Labour's betrayal: Pensioners in seat that turned red for first time EVER in 2024 despair at Winter Fuel Payments axe - 'How can they do that to a human being?'

Started by GBNews, September 12, 2024, 01:22:35 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2024, 02:14:13 PM
Well, when a terminally ill cancer patient with an iq of somewhere  north of all  145 can't successfully get their application past the entrance i say anyone who has managed it should be lauded and applauded.
Quite. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 12, 2024, 08:22:53 AM
We have a serial  claimer on our estate who has a rep for helping people get their claims and appeals approved . It seems pretty much fact that knowing the system has its benefits . I wouldn't be surprised to see a queue at her door in the next week or so
Well, when a terminally ill cancer patient with an iq of somewhere  north of all  145 can't successfully get their application past the entrance i say anyone who has managed it should be lauded and applauded.

Yes. Dad died before he could get an answer out of the scum. By which i mean he was never sure he was entitled to these extra pension benefits bt could never work out what to say to get past the "no, that's not filled in right, F@@@ off and die why don't you" gestapo

I think any able bodied pensioners motoring somewhere a few quid above the threshold should bear in mind that a criminal act warranting a jail sentence will get you free board, lodging, heating, no council tax, free medical and dental care and a free cremation. Sadly given the crowding you may have to murder your MP in order to be sure of a place.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2024, 10:16:50 AM
FFS. (Seriously.) It depends when they retired and their age. In my case, 76 years old, part of my old age pension needed paper records to be found and searched for part of it. Forms £29 of my state pension.
It is VERY complex.
I agree it's complex but everyone under the age of 105 that had worked all their (working age) life would have the full state pension plus a SERPS or second state pension or be entitled to the new full state pension.

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 13, 2024, 09:00:38 AM
Please give an illustrative example of such
FFS. (Seriously.) It depends when they retired and their age. In my case, 76 years old, part of my old age pension needed paper records to be found and searched for part of it. Forms £29 of my state pension.
It is VERY complex.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2024, 07:22:27 AM
Unfortunately it does not work like that. There has been so much tinkering with the state pension system over the decades. some people who have worked all of their life still qualify for pension credit.
Please give an illustrative example of such

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 12, 2024, 10:13:29 PM
People that worked their whole life will not be on pension credit unless they weren't paying the full NI contribution while working. 
Unfortunately it does not work like that. There has been so much tinkering with the state pension system over the decades. some people who have worked all of their life still qualify for pension credit. 

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 12, 2024, 10:13:29 PM
People that worked their whole life will not be on pension credit unless they weren't paying the full NI contribution while working. 
Why should people that have worked all their lives be penalised? If you don't graft and breeze through life thinking the state will bail you out you should be prepared for the shock, unfortunately it's the educated that are being targeted. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borg Refinery on September 12, 2024, 09:04:55 AM
What's wrong with pensioners who are likely starving [and worked hard their whole lives for it] claim pension credit when the govt turns down their appeals for it again and again?

Imagine doing that your whole life then not even getting pension credit, that's just awful, that's much worse than the occasional case the Daily Heil picks up on

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 12, 2024, 11:44:58 AM
And where did I say they should refuse legitimate claims? In your head, that's where.
You didn't but the DWP does, (but you did imply it.) and as a result lose 70% of cases at tribunals the claimant wins using exactly the same evidence the DWP had already been given. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2024, 10:37:37 AM
Nick it is NOT the DWPs job to deny legitimate claims by disabled and/or very ill people. (It has been a national scandal since 1993.)
And where did I say they should refuse legitimate claims? In your head, that's where. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 12, 2024, 10:29:30 AM
That's the DWP's job, their default stance should be you're not getting it. The onus should be on the individual to prove their case and if they can't they don't get it.
Nick it is NOT the DWPs job to deny legitimate claims by disabled and/or very ill people. (It has been a national scandal since 1993.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2024, 06:47:09 AM
The numbers of pension credit applications refused does not surprise me, the application form has over 200 questions. The DWP does it's best to refuse any benefit applications often for no good reason.
That's the DWP's job, their default stance should be you're not getting it. The onus should be on the individual to prove their case and if they can't they don't get it. 

Barry

Quote from: News on September 12, 2024, 01:22:35 AM
Reeves said that the new means-tested scheme is necessary to address the £22billion black hole left by the Conservative government. <a href="https://www.gbnews.com/politics/politics-latest-winter-fuel-payments-starmer-reform-uk" target="_blank">Taking to X today,</a> she wrote: "I am under no illusion about the scale of the challenge we face after fourteen years of low economic growth.</p><p>"That's why we are taking the long-term decisions now to fix the foundations of our economy, so we can rebuild Britain and make every part of the country better off."
What a load of bilge

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borg Refinery on September 12, 2024, 09:04:55 AM
What's wrong with pensioners who are likely starving [and worked hard their whole lives for it] claim pension credit when the govt turns down their appeals for it again and again?

Imagine doing that your whole life then not even getting pension credit, that's just awful, that's much worse than the occasional case the Daily Heil picks up on
The problem with old folk is that they are generally too proud and too honest to even 'claim' for anything in the first place . Those that do can't bring themselves to bend the truth when filling in the forms . From what I'm told the secret in getting pay outs is to find something , anything that will get you pension credits even if its 50p on top of what you receive . That opens up the door to a whole raft of other benefits like reduced council tax , free TV , free dentist and glasses and yes the WFA .
It could mean doing something like moving /spending your savings which shows how broken the system is . You can have £20K in savings on Monday and not get anything , buy a car for £15K on Tuesday and on Wednesday you qualify .

Borg Refinery

+++