Tory leadership

Started by Streetwalker, September 04, 2024, 05:06:51 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on Today at 09:28:27 AMInside the wealthy donors bankrolling the Tory leadership candidates

Related: Firm who ran blacklist for workers donates to Tories since 2001

There has been a blacklist of workers since well before 2001. At least as far back as 1919. Blacklisting was made illegal in 2009. However that has not stopped it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

If that is the best the Tories can come up with as leadership candidates I suspect the Tories are in serious trouble.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on October 02, 2024, 09:59:31 AMEven ONS statistics should be examined very carefully as they are open to being falsified.
Having worked for the Crown, I know how a simple thing like crime statistics can be swayed by slight movement of goalposts.

Meanwhile, the Tory leadership seems to be Kemi versus Bobby and Bobby seems to have turned into Nigel Farage's brother in arms when it comes to immigration. No-one will believe him of course. He's only 42 and was born in Wolverhampton, which doesn't make him a bad person.
Kemi was born in Wimbledon, the epitome of being British.
Not so sure Barry . Badenoch hasn't had the greatest of conference and has drifted in the betting to 6/1 with Clevely becoming second favourite 11/4 . Jenerick is still the odds on favourite 4/7 (ladbrokes)

The Tories see Farage as their biggest threat to regaining power and will need to get the right wing votes back somehow . Not sure turning themselves into Reform candidates makes much sense though , if you want Reform you would vote Reform not for a party that is trying to re-invent itself in its shadow .
Lets face it , the Tories deserted the conservative right wing ground into which the Reform party were happy to put their left foot . Where Reforms right foot is is not somewhere the Conservatives want to go yet both Jenerick and Badenoch seem to think they can take the party there .
Thats why Clevely has now risen to second favourite and will likely take Tugenhat's numbers next Thurs/Friday .
That will leave the membership with a vote between Clevely and Jenerick when most from what Im reading want Badenoch .
Confused ? Your not alone . ;)

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 02, 2024, 10:10:11 AMWhile that description applies to me, all the others who worked very hard and were unfairly denied benefits (like johnofgwent for example, who has written extensively about it) should not be tarred with that brush. He was suffering from blindness due to extreme cararacts and was still denied benefits.

I don't think that's fair, the DWP staff are helpful and good mostly but mistakes are made sometimes as everyone is only human.

The people who claim benefits are not scroungers for the most part, many are working and work hard to provide for their family, they claim working tax credits and such like for the most part. And people with conditions like JoG's should never have been denied benefits.

I think smurf's compassion and helping people should be commended.

Other than your comment about DWP staff being helpful I agree.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on October 02, 2024, 09:32:22 AMWhat evidence? You haven't shown any, all you have done is linked to a book written by someone who is just as deluded by you. I've never had a penny in benefits, I've worked hard all my life and very soon I will be sitting on a tropical beach in the sunshine for the rest of my days, not festering in some Hobbit hole down in darkest Cornwall, complaining that no one is looking out for the poor Cherubs. Well guess what? If the poor Cherubs want something they should get up off their @rses and work for it, my heart bleeds purple P@ss.

While that description applies to me, all the others who worked very hard and were unfairly denied benefits (like johnofgwent for example, who has written extensively about it) should not be tarred with that brush. He was suffering from blindness due to extreme cararacts and was still denied benefits.

I don't think that's fair, the DWP staff are helpful and good mostly but mistakes are made sometimes as everyone is only human.

The people who claim benefits are not scroungers for the most part, many are working and work hard to provide for their family, they claim working tax credits and such like for the most part. And people with conditions like JoG's should never have been denied benefits.

I think smurf's compassion and helping people should be commended.
+++

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2024, 09:02:53 AMWhich Nick has ignored for years.  Personally the DWP causing deaths and suicides since 1992 will be a far bigger scandal than the post office software one. I don't give a monkeys what Nick thinks, the evidence backing me up is overwhelming.
Even ONS statistics should be examined very carefully as they are open to being falsified.
Having worked for the Crown, I know how a simple thing like crime statistics can be swayed by slight movement of goalposts.

Meanwhile, the Tory leadership seems to be Kemi versus Bobby and Bobby seems to have turned into Nigel Farage's brother in arms when it comes to immigration. No-one will believe him of course. He's only 42 and was born in Wolverhampton, which doesn't make him a bad person.
Kemi was born in Wimbledon, the epitome of being British.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 02, 2024, 09:32:22 AMWhat evidence? You haven't shown any, all you have done is linked to a book written by someone who is just as deluded by you. I've never had a penny in benefits, I've worked hard all my life and very soon I will be sitting on a tropical beach in the sunshine for the rest of my days, not festering in some Hobbit hole down in darkest Cornwall, complaining that no one is looking out for the poor Cherubs. Well guess what? If the poor Cherubs want something they should get up off their @rses and work for it, my heart bleeds purple P@ss.

Nick I have been posting links to evidence for years. You have not bothered to read it.
The book is merely collated and referenced evidence. Your insults come from your total ignorance of the subject. Also seriously disabled people cannot "get of their arses and work for it."
You really have no effing clue.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2024, 09:02:53 AMthe evidence backing me up is overwhelming.
What evidence? You haven't shown any, all you have done is linked to a book written by someone who is just as deluded by you. I've never had a penny in benefits, I've worked hard all my life and very soon I will be sitting on a tropical beach in the sunshine for the rest of my days, not festering in some Hobbit hole down in darkest Cornwall, complaining that no one is looking out for the poor Cherubs. Well guess what? If the poor Cherubs want something they should get up off their @rses and work for it, my heart bleeds purple P@ss.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2024, 09:14:34 AMSorry but I am NOT interested in anecdotes about JobCentre Plus and the DWP. I and others have been collecting and collating actuarial evidence about the harsh and callous treatment of claimants by both and DWP contractors for over 30 years. The sheer number of deaths and suicides caused by them is scandalous.

They aren't perfect and made mistakes. How do you know it was "deliberate"? One should never assume the worst in others.

The WCA has been scrapped by the Tories more recently. That's a good thing.

And the fact is, many DWP staff have been very nice and many tried to help, as someone who actually was suffering a disability and on disability benefits in England after going through the WCA for some years I can say that. I no longer am on any of that but I was for a long time and they really did help.

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 02, 2024, 09:09:21 AMThe DWP often try to help people and do the best they can, that's personal experience I can back up with my own anecdotes in the Jobcentre, most of them were very nice

Sorry but I am NOT interested in anecdotes about JobCentre Plus and the DWP. I and others have been collecting and collating actuarial evidence about the harsh and callous treatment of claimants by both and DWP contractors for over 30 years. The sheer number of deaths and suicides caused by them is scandalous.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2024, 09:02:53 AMWhich Nick has ignored for years.  Personally the DWP causing deaths and suicides since 1992 will be a far bigger scandal than the post office software one. I don't give a monkeys what Nick thinks, the evidence backing me up is overwhelming.

The DWP often try to help people and do the best they can, that's personal experience I can back up with my own anecdotes in the Jobcentre, most of them were very nice
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 02, 2024, 08:33:50 AMIMHO, Smurf posts a lot of facts including ONS data.

Which Nick has ignored for years.  Personally the DWP causing deaths and suicides since 1992 will be a far bigger scandal than the post office software one. I don't give a monkeys what Nick thinks, the evidence backing me up is overwhelming.

Borg Refinery

IMHO, Smurf posts a lot of facts including ONS data.

Nick also posts a lot of facts and has been in the RAF and is very good at software design and has shown a knack for statistics.

No reason to fight, IMHO.

Personal experience counts for much, as does factual evidence
+++