F1 Drivers Ready To Take On FIA Pres After Max Sanctioned For Swearing

Started by Borg Refinery, September 23, 2024, 12:18:38 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Bernie would have donated to anyone he thought could help him keep tobacco advertising in F1.  It just happened to be Labour at the time.

Clever hardworking guy Bernie but by no stretch of the imagination a nice guy. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borg Refinery on September 25, 2024, 08:35:49 PMWeren't Bernie and his good mate, Mr Mosley, pretty much Fascists?

Hard to say who's worse in these instances, but the years between now and Max and Bernie stepping back seem to have been the best years for F1, without Fascists or this Ben Sulayem in charge

What a guy
I thought Eccelstone was a Labour donor?  Might be wrong

Borg Refinery

Weren't Bernie and his good mate, Mr Mosley, pretty much Fascists?

Hard to say who's worse in these instances, but the years between now and Max and Bernie stepping back seem to have been the best years for F1, without Fascists or this Ben Sulayem in charge

QuoteIn January 2023, The Times newspaper resurfaced comments Ben Sulayem made on his now archived website in 2001. The newspaper quoted Sulayem as saying he did not like "women who think they are smarter than men, for they are not in truth". The veracity of the quotes was not refuted by Sulayem, but the FIA defended him saying "the remarks in this archived website from 2001 do not reflect the president's beliefs".[21]

What a guy
+++

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 24, 2024, 03:03:59 PM
I think you've missed that the swearing Max is being punished for wasn't in the race or qualifying (which alway have a time delay on broadcast messages) but was something he said during the irrelevant press conference on the Thursday - the day before cars even take to the track for practice.
Ah OK . In that case he needs pulling though a warning to his future conduct /fine would seem more appropriate than community service . Personally think they (FIA) are all getting a bit above themselves , money  talks and Mohammed Ben Sulayem has got more than most .
Would never have happened when Bernie was in charge ;)

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 24, 2024, 02:52:18 PM
If you are watching live sport you take it as it comes . Its only live once .

Does my head in at some football matches where the commentator keeps saying " sorry if anyone was offended by the language " as another person in the crowd shouts +&%$£" . If you dont like it press the mute button

I thought Norris and Hamilton were having a bit of a giggle at Max's expense when they were answering the question about Max's community service .But yes its a bit petty from the FIA ,making the sport sterile and emotionless is the last thing viewers want .
I think you've missed that the swearing Max is being punished for wasn't in the race or qualifying (which alway have a time delay on broadcast messages) but was something he said during the irrelevant press conference on the Thursday - the day before cars even take to the track for practice.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/13218318/max-verstappen-red-bull-driver-punished-for-swearing-during-f1-press-conference-ahead-of-singapore-gp

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 23, 2024, 12:25:46 PM
Plain stupid and not a little arrogant by the FIA

What would it cost them to have a 10 second delay on transmission and what action did the F1 powers take against Drive to Survive and the multiple expletives by Guenther Steiner?  None, they just took the Netflix money and loved the extra attendances the publicity gives.

Max is less than my favourite driver but this is just very unfair on him and good to see his rivals backing him.
If you are watching live sport you take it as it comes . Its only live once .

Does my head in at some football matches where the commentator keeps saying " sorry if anyone was offended by the language " as another person in the crowd shouts +&%$£" . If you dont like it press the mute button 

I thought Norris and Hamilton were having a bit of a giggle at Max's expense when they were answering the question about Max's community service .But yes its a bit petty from the FIA ,making the sport sterile and emotionless is the last thing viewers want .

Unlucky4Sum

Plain stupid and not a little arrogant by the FIA

What would it cost them to have a 10 second delay on transmission and what action did the F1 powers take against Drive to Survive and the multiple expletives by Guenther Steiner?  None, they just took the Netflix money and loved the extra attendances the publicity gives.

Max is less than my favourite driver but this is just very unfair on him and good to see his rivals backing him.

Borg Refinery

QuoteFormula One drivers will hold crunch talks to determine whether they take on Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile president Mohammed ben Sulayem after Max Verstappen was hit with a community service order for swearing.
Max Verstappen says the "silly" way in which the FIA has treated him by handing him a community service order for swearing in a press conference could hasten his departure from Formula One. Verstappen described his Red Bull as "f-----" in a televised press conference to preview the Singapore Grand Prix.
Verstappen was clearly infuriated by the FIA's ruling and effectively refused to answer questions in the official post-qualifying conference on Saturday, preferring to give fuller answers in a huddle with journalists in the Singapore paddock.

Lewis Hamilton has urged Verstappen to ignore the penalty – the details of which are yet to be finalised by the FIA – while Lando Norris, who trails Verstappen in the standings by 52 points following his win in Singapore, said it was "unfair" and he "didn't agree with any of it".
Alex Wurz, who competed for Benetton and Williams and now chairs the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, said: "As GPDA chairman, I have to officially say that we will of course discuss it internally, first reach a full consensus and then we will consider whether, and in what form, we will talk to the FIA and the president."

Torygraph

+++