Road Pricing to replace fuel duty.

Started by BeElBeeBub, September 09, 2024, 12:37:35 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2024, 12:44:20 PM
That would mean a huge lump sum annual bill. It would also penalise those in rural areas who often live long distances away from good and services. As it is I am having to avoid the increasing number of town/cities with ULEZ type of charges. (I don't have the technology to pay the daylight robbery costs anyway.) Plus car parking charges are rocketing with the ability to pay for parking with cash ever more limited.
Annual motoring bill need not necessarily rise — depends on what level the mileage charge is set and other charges — eg, like France, the annual road fund licence could be scrapped and more fairly applied to miles driven...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 09, 2024, 12:37:35 PM
Tax from fuel duty has been falling as electric cars become more common.

There is discussion on how to collect taxes on electric cars going forward and "road pricing" (effectively pay per mile) has been suggested.

Most approaches use "black boxes" similar to insurance companies already use

My suggestion.

We already collect the odometer reading at every MOT.

Use this to calculate the annual miles.

Each vehicle would have a pence per mile based on it's emissions and other considerations. This could be per model or. It could be vehicles diveded into bands.

The tax is then the miles x the rate. This would be collected either as an extra charge on your MOT or via your vehicle tax eg direct debit monthly) .  The milage at sale would be used to collect part year data via the V5 re regesteation process.

Fuel duty youkd be abolished.

So petrol might cost £1 a liter at pump. But the p/mile would be higher than the electric car. You cold do things like make the p/mile more for heavier luxury type cars

If the owner is registered disabled you could provide lower rates or even free miles.

You could have progressive milage charges, similar to. Income tax - your first 10k.mikes.mihht be at one rate and then a differnt rate for each mile over that.

In short, whilst it may be a but if a change for many, I can see pricing based on miles traveled as a much fairer way if taxing road use, and (if using the annual. Mot milage method) not too. Difficult to. Implement as there is no. Additional. Infrastructure to supply black boxes etx

We would need to make "clocking" harder and more of a penalty.
And this is why I am preparing to go and live abroad, why don't they just stick their
fingers down my throat and have done with it. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 09, 2024, 12:37:35 PM

There is discussion on how to collect taxes on electric cars going forward and "road pricing" (effectively pay per mile) has been suggested.

My suggestion.

That would mean a huge lump sum annual bill. It would also penalise those in rural areas who often live long distances away from good and services. As it is I am having to avoid the increasing number of town/cities with ULEZ type of charges. (I don't have the technology to pay the daylight robbery costs anyway.) Plus car parking charges are rocketing with the ability to pay for parking with cash ever more limited.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

BeElBeeBub

My suggestion. 

Use this to calculate the annual miles. 

Each vehicle would have a pence per mile based on it's emissions and other considerations. This could be per model or. It could be vehicles diveded into bands. 

The tax is then the miles x the rate. This would be collected either as an extra charge on your MOT or via your vehicle tax eg direct debit monthly) .  The milage at sale would be used to collect part year data via the V5 re regesteation process. 

Fuel duty youkd be abolished. 

So petrol might cost £1 a liter at pump. But the p/mile would be higher than the electric car. You cold do things like make the p/mile more for heavier luxury type cars

If the owner is registered disabled you could provide lower rates or even free miles. 

You could have progressive milage charges, similar to. Income tax - your first 10k.mikes.mihht be at one rate and then a differnt rate for each mile over that. 

In short, whilst it may be a but if a change for many, I can see pricing based on miles traveled as a much fairer way if taxing road use, and (if using the annual. Mot milage method) not too. Difficult to. Implement as there is no. Additional. Infrastructure to supply black boxes etx

We would need to make "clocking" harder and more of a penalty.