Still needs fixing

Started by BeElBeeBub, September 07, 2024, 10:14:20 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2024, 09:39:10 AM
Nick may I ask why you think they are tons of cod in UK waters? (Serious question by the way.) The majority of cod we use in the UK is imported. UK waters quotas are very low.

Look at Annex Table 1: United Kingdom-European Union bilateral stocks

Economic outcomes of negotiations for UK fishing opportunities 2024 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
The U.K. catches 1100 tons of Cod each year, we import (If others valiues are correct) 200 tons, Iceland, Norway and China are NOT in the EU. And every year the EU is losing access to our waters, meaning our imports will be less. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 08, 2024, 11:55:10 AM

Meantime we export just under half that amount - which of course was hurt because post Brexit we had to meet EU regs on cleaning shellfish.

With costly paperwork digging a big hole in the profit, (if there is any profit.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on September 08, 2024, 09:18:08 AM
There is tons of cod in our waters, not as much as there should be because fishermen are greedy. We shall see how it plays out as the EU slowing loses its entitlement to fish our waters.
There isn't enough for the UK demand, we import 200,000+ tonnes of Cod each year and 1.2million tonnes of seafood overall incl 150,000 tonnes from Norway where we had a free right to fish until Brexit.

Meantime we export just under half that amount - which of course was hurt because post Brexit we had to meet EU regs on cleaning shellfish.

Here'e the stats:  https://www.seafish.org/insight-and-research/seafood-trade-data/  

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 08, 2024, 09:18:08 AM
There is tons of cod in our waters, not as much as there should be because fishermen are greedy. We shall see how it plays out as the EU slowing loses its entitlement to fish our waters.
Nick may I ask why you think they are tons of cod in UK waters? (Serious question by the way.) The majority of cod we use in the UK is imported. UK waters quotas are very low.

Look at Annex Table 1: United Kingdom-European Union bilateral stocks

Economic outcomes of negotiations for UK fishing opportunities 2024 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2024, 08:40:12 AM
Quite. It has been a disaster.
So much of a disaster that U.K. fish exports to the EU are at the same level as before Brexit. 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 08, 2024, 08:17:22 AM
I'll agree that British seafood pallete is somewhat limited.

But that still means the most popular fish are cod and haddock. 80% of our seafood comes from abroad and 70% of our catch goes abroad.

Our biggest catch is mackerel then herring. Neither of which are overwhelmingly popular.

The idea that leaving the EU would result in a boom on British fishing was always bollocks. The decline of British fishing was tied to other factors, some global (in the sense of affecting everyone) and some unique to how the UK operated it's fleet (the selling of quotas etc)

Still Farage was able to get his photo ops on front of some trawlers.  I wonder when the last time he visited a fishing area.was now he has other fish to fry (sorry)
The fact is the vast majority of people in the U.K. only get exposed to Cod or Haddock in batter and only see a Prawn in a Vindaloo. Most of our more
exotic seafood like Tiger Prawns and the like come from such places as Costa Rica or Vietnam, we don't need the EU to get them. The EU is deliberately making it difficult to trade as punishment, pure and simple, and as I said, when the EU has lost its rights to fish our waters they will have to adjust their stance. 

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 08, 2024, 01:39:54 AM
It's not an absolute we only eat fish that don't swim in our waters but it is a fact that we have to import a lot of fish because we like cod etc and not enough swim in our waters and we catch a lot of shellfish we need to export to EU nations.  Out fishing industry was desperately naive about this and many in it just assumed that come Brexit we'd be free to fish in EEA waters and free to export - well we aint.
There is tons of cod in our waters, not as much as there should be because fishermen are greedy. We shall see how it plays out as the EU slowing loses its entitlement to fish our waters. 

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 08, 2024, 08:17:22 AM

The idea that leaving the EU would result in a boom on British fishing was always bollocks.
Quite. It has been a disaster. 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on September 08, 2024, 01:16:41 AM
Do tell, what are these fish from other climes that we eat in the U.K.? This should be good for a laugh. No doubt you're going to put Tuna as the pinnacle of U.K. fish, well guess what, we don't get outbound fro the EU.

The fact is that the U.K. is very uneducated when it comes to fish, and eat very little of it. That has nothing to do with the EU, it's just stupid Brits that don't appreciate the bounty we have.
I'll agree that British seafood pallete is somewhat limited.

But that still means the most popular fish are cod and haddock. 80% of our seafood comes from abroad and 70% of our catch goes abroad.

Our biggest catch is mackerel then herring. Neither of which are overwhelmingly popular.

The idea that leaving the EU would result in a boom on British fishing was always bollocks. The decline of British fishing was tied to other factors, some global (in the sense of affecting everyone) and some unique to how the UK operated it's fleet (the selling of quotas etc)

Still Farage was able to get his photo ops on front of some trawlers.  I wonder when the last time he visited a fishing area.was now he has other fish to fry (sorry) 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on September 08, 2024, 01:16:41 AM
Do tell, what are these fish from other climes that we eat in the U.K.? This should be good for a laugh. No doubt you're going to put Tuna as the pinnacle of U.K. fish, well guess what, we don't get outbound fro the EU.

The fact is that the U.K. is very uneducated when it comes to fish, and eat very little of it. That has nothing to do with the EU, it's just stupid Brits that don't appreciate the bounty we have.
It's not an absolute we only eat fish that don't swim in our waters but it is a fact that we have to import a lot of fish because we like cod etc and not enough swim in our waters and we catch a lot of shellfish we need to export to EU nations.  Out fishing industry was desperately naive about this and many in it just assumed that come Brexit we'd be free to fish in EEA waters and free to export - well we aint. 

Borg Refinery

Well I'm sure Sir Keir Knight of the Realm Starmer will make it all better by pretending to be doing something about it, that's what matters
+++

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 07, 2024, 09:40:55 PM
All advance economies.are service led. USA is about 75%, France about 80%, even Germany and Japan are 70%

What we are finding is that, in today's global world, there is no avoiding the EU for a nation on it's doorstep - like Canada and Mexico have found with the US.

All we.did was.make.life harder for our manufacturers.

Out fishermen are getting the Shaft because the fish that swim in our territorial waters aren't the fish we eat. Most of the popular (in the UK) fish come from other countries waters. They believed a lie and are now paying for their gullibllity.
Do tell, what are these fish from other climes that we eat in the U.K.? This should be good for a laugh. No doubt you're going to put Tuna as the pinnacle of U.K. fish, well guess what, we don't get that from the EU.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 07, 2024, 07:17:31 PM
What I mean is that the UK is  a service led economy with over 80% of our economic output in that sector . Manufacturing is under 10% and while that for sure could be better its not what we should be gauging what 'still needs fixing ' on . Personally that should be on how well we are leaving EU institutions and removing EU laws and regulations from the rule books. How we are going to resolve the Northern Ireland issue and returning our economic waters  to our fishing fleet .

All advance economies.are service led. USA is about 75%, France about 80%, even Germany and Japan are 70%

What we are finding is that, in today's global world, there is no avoiding the EU for a nation on it's doorstep - like Canada and Mexico have found with the US.

All we.did was.make.life harder for our manufacturers.

Out fishermen are getting the Shaft because the fish that swim in our territorial waters aren't the fish we eat. Most of the popular (in the UK) fish come from other countries waters. They believed a lie and are now paying for their gullibllity. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 07, 2024, 06:06:44 PM
Not quite sure what you mean.

Goods (not services) exports from the UK are down overall on 2019 levels (ie prepandemic and energy shock) by about 11% for both EU and Non EU destinations.

The EU is still our biggest trade partner and exports to other destinations have not seen a boost.
What I mean is that the UK is  a service led economy with over 80% of our economic output in that sector . Manufacturing is under 10% and while that for sure could be better its not what we should be gauging what 'still needs fixing ' on . Personally that should be on how well we are leaving EU institutions and removing EU laws and regulations from the rule books. How we are going to resolve the Northern Ireland issue and returning our economic waters  to our fishing fleet .