot
Thanked for visiting injured PSNI officers, seemed a genuine effort.
Oasis concert mentioned - why that is Parliamentary business is a mystery.
Renewable energy will give us cheaper energy says Starmer. (We'll wait and see)
Planning for new houses - they want the planning process speeded up but local councils have to obey the law and it takes time!
An MP doctor from East Anglia asked about the "reset" or cancellation of the Tories hospital building programme to help fix the broken NHS.
On WFA Starmer says the WFA decision was made to repair the £22 billion black hole, but the WFA decision saves less than 2 billion, so that was a lie.
Caledonian building schools in Somerset - PM will take action along with the education minister.
We will fix the mess left by the Tories after 14 years "Actions not slogans"
Knife crime re: dead 13 year old - "Thoughts with family" blah blah blah
That was about it.

The Labour responses often revolve around a £22 billion black hole which is a bit of a myth. More than 11 billion given to foreign countries over "Net zero". If they can afford that nonsense they can afford WFA.
But they wanted to punish "rich pensioners" by removing WFA and then allowed the price cap to rise by 10%.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 04, 2024, 12:59:16 PM
I didn't see it, but did he actually answer any questions?
He called Sunak Prime Minister AGAIN!! Even he knows he isn't wanted. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 04, 2024, 12:59:16 PM
It will be repeated on BBC Parliament at 22.00 hours tonight. (I missed it because I had two dentists appointments.)

Recording also available here:- BBC Parliament - Prime Minister's Questions
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Rowdy as ever and I was waiting for a new order that Starmer seemed to promise a few days ago.  Apart from that the legacy of the last 14 years was repeated ad nauseum (who'd have guessed?) He can't seem to speak without regular looks at his copious notes.

My biggest note was his front bench. Miserable I would describe them. Po faced but if I was Starmer I would keep my enemies very close. The were more than a few side-eyes. His 'performance', rather desperate in tone I thought, was being assessed not only in front of him but also from behind his back. You're toast Starmer.