Insurance Industry Mergers/Takeovers.

Started by papasmurf, September 05, 2024, 08:24:31 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 07, 2024, 04:08:28 PM
You can ask friends, you can remember previous experiences with same insurers, even look at review sites etc
The complaints about the insurers I was with only started after they were taken over. I had had no problems until then.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2024, 03:52:22 PM
The problem being you don't know what absolute (expletive deleted,) they are until you make a claim.
You can ask friends, you can remember previous experiences with same insurers, even look at review sites etc

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 07, 2024, 02:31:34 PM
Just shows that even the clued-up should be VERY careful when choosing an insurer...
The problem being you don't know what absolute (expletive deleted,) they are until you make a claim.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2024, 06:20:39 AM
Quite. My wife and I had VERY serious problems making a claim last year.
Just shows that even the clued-up should be VERY careful when choosing an insurer...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 06, 2024, 08:52:08 PM
 it's always a mistake to judge insurance just by the premiums. 
Quite. My wife and I had VERY serious problems making a claim last year.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on September 06, 2024, 03:50:24 PM
I make VERY sure about that.
I do the opposite

They always give me plenty of notice of renewal.  I then take a look at alternatives and make a decision.

PS: it's always a mistake to judge insurance just by the premiums.  

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 06, 2024, 03:17:01 PM

Also, if you do change insurance company, make sure you're not on an automatic renewal.

I make VERY sure about that.

patman post

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 05, 2024, 09:10:11 PM
Sell seems you have no evidence.  Neither do the authorities, meantime anyone that's use Compare the Market or Go Compare knows that far from a cartel there's very keen competition in the market.
That's true — plus tailoring the excesses and add-ons to what you really need can affect premiums.

One company's actuary explained to me that premiums weren't always about assessing risk associated with policyholders, risks, vehicles, etc, but can be used in such marketing initiatives as moving into or out of different geographical areas where they feel over- or under-represented.

Also, if you do change insurance company, make sure you're not on an automatic renewal.

Finding out later that you've been charged a premium by the company you've moved from means you'll be charged (plus cancellation fees) for the time until the policy was cancelled...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 05, 2024, 04:45:17 PM
I have, had remained with one broker for many years not with the same insurance company.
I used LV for many years then the avaricious management tried to turn a decent mutual for a quick profit.
Im now with saga and fairly decent though have found NFU insurance good
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2024, 05:52:16 PM
It is, I was with Geiko.
Sell seems you have no evidence.  Neither do the authorities, meantime anyone that's use Compare the Market or Go Compare knows that far from a cartel there's very keen competition in the market.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2024, 05:15:59 PM
My bike now (K1600GT) is about £350 a year, but I was one of the people who lost their bike entitlement when I changed address. Did it even notice until about 7 years ago so technically I was riding around with no licence for 13 years.
You are by no means the only person caught out by cock-ups by the DVLA.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 05, 2024, 05:00:51 PM
Our car insurance has gone up a bit as has the breakdown recovery for Europe. (The AA is a rip off for European breakdown recovery.) The house plus contents insurance with the new insurer is little changed.
Motorcycle insurances have remained stable and reasonable.
However a friend who lives in London has just been quoted £2000 for her small motorcycle despite her being 58 years old.
My bike now (K1600GT) is about £350 a year, but I was one of the people who lost their bike entitlement when I changed address. Did it even notice until about 7 years ago so technically I was riding around with no licence for 13 years. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2024, 04:53:30 PM

My insurance in the U.K. almost doubled this year for no reason that I know of.
Our car insurance has gone up a bit as has the breakdown recovery for Europe. (The AA is a rip off for European breakdown recovery.) The house plus contents insurance with the new insurer is little changed.
Motorcycle insurances have remained stable and reasonable.
However a friend who lives in London has just been quoted £2000 for her small motorcycle despite her being 58 years old.