Insurance Industry Mergers/Takeovers.

Started by papasmurf, September 05, 2024, 08:24:31 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Insurance is a cartel, the same in the U.S.  
In the U.S. they do car insurance as 6 month blocks, we had a Ford explorer and it was $300 in 2001. I got caught for speeding and it doubled, same for the wife: $2400 a year, my bike (Yamaha R1) was about $50 a year as it was seen as a leisure thing. 
My insurance in the U.K. almost doubled this year for no reason that I know of. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 05, 2024, 04:40:30 PM
Plenty of sites online (and brokers for computerphobes) from which to check or arrange insurance covers.

It's not been wise to remain with one's current insurer without checking for years now, as the reasons that drive their premium assessments are so diverse...
I have, had remained with one broker for many years not with the same insurance company.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Plenty of sites online (and brokers for computerphobes) from which to check or arrange insurance covers. 

It's not been wise to remain with one's current insurer without checking for years now, as the reasons that drive their premium assessments are so diverse...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 05, 2024, 11:17:11 AM
The Insurance industry has been somewhat struggling with low margins for some years now so a number of insurers are dumping what they see as unprofitable lines of business.  Some have effectively got out of the industry altogether existing only as a marketing name for another company.
It is difficult to determine what they are insuring.

Unlucky4Sum

The Insurance industry has been somewhat struggling with low margins for some years now so a number of insurers are dumping what they see as unprofitable lines of business.  Some have effectively got out of the industry altogether existing only as a marketing name for another company.

papasmurf

On a personal level insurance has become a nightmare over the last two years. With frankly after mergers and takeovers they have got nasty. (We have had compensation after a fight.)
Latest instance the broker my family has used since before the 2nd World War, has been taken over and no longer handles building and contents insurance. I was also informed yesterday the company that insures my car will not renew as they are no longer doing car insurance.