Still needs fixing

Started by BeElBeeBub, September 07, 2024, 10:14:20 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 19, 2024, 07:00:22 PM
Are you saying that you don't trust the HSE to do their job?
Given the amount the HSE budget has been slashed, trust isn't the issue.

(AI search.)

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has seen significant budget cuts since 2010, including:

Funding
The HSE's real-terms funding has been cut by around 45% since 2010. In 2022, funding increased to £185 million, but this is still significantly lower than 2010.
Staff
The HSE has seen a 35% reduction in staff since 2010, and the number of inspectors has fallen by 18%.
These cuts have led to a capacity, staffing, and skills crisis that threatens the HSE's ability to keep people safe at work. Some say that the HSE needs more resources to deal with emerging threats, such as the worsening mental health crisis, the growth of the gig economy, and the move towards net zero.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 19, 2024, 04:58:32 PM
It's the HSE who set the limits via regulation rather than legislation.

The limits apply to production, import and sale.

Grape, coffee, tea etc produced around the world is produced to differnt standards. They use some horrendous pesticides in Africa and India.

If the resulting produce has too high a level it can't be imported into the UK or EU. Instead they would be shipped to a country that is happy to accept them.

The UK no longer keeps pace with the EU (this is a direct Brexit effect)

The research the article cites seems to imply that some levels have actually gone backwards from where we were, again this is a direct Brexit effect.

"I wash my veg" doesn't really get around the fact that the pesticide residuals allowed on and in (the same thing applies to substances given to livestock) our food are higher than they would otherwise be. This cannot be seen as a good thing.
Are you saying that you don't trust the HSE to do their job?
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2024, 01:23:40 PM
Can you show the legislation change that states more pesticides are allowed on food in the UK?
Also, since when were grapes, avocados, coffee and rice grown in the UK? In fact, most of that has NEVER originated from the EU EVER.
We get most of our Grapes from South Africa and South America, Avocados and Coffee from South America and Rice from India, so how is this due to leaving the EU? Another scaremongering story brought to you by the Left. All Fruit and Veg gets washed in my house before being consumed, I assumed everyone else does too?

How long have you been trying to show that Brexit is to blame for all the ills, yet you haven't come up with anything.
It's the HSE who set the limits via regulation rather than legislation.

The limits apply to production, import and sale.

Grape, coffee, tea etc produced around the world is produced to differnt standards. They use some horrendous pesticides in Africa and India.

If the resulting produce has too high a level it can't be imported into the UK or EU. Instead they would be shipped to a country that is happy to accept them.

The UK no longer keeps pace with the EU (this is a direct Brexit effect)

The research the article cites seems to imply that some levels have actually gone backwards from where we were, again this is a direct Brexit effect.

"I wash my veg" doesn't really get around the fact that the pesticide residuals allowed on and in (the same thing applies to substances given to livestock) our food are higher than they would otherwise be. This cannot be seen as a good thing.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2024, 03:43:03 PM
I could have posted later data. (Plus grapes are seasonal.)
The fact is that pesticides are dangerous to insects and wildlife, if you wash your food adequately they don't come into it.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2024, 02:59:27 PM
Asda has no mention of English grapes since 2016 and Waitrose Grapes all say South Africa as origin. I assume the venture didn't work out.
I could have posted later data. (Plus grapes are seasonal.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2024, 02:30:04 PM
English-grown grapes are available at the following supermarkets in the UK:
Waitrose
In 2011, Waitrose launched the first English-grown dessert grapes, which were hand-picked and grown in England
Asda
In 2016, Asda began selling what it claimed were the first UK-grown seedless table grapes, which were the result of a successful growing trial in Kent
Asda has no mention of English grapes since 2016 and Waitrose Grapes all say South Africa as origin. I assume the venture didn't work out.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2024, 01:56:58 PM
I am aware that Grapes are grown for wine making, they do not make their way onto supermarket shelves do they, therefore they are not pertinent to this conversation really.
English-grown grapes are available at the following supermarkets in the UK:
Waitrose
In 2011, Waitrose launched the first English-grown dessert grapes, which were hand-picked and grown in England
Asda
In 2016, Asda began selling what it claimed were the first UK-grown seedless table grapes, which were the result of a successful growing trial in Kent

Nick

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 19, 2024, 12:39:06 PM
Slightly off topic (that the current trading arrangements with the EU are worse than previously and are causing some manufacturers problems)....

It appears the bonfire of regulations has indeed resulted in weaker food standards.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/sep/19/revealed-far-higher-pesticide-residues-allowed-on-food-since-brexit

Not sure who is going to cheer this one.
Can you show the legislation change that states more pesticides are allowed on food in the UK?
Also, since when were grapes, avocados, coffee and rice grown in the UK? In fact, most of that has NEVER originated from the EU EVER.
We get most of our Grapes from South Africa and South America, Avocados and Coffee from South America and Rice from India, so how is this due to leaving the EU? Another scaremongering story brought to you by the Left. All Fruit and Veg gets washed in my house before being consumed, I assumed everyone else does too?

How long have you been trying to show that Brexit is to blame for all the ills, yet you haven't come up with anything.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2024, 09:54:21 PM
Well... myself, the BBC, ex chancellor and Financial Times ALL use Q1 and Q2 figures. To be honest, what you think is inconsequential.
Slightly off topic (that the current trading arrangements with the EU are worse than previously and are causing some manufacturers problems)....

It appears the bonfire of regulations has indeed resulted in weaker food standards. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/sep/19/revealed-far-higher-pesticide-residues-allowed-on-food-since-brexit

Not sure who is going to cheer this one. 

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 13, 2024, 09:39:05 PM
Look you made a boast in the present tense so I looked up the latest figures and they said you were wrong about the present. 

No serious economic observer uses a 6 month observation window.

Here's the facts of the UK vis a vis the G7 using the recorded data:

Last 3 months:  UK is NOT the fastest growing (3rd)
Last 6 months:  UK IS the fastest growing
Last 9 months:  UK is NOT the fastest growing (2nd and below G7 average)
Last year:  UK is NOT the fastest growing (3rd and below G7 average)
2019-24: UK is NOT the fastest growing (6th out of 7)

If you think that somehow that makes the UK the most promising major economy right now then enjoy your thinking. 
Well... myself, the BBC, ex chancellor and Financial Times ALL use Q1 and Q2 figures. To be honest, what you think is inconsequential. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2024, 09:12:20 AM
You can obfuscate all you want, you still haven't shown how the U.K. (Q1 and Q2) has been outgrown by the U.S.  60% or 0.7 is more than 70% of 0.4, this is a mathematical fact and all the bluster in the world from you doesn't change that.
Look you made a boast in the present tense so I looked up the latest figures and they said you were wrong about the present.  

No serious economic observer uses a 6 month observation window. 

Here's the facts of the UK vis a vis the G7 using the recorded data:

Last 3 months:  UK is NOT the fastest growing (3rd)
Last 6 months:  UK IS the fastest growing 
Last 9 months:  UK is NOT the fastest growing (2nd and below G7 average)
Last year:   UK is NOT the fastest growing (3rd and below G7 average)
2019-24: UK is NOT the fastest growing (6th out of 7) 

If you think that somehow that makes the UK the most promising major economy right now then enjoy your thinking.  

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2024, 09:12:56 AM
We are discussing Steve's behaviour on his old forum.
Why?   Not that it was ever my forum.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2024, 07:25:57 AM
Personal experience often does not reflect the national picture. It is a very big mistake to base opinion on personal experience.
We are discussing Steve's behaviour on his old forum.