Intersectionality? Yep. It really is a thing and boy, am I bad!

Started by DeppityDawg, February 24, 2020, 11:39:41 AM

« previous - next »

Sampanviking

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17475 time=1582633435 user_id=50
It may the intention. But these kind of theories (I believe "intersectionality" is a feminist theory) almost always seem to promote the subject negatively - eg, as in "toxic masculinity" or those whose gender, skin colour or sexuality is "wrong" for the purposes of the theory being oppressors. Can you imagine a theory that cast women, or homosexuals or "people of colour" negatively being accepted?

No not at all, but then as you pointed out earlier, the whole basis of this seems to be the automatic conferring of victim status on people based purely on their accidents of their birth and oppressor status similarly.

I suspect Borky is right and that this is a piss take - I certainly hope so

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17497 time=1582657115 user_id=99
Their 'bit of a laugh' is one thing, the discussion in the thread is another, responses from Barry, & Dawg etc were questions in their own right irregardless of the page in the OP

I apologise if my earlier post offended you, but my posts were in reply to your response that social categories made sense, or words to that effect.

I think I've been pretty clear that I don't think theories (and it is only a theory) like this do anything to address the issues they seek to put right. I've given an example of how it throws up absurd conclusions simply to base all and any discussion about inequality on characteristics like skin colour or gender, because the argument is much more nuanced than that. I could take you to places up here, disadvantaged white working class areas, where you'd be scared to get out of the car, but according to this theory, these people somehow have a better chance in life than someone else simply because of their skin colour or their gender. It's absurd, yet (piss takes notwithstanding), there are people who promote this kind of divisive politics. It's not that I'm against fighting inequality, it's that this is a ridiculous way to claim to be doing it.

On top of that, it's hardly going to be constructive to social/race/gender relations to cast people as "oppressors" or "victims" based solely on characteristics they can't change. It's also offensive to judge people negatively on for example their skin colour in this way, and if you attempted to negatively portray "people of colour" or homosexuals as an unscientific result of a theory, you know it would be dismissed as racist or homophobic by liberals. Yet they don't see the irony (and hypocrisy) in a theory like this.

I know Im often too blunt for most posters liking, but that doesn't mean my views are held any less sincerely.

Nalaar

Quote from: Borchester post_id=17496 time=1582655938 user_id=62
??

Nalaar, you do realise that the guys and dolls that set up the Intersectionality website were having a bit of a laugh don't you?

No?

Oh dear.

Their 'bit of a laugh' is one thing, the discussion in the thread is another, responses from Barry, & Dawg etc were questions in their own right irregardless of the page in the OP
Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17481 time=1582639019 user_id=99
You would have to contact the website creator for that information, and I suspect their answer would be vague and boring.

Putting numbers on these kinds of factors in the way that they have done is (in my opinion) counter productive to their cause, as is shown over the pages of this topic.

??

Nalaar, you do realise that the guys and dolls that set up the Intersectionality website were having a bit of a laugh don't you?

No?

Oh dear.
Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

Quote from: Borchester post_id=17480 time=1582637136 user_id=62
If that is the case, why is a Briton given a 7 point advantage over anyone born else where?

You would have to contact the website creator for that information, and I suspect their answer would be vague and boring.

Putting numbers on these kinds of factors in the way that they have done is (in my opinion) counter productive to their cause, as is shown over the pages of this topic.

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17478 time=1582634343 user_id=99
I mentioned this in an earlier post, but yes it is somewhat inescapable that in order to know  that no category is being treated unequally, you must have an understanding and discrimination of categories.

If that is the case, why is a Briton given a 7 point advantage over anyone born else where?
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry post_id=17476 time=1582633823 user_id=51
......Why do application forms have sex, religion and ethnicity to be filled out?....

"We want equality and a World free from discrimination" Isn't that what those who come up with these theories claim?

.....meanwhile, back at the Police and Fire Service personnel department......

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry post_id=17476 time=1582633823 user_id=51The very fact we record this stuff shows we discriminate, whereas we could just have a name and qualifications.

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but yes it is somewhat inescapable that in order to know  that no category is being treated unequally, you must have an understanding and discrimination of categories.

Even given your example above example - Many assumptions can be made by something so simple as a name. The American example of job applicants referring to themselves as Joe -rather than their actual name José- attest to this.

Barry

I don't know why we can't just treat everyone equally. Why do we have to flag up what a person is and pigeonhole them in the first place?

Why do application forms have sex, religion and ethnicity to be filled out?

The very fact we record this stuff shows we discriminate, whereas we could just have a name and qualifications.
† The end is nigh †

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=17471 time=1582630309 user_id=79
The real issue behind all this is the new buzz words of "Levelling Up"

If this is done based on tackling real social disadvantage and not on the basis of the latest trendy theory.

Fort instance, for many Women/Girls of South Asian Heritage, the biggest obstacle in them achieving their full potential is not White, Middle Class, Straight Men, but the men from their own community.

I played with the woke-on-ameter and it would be funny if .....

It may the intention. But these kind of theories (I believe "intersectionality" is a feminist theory) almost always seem to promote the subject negatively - eg, as in "toxic masculinity" or those whose gender, skin colour or sexuality is "wrong" for the purposes of the theory being oppressors. Can you imagine a theory that cast women, or homosexuals or "people of colour" negatively being accepted?

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=17473 time=1582631143 user_id=79
I would say that the two conditions are remarkably similar, merely achieved by different means....

:lol:  :hattip
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

Quote from: cromwell post_id=17472 time=1582630743 user_id=48
Have to say Sampan (and I'm showing my age) but all this woke cobblers does my head in,the only woke that I relate to is "I woke with a headache cos I had too many beers" ;)

I would say that the two conditions are remarkably similar, merely achieved by different means....

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=17471 time=1582630309 user_id=79

If this is done based on tackling real social disadvantage and not on the basis of the latest trendy theory.

Fort instance, for many Women/Girls of South Asian Heritage, the biggest obstacle in them achieving their full potential is not White, Middle Class, Straight Men, but the men from their own community.

Have to say Sampan (and I'm showing my age) but all this woke cobblers does my head in,the only woke that I relate to is "I woke with a headache cos I had too many beers" ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17431 time=1582575146 user_id=99
With this apparent failure to engage in the most simple of conversations (Simple question - simple answer) I'll leave it at that.

Good call. You appear to think "intersectionality" means something, and I think it's yet another divisive "theory" dreamed up by the horrendously woke. Rhianna is a "victim" according to this theory, and I'm an "oppressor". If you seriously believe a theory like this will do anything other than further divide an already fractured society then it's not worth us discussing it anyway. I'm not voting for a theory that says I'm a ****. Why would I ffs? Like some of the comments in link, this kind idiocy is why ordinary working (white) people are turning away from the "progressive" parties, why people like Boris Johnson win elections, and why Trump will win a second term. What else do you expect people to do when you support theories that demonise them by race, gender and sexuality?